Best Cycle/scooter For Tricycle

robert k
Posted
Posted

More of an observation than a recommendation. The Suzuki GD 110 I had was popular for trikes because it was about as economical as you can get but they are underpowered in my opinion. It will haul 2 to 4 people if the 4 are small but if you add a sidecar and then 4 passengers you find yourself having to speed up before you get to even modest hills so you don't bog down. About 15% larger rear sprocket might make that less noticeable but then the chain/ guard wouldn't fit anymore. In a flat area, the GD 110 would work fine with a smaller sidecar and be economical.

Honda TMX would still be my choice and I would wish it had more oomph for mountainous road.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
It looks like the Honda TMX is the way to go. 

Many (if not all) of the TMX's sold there are already set up with hard points for adding a trike. Just check with the dealer to make sure you get one, saves a lot of hassle to whoever is mounting the sidecar and cuts down welding on the frame. If you buy used, just look on right side for the hard points - like under the front of the gas tank near the neck you should see a "nut" set into a re-enforced plate welded there. 

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

The TMX Supremo (which replaced the TMX 155) comes with the hard points installed.  Actually, any of the Honda Business Class bikes have these points standard.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
ruwak
Posted
Posted

I own a Supremo 150 TMX and have it mounted to my sidecar. I have some friends who also use these bikes. One thing we have in common when it comes to these bikes and the new series of 125cc bikes that share the same look is that in order to use them for a trike you will need to reinforce your swingarm due to the fact that Honds switched to a lower quality Square-tube material from a nice, thick round-tube on the TMX 155. We used 1/4 inch 1x1 steel angle iron we had laying around from another project and it worked nicely. If you are familiar with the road from Dumaguete to Valencia via Talay, it blazes right up in 5th gear empty or 4th gear loaded as long as someone does not pull out in front of you and cause you to slow down or stop.

Other than that, a great bike, lots of power, the 5 speed and electric start is nice, and the 13 liter gas tank is good too

• Like 4