Asiana Airlines – Comment Please

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Last couple of trips I've been flying Singapore Airlines to Singapore, then Tiger to NAIA (could've gone Tiger from Brisbane to NAIA but the 15 hour layover in Darwin is a killer- if it was Changi I could deal with it, best airport in the world) the Cebu Pacific locally in PI.  I suspect I'm not telling you old hands anything new though.

When I can, I am using Singapore Airlines out of perth. It makes for a much shorter flight. Perth to Singapore, and then Singapore right to Mactan.

• Like 1

Ashanti
Posted
Posted
Incheon airport is large, or should that be long?  Many shops to keep you occupied although once you've walked half the length shops do seem to be much the same.  There was internet cafe there but geared towards Koreans, perhaps if you have your own laptop they might allow you to connect, no idea on that one.  I wanted to try some of the local restos but can't use chopsticks, I didn't see one person using normal utensils although I guess spoons must be available.  Thickshake was cheaper than water, western food outlets were reasonably priced.

Thanks Ruddy - that great summary ...............

can i lean on you more and asked how much was the ticket and which agent did you use?????

the one we seen advertised, everytime we phone them up - after the initial greetings they hang up.

have you tried exploring the surrounding area of the airport???????  and is it worth visiting to kill your 4-5 hours.  and did you change airline to connect to Cebu or was that Asiana flight direct to Cebu?????

cheers

Ashanti

Ashanti
Posted
Posted

I wanted to try some of the local restos but can't use chopsticks, I didn't see one person using normal utensils
Chopsticks is the normal there  :)

=What's "normal" depends of who are asked.

:no:  :lol:

Ruddy_Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)

Incheon airport is large, or should that be long?  Many shops to keep you occupied although once you've walked half the length shops do seem to be much the same.  There was internet cafe there but geared towards Koreans, perhaps if you have your own laptop they might allow you to connect, no idea on that one.  I wanted to try some of the local restos but can't use chopsticks, I didn't see one person using normal utensils although I guess spoons must be available.  Thickshake was cheaper than water, western food outlets were reasonably priced.

Thanks Ruddy - that great summary ...............

can i lean on you more and asked how much was the ticket and which agent did you use?????

the one we seen advertised, everytime we phone them up - after the initial greetings they hang up.

have you tried exploring the surrounding area of the airport???????  and is it worth visiting to kill your 4-5 hours.  and did you change airline to connect to Cebu or was that Asiana flight direct to Cebu?????

cheers

Ashanti

I used ebookers, the total price was £582.90, that was for return plus one change of date for the return without charge.  Check-in luggage was only 20kg if I remember rightly.  I can't remember if I called them or not before booking, I probably just went ahead and booked online anyway. 

Previously I was using Qatar Airlines but their prices jumped from £560ish to over £900, Asiana were probably the most competitive I could find at that time.

I never went outside of the airport if that's what you meant.  I did manage to take some nice pics from the inside looking out though.  It was the end of January and it had been snowing and there's nice views of the mountains in the distance.  For me the 4-5 hours passed pretty quickly.  The Incheon-Cebu leg was also Asiana. 

Edited by Ruddy_Rooster
  • Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just an aside on the chopstick issue:

In a Thai restaurant the other day with some friends and I asked the waitress "Why do you have chopsticks in here?"

She replied "Because most of you Farang think we use them back home so if they want their hipster cool real experience and they spend money, we give them chopsticks"

"Hahahahahaha fair point"

Gave her a big tip as she grinned at one of my friends sheepishly hiding his chopsticks :D

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 1

Dougbert
Posted
Posted

I've never flown Asiana or from Europe to PI.  But I have flown KoreanAir from California to Korea and also thru Korea to PI three times.  The service is great, the planes are clean, entertainment center at every seat in coach (games, TV, movies, music, etc.), USB and power port at every seat, many food choices if you call customer service before your flight.  Prices are good depending on the season and how far ahead you book.  The first time I flew them was for business and our company had a "lowest fare is what you fly" policy.  I was hoping for something else, but was pleasantly surprised and impressed with KA.

They fly direct from Incheon to Mactan (big planes--777, 747, or Airbus A330).  As Ruddy pointed out Incheon airport is huge.  It's a very nice airport.  If you have to be stuck somewhere with a layover it would be one of the better choices.  I have a 10 hour one on my way back every time.  There are short stay hotels in the security "quarantine" area (no need to exit and re-enter with all the hassles).  Also plenty of food options, shopping, rest areas upstairs to nap or relax.

I understand your husband's plight.  Mosquitoes love me.  In the PI I was gnawed inland, near the coast, indoors, outdoors, and everywhere in-between.  The trip I took in April-May was better (dry season), but I still got bit. 

Good luck!

• Like 2

Ashanti
Posted
Posted
I understand your husband's plight.  Mosquitoes love me.  In the PI I was gnawed inland, near the coast, indoors, outdoors, and everywhere in-between.  The trip I took in April-May was better (dry season), but I still got bit. 

The airport might be nice but it is still an airport and no different experience in going to any big shopping centre.  Mind you, my brats would love it but i don’t want my pocket murdered before we even started the holiday.  :)

We also love exploring so I was thinking of trying to taste the flavour of the country.  Give my brats a bit of education.  Not that it is appreciated mind.  But for 4-5 hours, my brat will just have to brave it!  :mocking:

On our last visit my husband had a mosquito bite inside the ear.  He was in terrible pain before the ENT burst the swelling.  So he is really getting wary on mosquito bites.

As we still have school age children – we are likely to visit during the Scottish school holidays which would like be July-August which are really peak time holiday travels.  Theres just no getting around it as UK schools doesn’t allow their students to take time off school for holidays so just have to bite the bullet.  There would likely be 5x of us travelling, hence I would appreciate a heads up of good price airlines as long as it is not Nigerian Airways or Broomstick Air, thank you…..   :lol:
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Oh, you have children.

Inchon Airport is awesome for children! Look for a small stage and seating area located middle of a concourse. There will be several young Koreans who will do a short cultural show. Your children (and you) can dress in traditional Korean dress and learn a dance or just watch a short concert.

At an T intersection of the main concourses look for a craft room. In it the same young Koreans will work with you or your children to build and paint a miniature traditional Korean furniture. I think they had some other projects as well.

• Like 1

Dougbert
Posted
Posted

Yes, and at least two of those plastic playground setups are in the gate areas.  Unfortunately Incheon is a bit far from anything interesting unless you have a longer layover.  It will take you an hour to get from the airport to Seoul proper (never mind getting from the gate to ground transportation).  Not sure what kid-friendly things there are to do there anyway.  Adults might enjoy touring the DMZ museum and tunnels dug under the border from the PRNK side (yikes) for future invasion.  That's a few miles north of Seoul so add another 30-min to an hour to get there.

• Like 1