Thought I Would Share My Situation

jon1
Posted
Posted

You have many good points and seem to be using some sound logic. I recommend to not burn any bridges in your escape from the rat race in the event that you have to return back to the States. 

I returned to the states once in the last 7 years for a brief visit and felt like the walls were closing in on me. So I can understand the comfortability factor. If you are looking for solid internet, I recommend the larger metro areas; Manila, Cebu, Davao and also the Subic Freeport. As far as safety goes, the Subic Freeport is the safest place that I have experienced to date. Not sure where you are frequenting but I would still take necessary precautions. Making friends with the neighborhood is a good thing but use some street smarts always.

I think that you are doing the right thing on planning for $2000 but hoping for $1000. I think that $1500/mo is a very realistic budget. It all depends on where you decide to set up. If you are in an expat area, it can cost significantly more but with that usually comes the things that you want (safety, stable power, etc.). When you start cutting costs you have to start trading off for things such as stable power, water, higher security costs, etc

• Like 5

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

WingmanPI, sounds like you have thought this out well, and certainly you have some very sound and logical advice from the members.

Certainly on a budget between 1,000 and 2,000 usd a month it is possible, and so long as you pick centers that have a core of Call Centres, like Manila, Cebu, Subic, Clark, etc. you will have power, and internet, and even security if required. It will depend on your life style, (Manila was toooooo much for me!)

so all that is left to say....., welcome and if you are up Angeles, Subic way drop in for a beer.

Papa Carl

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Were you a happy person where you are from?  If so you will be a happy person here.  If not then you won't.

I hate it when you talk sense  :lol:

when you sleep better with some noise from trikes and you feel more at home eating lechon manok with your hands than eating at a 4 star restaurant,  its time to move....

Have you had a DNA test to check you're not really a Filipino?  :lol:

• Like 5

wingmanPI
Posted
Posted

when you sleep better with some noise from trikes and you feel more at home eating lechon manok with your

hands than eating at a 4 star restaurant,  its time to move.... :)

Do you have a emergency savings fund? Suppose you are your girlfriend or someone in her immediate family needs hospital care? They want cash here. Did you figure in ALL those long term visa fees? Suppose someone in your family in the states is seriously ill and passes away,can you buy a ticket the next day for travel to states? Just some thought for you.

all good thoughts and yes I will have an emergency fund.  Like I said my situation is far from perfect financially and for 39 years

old it is quite a leap of faith.  It will be a very interesting journey I am sure.  I may even do some videos so those who are interested

can follow the adventure step by step.

• Like 3

wingmanPI
Posted
Posted

So just a little update. will be heading to PI in about 2 weeks. will be staying thru until the end of December so about 6 weeks. This

will be a good trial run as I will be treating as a test on the budget I have set and also will be working online while I am there. Obviously

I have been there many times before but this time I will be testing how the day to day working and sticking to a strict budget feels. It

will also give me a chance to concentrate 100% on my online biz efforts so it will be interesting to see the results. I may try to do some

videos while I am there as well and get a youtube channel up and running. At the very least I will keep this thread updated if anyone is

interested in how things work out.

• Like 5

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

when you sleep better with some noise from trikes and you feel more at home eating lechon manok with your

Do you have a emergency savings fund? Suppose you are your girlfriend or someone in her immediate family needs hospital care? They want cash here. Did you figure in ALL those long term visa fees? Suppose someone in your family in the states is seriously ill and passes away,can you buy a ticket the next day for travel to states? Just some thought for you.

all good thoughts and yes I will have an emergency fund.  Like I said my situation is far from perfect financially and for 39 years

old it is quite a leap of faith.  It will be a very interesting journey I am sure.  I may even do some videos so those who are interested

Hi Mate,

I'm about to make a similar jump for the same reasons, disaffected with life in Australia, with a similar income (in your higher range that is),  not that much older than you - bunch of old farts around here, I sometimes feel like the kid of the bunch - and been planning it for a number of years.  I thought about Thailand but their retirement visas are much tougher and limited to over 50 years of age and on my last few visits there, costs are soaring.  Cambodia has just lifted the need for a visa but their infrastructure is pretty bad but having said that, once you're out of Phnom Penh it is a truly beautiful country.  Settled on PI in the end though, for more reasons than I care to list. 

Really hope it all works out for you and you do find what you're looking for and yep, take the leap of faith;  it's better than dying wondering.

All the best

Brett

• Like 2

wingmanPI
Posted
Posted

Hi Mate,

I'm about to make a similar jump for the same reasons, disaffected with life in Australia, with a similar income (in your higher range that is),  not that much older than you - bunch of old farts around here, I sometimes feel like the kid of the bunch - and been planning it for a number of years.  I thought about Thailand but their retirement visas are much tougher and limited to over 50 years of age and on my last few visits there, costs are soaring.  Cambodia has just lifted the need for a visa but their infrastructure is pretty bad but having said that, once you're out of Phnom Penh it is a truly beautiful country.  Settled on PI in the end though, for more reasons than I care to list. 

Really hope it all works out for you and you do find what you're looking for and yep, take the leap of faith;  it's better than dying wondering.

All the best

Brett

Hey Brett, 

thanks for the good wishes and right back at ya. Yea who knows what will happen but it will be quite an adventure if nothing else.

I am sure it will come with many twists and turns but that happens in life anyway. my eyes are wide open and I dont expect it to

be easy but to me it's better than sitting in the states for another 15 years hoping for some windfall of cash. maybe it will end in

disaster but not knowing is kind of the fun part, lol!! cheers!

• Like 2

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

You will do fine with the budgets you plan.

Stay out of girly and strip bars (you can find a million girlfriends here, no need for girly bars) prefer the normal bars, keep far from fancy restaurants and cook a bit home.  

Rent a moderate place and do not waste your money to the lavish high end ones.

Avoid supporting the mama, papa, children, roosters dogs and cats of any potential girlfriend.

Then the 2000$ will take you a long way even at the heart of Manila.

• Like 3

wingmanPI
Posted
Posted

You will do fine with the budgets you plan.

Stay out of girly and strip bars (you can find a million girlfriends here, no need for girly bars) prefer the normal bars, keep far from fancy restaurants and cook a bit home.  

Rent a moderate place and do not waste your money to the lavish high end ones.

Avoid supporting the mama, papa, children, roosters dogs and cats of any potential girlfriend.

Then the 2000$ will take you a long way even at the heart of Manila.

the bars are not much of an attraction to me to be honest.  I have done everything there is to do and they just are not

that exciting anymore. besides, IMHO the more you know about the bars and the girls/people involved in them the less

you will want to be around them. no doubt I will go out and have some fun once in awhile but I have other things to

fill my time. thanks for the advice it is appreciated.

• Like 3