Srrv

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted

I am reading some negative comments regarding the SRRV visa.  This is the option I am currently pursuing, are there better options????  What is the easiest, most cost effective visa to look into (going to retire there)?

Thanks

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
What is the easiest, most cost effective visa to look into (going to retire there)?

Are you US military retired?

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted

Yes I am, does that play into the visa question?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

The people I know with the SRRV are happy with it. The people I know without one say it is just too expensive to lock that much money up.

• Like 1

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

I believe the Srrv is ONLY for ex US military.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I believe the Srrv is ONLY for ex US military.

Not really.  There are multiple SRRV visas.  But there is one for them.  Here is a list of them - but rumor has it that the Courtesy is getting expanded for military members a bit...  My only option right now is the Classic with a $50,000 deposit... not going to happen ha ha  :tiphat:

http://www.pra.gov.ph/main/srrv_program?page=1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Not really.  There are multiple SRRV visas.  But there is one for them.  Here is a list of them - but rumor has it that the Courtesy is getting expanded for military members a bit...  My only option right now is the Classic with a $50,000 deposit... not going to happen ha ha 

It might be worthwhile to double check. If you are receiving a small pension, the deposit amount is reduced to $10,000. There are authorized agents who can assist you for "free" because their compensation comes from the $1,500 application fee. The PRA pays the authorized agents $500. At the present time, most of them are interpreters and translators for Chinese, Korea and Japanese clients. (I suspect they also charge the applicant a fee.)

If the "Courtesy" SRRV visa for US military becomes a reality, our plan is to start a website/blog using the previously registered domain name www.retiredwarriors.com (under construction). Purpose is to provide information and assistance.

I am hoping Dr. Vernie Atienza, the CEO and General Manager of the Philippine Retirement Authority will be in Los Angeles next week for the Federation of Philippine-American Chambers of Commerce conference. Perhaps he can provide an update. 

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Not really.  There are multiple SRRV visas.  But there is one for them.  Here is a list of them - but rumor has it that the Courtesy is getting expanded for military members a bit...  My only option right now is the Classic with a $50,000 deposit... not going to happen ha ha 

It might be worthwhile to double check. If you are receiving a small pension, the deposit amount is reduced to $10,000. There are authorized agents who can assist you for "free" because their compensation comes from the $1,500 application fee. The PRA pays the authorized agents $500. At the present time, most of them are interpreters and translators for Chinese, Korea and Japanese clients. (I suspect they also charge the applicant a fee.)

If the "Courtesy" SRRV visa for US military becomes a reality, our plan is to start a website/blog using the previously registered domain name www.retiredwarriors.com (under construction). Purpose is to provide information and assistance.

I am hoping Dr. Vernie Atienza, the CEO and General Manager of the Philippine Retirement Authority will be in Los Angeles next week for the Federation of Philippine-American Chambers of Commerce conference. Perhaps he can provide an update. 

Ok, here's one that I can reply to with some confidence.  With the SRRV nationality has no bearing on your status, JJ's recent revelations with regards to ex-US servicemen(women) aside.  The SRRV is not military orientated at all.  I've been dealing with the PI consulate here in Australia a fair bit lately and whilst some things have changed, basically an SRRV will cost you $20kUSD if you have no other provable income.  It will cost you $10kUSD if you are in receipt of some sort of payment that you can prove in perpetuity i.e. a military pension, self-funded retiree drawing an annuity, a stupid enough amount of money in the bank where there interest counts as income.  They all have varying degrees of onus of proof and depend on your circumstances.  Unlike Thailand, there is no minimum age for this; got money? You can stay.  

There are of course other options; marrying a resident (note I say resident, not citizen) or doing the tourist visa hop approximately every 23(?) months.  Best advice I can give is talk to your local consulate if you're not already in-country and if at all possible, have it organised, or at least a plan before you arrive. 

Correct me if I'm wrong JJ, but it really is as simple as that. 

Edit:  The marriage option is a lot more complicated than it seems given the PI laws on annulment and such

Edited by BrettGC

MikeB
Posted
Posted
It might be worthwhile to double check. If you are receiving a small pension, the deposit amount is reduced to $10,000.

Not if he's under 50.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

What the Philippine Retirement Authority (PRA) promotes is the Special Resident Retiree's Visa (SRRV). Depending on your circumstances, you might apply for an SRRV Smile, SRRV Classic, SRRV Human Touch or the SRRV Courtesy.

As a government authority, the PRA has its own Board of Directors. The Board can approve changes. The example is placing US Military retiree applicants under SRRV Courtesy requiring the payment of a $1,500 application fee and nominal annual fees.

What makes things complicated from a bureaucracy point of view is the retiree visa application is processed through the PRA, but the issuer (final approval) of the application is the Bureau of Immigration. PRA is under the Department of Tourism and BI I believe is under the Department of Foreign Affairs. Sometimes the two departments do not see eye-to-eye. The example is the Secretary of Tourism prematurely announcing the visa waiver extension to 30 days. That announcement pissed off some bureaucrats, which delayed implementation by nearly a year. Bureaucratic turf is a sensitive issue. 

Similarly, the Department of Tourism wanted the visa waiver to be 180 days. I won't get into the politics, but the BI said, "No." The reason is loss of revenues for them. The compromise is 180 days, but you have to pay for it.

My question for the PRA, since the main requirement is approval by their Board of Director, why not extend the SRRV Courtesy to retired military personnel from other countries like Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom? Why limit it to retired US military personnel? I Am Bob brought up this issue about six months ago.   

• Like 1