Is It Worth Building A House Compared To Buying One?

Miguk
Posted
Posted

To each his (or her) own indeed.  I could easily live in my wife's province but for me "comfortable" and "retirement" are inseparable.....and living there in no way denotes comfortable.  From the naked, dirty kids running around to the stray dogs sh&tting and pissing everywhere to the moronic karaoke diehards still at it at 4am to the drunks already yelling and fighting at the sari-sari store at 7am to the unbearable heat and dust at times and horrendous floods at other times (in addition to the aforementioned power and internet outages and death wish-like hospitals).......I will respectfully have to pass up the pastoral life

jpbago
Posted
Posted
no pollution or traffic

I agree with Miguk. It seems like there is more pollution in the country as they burn everything all day long. There is no garbage pick up. There is a constant haze and stench. As for traffic, everything and everyone is on the road from caribaos to tractors, to 12 year old kids driving motorcycles. Hundreds of tricycles and triskeads slowing everything down. The streets and highways are workshops.There is no emission testing enforced in the country.

I think that living close to a large city would be the best for me. I live in a city of 160,000 and it has the services comparable to a settlement of 2,000 people in the real world. There is nothing here except pollution, garbage, and traffic. (and her family)

Renting is the best way to go.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

province living in the Philippines is like going back in time (and not in a good way for the most part).

Internet is less reliable, more power outages, shopping is limited, poor medical, poor schools, etc. It's also cheaper, no pollution or traffic, far less crime, friendlier people and so forth. For some of us going back in time is a good thing. To each his own. 

Yes, except it's possible to settle rural short enough drive from a good big city hospital too.

Still in Toronto.

The house in the Philippines is in the island province of Marinduque.  We chose Marinduque for many reasons - for its safety (very low crime rate, second only to Batanes), for being a Tagalog-speaking province, for the incredibly warm people, for the beautiful churches and scenery, for its cleanliness, for its relative proximity to the mainland, for the tranquility!

The smaller island the less crime?

No point being thief if you will be caught every time, because everyone will know it's you who did it, because you are the only thief on the island  :lol:

To each his (or her) own indeed.  I could easily live in my wife's province but for me "comfortable" and "retirement" are inseparable.....and living there in no way denotes comfortable.  From the naked, dirty kids running around to the stray dogs sh&tting and pissing everywhere to the moronic karaoke diehards still at it at 4am to the drunks already yelling and fighting at the sari-sari store at 7am to the unbearable heat and dust at times and horrendous floods at other times (in addition to the aforementioned power and internet outages and death wish-like hospitals).......I will respectfully have to pass up the pastoral life

No such if living rural with no neighbours  :)

Isn't it more such in Manila?   :)   (Both the red marked and dangerous floods.)

Comfortable modern houses can be built on the countryside too.  I know, because I have one   :)

Problem to get good Internet though. Electric can be solved easy by having an own generator.

Miguk
Posted
Posted
No such if living rural with no neighbours :)

True - but there are still family :lol:

Miguk
Posted
Posted

province living in the Philippines is like going back in time (and not in a good way for the most part).

Internet is less reliable, more power outages, shopping is limited, poor medical, poor schools, etc. It's also cheaper, no pollution or traffic, far less crime, friendlier people and so forth. For some of us going back in time is a good thing. To each his own. 

Yes, except it's possible to settle rural short enough drive from a good big city hospital too.

Still in Toronto.

The house in the Philippines is in the island province of Marinduque.  We chose Marinduque for many reasons - for its safety (very low crime rate, second only to Batanes), for being a Tagalog-speaking province, for the incredibly warm people, for the beautiful churches and scenery, for its cleanliness, for its relative proximity to the mainland, for the tranquility!

The smaller island the less crime?

No point being thief if you will be caught every time, because everyone will know it's you who did it, because you are the only thief on the island  :lol:

No such if living rural with no neighbours  :)

Isn't it more such in Manila?   :)   (Both the red marked and dangerous floods.)

Comfortable modern houses can be built on the countryside too.  I know, because I have one   :)

Problem to get good Internet though. Electric can be solved easy by having an own generator.

Not where I lived before.  No stray kids, stray dogs, stray drunks, or stray singers....plus great broadband and no power outages (imperial Manila and all) and one of the best malls in the country across the street.  The only problem was I wasn't paying for it -- Uncle Sam was :hystery: I couldn't afford it on my pathetic future retirement!

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

The only problem was I wasn't paying for it --

:rolleyes: Nice Problem to have, Say I!  :mocking:  better still, if it was the only problem you have but here you are now, living in reality OUCH!  Springs to mind. :)

:tiphat:

Miguk
Posted
Posted

The only problem was I wasn't paying for it --

:rolleyes: Nice Problem to have, Say I!  :mocking:  better still, if it was the only problem you have but here you are now, living in reality OUCH!  Springs to mind. :)

Yup I got spoiled living in Makati and can't settle for anything less (but can't afford any :boohoo: more :th_unfair:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Yup I got spoiled living in Makati and can't settle for anything less (but can't afford any more

Odd how life takes it's form, we sit out on the terrace some nights and if our Daughter, is in a rare for her, Good mood, Money always seems to come into the conversation.  :unsure:  not too long ago, after a couple of cool SMB's I got brave enough to tell her, babe, look at all this Garden and House, one Day all this will be yours to have and do as you wish with. I hope that you will be able to afford to Run it. well said she, I will have my inheritance  won't I.

Cough! Cough!  :mocking:  sorry little one ( She is 14) Mama and I have spent your Inheritance, buying the lot and Building the House. WHY? was the indignant question that followed, Well honey my wife said, you, did not like the noisy dirty city area, we lived in before ( we rented then) SO!

Moral here.

Rent and we were wrong. (dirty, noisy city) 

Buy land and Build we were wrong.( Savings all gone but nice ,clean and fairly problem free.) 

Seems whatever we decide to do,  we can Please some of the family all the time, all the family some of the time BUT never all, the family all the time.

Ain't life grand  :thumbsup:

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Not where I lived before. No stray kids, stray dogs, stray drunks, or stray singers....plus great broadband and no power outages (imperial Manila and all) and one of the best malls in the country across the street. The only problem was I wasn't paying for it -- Uncle Sam was :hystery: I couldn't afford it on my pathetic future retirement!
But motorbike noice and polluted air  :)

(When I were kid and we went back to Stockholm (only 1 mill citizens) after being in countryside, I could tell with closed eyes when we reached the first suburb by the smell of the polluted air...   :)   So I moved from the city as soon as I could...)

Miguk
Posted
Posted

Not where I lived before. No stray kids, stray dogs, stray drunks, or stray singers....plus great broadband and no power outages (imperial Manila and all) and one of the best malls in the country across the street. The only problem was I wasn't paying for it -- Uncle Sam was :hystery: I couldn't afford it on my pathetic future retirement!

But motorbike noice and polluted air  :)

(When I were kid and we went back to Stockholm (only 1 mill citizens) after being in countryside, I could tell with closed eyes when we reached the first suburb by the smell of the polluted air...   :)   So I moved from the city as soon as I could...)

Surprisingly enough the various villages in Makati had a lot of trees and were quite large (and no damned trikes or jeepneys allowed) so the pollution (both air and noise) was not really that bad.