Is It Worth Building A House Compared To Buying One?

Bigdog
Posted
Posted

FIRST thing I'd do is get my butt over here and MEET the filipina IN PERSON before i even started talking about building HER a house lol...seeing as the OP will will NEVER OWN a home here I'd establish a bit more of a relationship before i started throwing money and houses to a filipina( or any other woman)...

• Like 5

billygoat993
Posted
Posted (edited)

Bigdog easy to find Filipina girl cause before tou know it they are all over you. Hard to find someone that would be there for a lifetime though. You are right play safe. Glad I am past that stage and happy with my wife.. good luck to all of us here

Edited by billygoat993
  • Like 1

Bigdog
Posted
Posted

lol i have found mine , been coming here 3 years now for 6 months at a time , with the same one..just now starting to talk about visas/houses/marriage .. The OP was saying he had never even been here or met "his girl" in person and was already buying houses ..Just waaay to fast to know if they really can get along more less move to a 3rd world country..

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Miguk
Posted
Posted
And, we did look into Batangas, Mindoro, Palawan, Bohol and Cebu beforehand.

Where are you at now?

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

Still in Toronto.

The house in the Philippines is in the island province of Marinduque.  We chose Marinduque for many reasons - for its safety (very low crime rate, second only to Batanes), for being a Tagalog-speaking province, for the incredibly warm people, for the beautiful churches and scenery, for its cleanliness, for its relative proximity to the mainland, for the tranquility!

Miguk
Posted
Posted

Ok thanks.  Do you have family there (Marinduque).  Despite how much everyone hates on it, I think I am going to end up living in Metro Manila

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Ok thanks.  Do you have family there (Marinduque).  Despite how much everyone hates on it, I think I am going to end up living in Metro Manila

I suppouse some don't hate living there, because some do even when not need too. But it's better for me the more people living in cities, because that make more free space rural for me  :)

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

No family in Marinduque.  My wife hails from Eastwood in Manila, although her ancestral home is in Pasay.  And, no, we're not trying to get away from her family.  We just fancy island living.

Would we live in Manila?  It wouldn't be out of the question.  There is still space for us to build both in Eastwood and in Pasay, and we might still do that.  If we had school aged kids, we would definitely pick Manila.

Miguk
Posted
Posted

I was assigned to the U.S. Embassy in Manila for 5 years so I am intimately familar (for good and bad) with Manila.  It is the place I am most comfortable being in (albeit country living has its charms, but only if I am living in the country in the U.S. -- province living in the Philippines is like going back in time (and not in a good way for the most part).

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted

province living in the Philippines is like going back in time (and not in a good way for the most part).

Internet is less reliable, more power outages, shopping is limited, poor medical, poor schools, etc. It's also cheaper, no pollution or traffic, far less crime, friendlier people and so forth. For some of us going back in time is a good thing. To each his own. 

• Like 3