Car Title Transfer

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Has anyone transferred title to a car here in the Philippines? Thought I would ask before I trek down to the LTO. I know the answers given on this forum really prepared me for when I went and got my drivers license. Thanks all

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

I had a title transfered into my name from someone else ..... here is what I needed

Original OR and CR

Bill of sale notarized

I copy of the original owners ID .... (must be a picture ID)

At the same time I purchased tag sticker and insurance as they were due so I also needed an emission test and stencil of the frame and motor number

Total was around p8000 +

But like everything else with the LTO .... in your area it may very .... :mocking:

:cheersty:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

thanks,,,gives me a place to start,,have all that stuff or can get it,,,the car is my bro in law

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
deevey
Posted
Posted

Did this recently, needed first to get:

Step 1. Police Clearance / Stencil / Insurance. 

700-1k Insurance (you can save on this if you have your own insurance policy valid from exactly the registration date). 

100P - Stencil Guy (This is left kinda up to you).

350P - Police Clearance 

You'll need the Noratized deed of sale, photocopies of your ID, Previous owners ID, OR and CR

This Takes about 4 days - Be Warned!

Step 2. LTO

Emissions Test: 450P

Stencil Guy - Same as above*

Change of Ownership - 350P    

New CR/ 1yr Registration/Sticker - Just over 2k (1.6 mazda 3)

Late Fine - 1k (we didn't realize the clearance would take 4 days or would have saved this - new month brings a 50% of registration fine). 

* Stenciling with the "certified" LTO Supposed to be the same as PNP around 100P "Tip" but the guy just complained about our model of car, didn't even have a jack to see our engine number (under the car) and we burned about an hour in traffic only to be charged by a Petron garage he brought us to in order to raise the car. After we got back and ignored him hanging around for 20 mins he got the message we were peeved and buggered off sheepishly.  

Change of ownership was 450

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)
Step 1. Police Clearance / Stencil / Insurance. 700-1k Insurance (you can save on this if you have your own insurance policy valid from exactly the registration date). 100P - Stencil Guy (This is left kinda up to you). 350P - Police Clearance

Like i said .... nothing is standardizer here in the Phils .... in Cebu we didn't have to get anything from the cops .... and I suggest that anyone going to do the title change or anything that has to do with a governmental agency here in the Phils you better just go down in person and find out their requirements yourself and just hope and pray they give you all the correct info and not just part .... 

Ex. ...... we were charged p700 for a EWD (early warning device) those cute little plastic folding triangles to put behind your car if you have to stop beside the road .... we already had a set but according to the LTO we needed a set that had an approved sticker ... we were told we couldn't get our car registered here in Bacolod (by the LTO) with out this sticker .... the ones we bought were p450 .... go figure ..... so what do you do .... if you want your car registered you do what they want .... give'um an additional p700 ....

I checked on the web and NO WHERE does it state you can get your registration with out having these EWD's .... just that you can be fined if stopped and yes the LTO has to approve the EWD AND give you a sticker .... but you don't have to buy them from the LTO ..... so now we have 4 of these cute little suckers .... :thumbsup: :mocking:

LTO to enforce law on use of early warning device

By: Philippine News Agency

June 24, 2012 7:26 PM

InterAksyon.com

The online news portal of TV5

DUMAGUETE CITY - The Land Transportation Office (LTO) District Office of Bais City, Negros Oriental will soon enforce a law that mandates drivers of public and private 4-wheeled vehicles to carry a pair of the prescribed standard early warning devices (EWD).

LTO-Bais District Office chief Alberta Janine Lawas said this was in line with a nationwide directive to ensure the safety of road users, especially when vehicles that encounter trouble were forced to park alongside the road.

While a timeline has not yet been set by the LTO central office for the EWD law, Lawas has appealed to owners of four-wheeled vehicles to begin acquiring the prescribed yellow and red triangles that are to be used as early warning devices.

Lawas noted that many vehicle owners do not have these objects in their driven units and it is a common site where owners or drivers of four-wheeled distressed vehicles parked alongside the road use other items such as broken tree branches as an early warning device.

The prescribed triangular early warning device will have to meet LTO standards and should pass inspection by the said agency, Lawas said. A sticker shall be attached to the back to show that it had been approved by the LTO.

Lawas said she awaited word from the LTO regional office in Cebu for the list of accredited shops and stores selling the standard early warning device.

These accessories are not a requirement for motor vehicle registration but these should be presented during checkpoints upon demand by a deputized traffic law enforcer.

People who fail to carry and present the EWDs would be fined and penalized for non-compliance, Lawas said, even as she clarified that tricycles and motorcycles were exempted from such law.

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Has anyone transferred title to a car here in the Philippines?

I paid someone to do it for me and I suggest the same. Any time you can avoid these dysfunctional govt agencies it's money well spent.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Has anyone transferred title to a car here in the Philippines? Thought I would ask before I trek down to the LTO. I know the answers given on this forum really prepared me for when I went and got my drivers license. Thanks all

Hey Scott,

Perhaps you should PM Paul ( Not at this address /) to give you some advice.  He's been around

the block with shenanigans of LTO in Cebu area.  

Best of luck -- Jake

• Like 1

deevey
Posted
Posted

I paid someone to do it for me and I suggest the same. Any time you can avoid these dysfunctional govt agencies it's money well spent.

I'm happy to say that in Manila all Gov. Agencies I've dealt with of late (LTO, BOI, PNP) have been fantastic and completely straight forward once you ignore and get past the Fixers hanging out around the front gate. The fee's are bloody impossible to total up, but after going through them I have never been overcharged by any of them (wtf is the express lane fee when there is no non-express lane eh ?)

Even so far as when we needed to pay the 350 peso fee to the PNP for the clearance cert we'd heard there was runners who would deposit the fee to the bank (as there is no cashiers inside)...however when we got there, none were around so we asked the Cop doing the processing about it, his reply was "I did not want to suggest it to you as its against regulations, but as you asked for advice on this I can give you the number of someone I know"

Hope the rest of the country follows suit as it's really simplifying and cleaning up things nicely.   

On another note, (at least in Manila) if the cars registration is up-to-date and has a few months remaining (ours had almost a full year remaining) you can save quite a few pesos by waiting until near registration time and having the change of ownership done when it comes to registration time. So long as the insurance policy is valid and in your name, and you keep a photocopy of the OR/CR and Deed of sale in the car.

Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment but I genuinely just don't trust other parties to handle anything that has personal info on it TBH and for next time I know it'll be a simple trip to LTO get the emissions test / stenciling done (I'll bring a jack next time!) and just wait half an hour for the new registration - we might even make it easier on ourselves by transferring the registration to the QC LTO office (100 pesos). 

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Even so far as when we needed to pay the 350 peso fee to the PNP for the clearance cert we'd heard there was runners who would deposit the fee to the bank (as there is no cashiers inside)...however when we got there, none were around so we asked the Cop doing the processing about it, his reply was "I did not want to suggest it to you as its against regulations, but as you asked for advice on this I can give you the number of someone I know"

I'm confused about what you're saying, this sounds exactly like the typical kind of crap I don't want to deal with. As for trusting other parties with personal info, the only personal info on the registration is my address and the person I'm trusting it to is a friend I've known for years, not some clown in a parking lot. I'm glad your experiences with the govt acronyms have been happy ones but it's not always so.

• Like 1

deevey
Posted
Posted

and the person I'm trusting it to is a friend I've known for years, not some clown in a parking lot.

My bad, assumed it was one of the "reliable friend" whom I've often been put in contact with though friends who've (I felt) had been scalped for services rendered in the past. 

In the case above the runner was just depositing straight into the bank, Just the name and no other personal info required and 100p was less than we'd burn in fuel getting there - one of the few occasions I've felt the need to use someone to do a chore. 

Anyhoo, like you said, everywhere is different though, hopefully (or not) I'll get around to see the way things work elsewhere. 

• Like 1