Srrv

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
Starting 2014, my plan is to crisscross the United States in a motorhome to promote the Philippines as a retirement destination. I hope to receive invitations to speak to chambers of commerce, rotary clubs, military groups, civic organizations, etc. on this topic. We will encounter many retired, full-time RVers at the campgrounds. These are seniors who sold their primary residence. Rather than a condominium in Florida, they purchased a Class A or Class C RV costing $350,000 to $1,000,000. (I am buying a Class B.) Well, someday health issues will prevent them from driving and they will require assistance from caregivers. Time to sell the recreation vehicle and move to the Philippines. If I don't achieve my goal, my wife and I will have lots of fun crisscrossing the United States. We are also planning at least one trip using the Trans Canada Highway and possibly the Alaska-Canadian Highway built during WWII.

LOL Nice JJ!  It's a tough job but someone's gotta do it!

• Like 1

Markham
Posted
Posted (edited)

The United States has reciprocal visa waiver programs with 36 countries

Well .... almost but not quite: it's not reciprocal. Americans can certainly travel to those 36 countries without needing a visa but citizens of those countries can not check-in and board a plane to the US unless they have been pre-cleared by the US authorities. And that pretty much amounts to a visa requirement. Edited by Markham

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Well .... almost but not quite: it's not reciprocal. Americans can certainly travel to those 36 countries without needing a visa but citizens of those countries can not check-in and board a plane to the US unless they have been pre-cleared by the US authorities. And that pretty much amounts to a visa requirement.

Not quiet true Markham, I know that US citizens have to apply for the visa waiver online before departure entering any of the reciprocal countries, the same is for non-US residents entering the US.  What this means is that you no longer have to apply for a visa - i.e. go to your local US consulate in person, wait for hours, pay a fee.  The visa waiver can be done in minutes and is free and there is no physical endorsement, like there used to be, in your passport;  I forgot to extend mine once and did it on my smart phone at the airport, it really is as simple as that.  

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Moved topic.

Markham
Posted
Posted

Well .... almost but not quite: it's not reciprocal. Americans can certainly travel to those 36 countries without needing a visa but citizens of those countries can not check-in and board a plane to the US unless they have been pre-cleared by the US authorities. And that pretty much amounts to a visa requirement.

Not quiet true Markham, I know that US citizens have to apply for the visa waiver online before departure entering any of the reciprocal countries, the same is for non-US residents entering the US.  What this means is that you no longer have to apply for a visa - i.e. go to your local US consulate in person, wait for hours, pay a fee.  The visa waiver can be done in minutes and is free and there is no physical endorsement, like there used to be, in your passport;  I forgot to extend mine once and did it on my smart phone at the airport, it really is as simple as that.

AFAIK, not for the UK, Brett.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

There are similarities to the situation in the Philippines and the United States with regards to visa issues. The Department of Tourism prefers ease of entry to increase revenues from visitors. I was involved in preparing the research why a 90 days visa waiver makes sense. This is what attracts snowbirds to a warm climate country. For the Philippine Retirement Authority, staying in a country for 90 days once or several times is a first step towards permanent relocation. The problem is the Bureau of Immigration, which is under another department, views a 90 days visa waiver (free) as loss of revenues.

Treaties are reciprocal and the Department of State negotiates agreements with their counterparts. These agreements allow me to visit the U.K., Germany, Brunei Darussalam, Japan, etc. and stay for 90 days without a visa. The problem is the Department of Homeland Security claims the policy has an effect on national security. Their requirement is a visitor needs to first register and provide all kinds of information through a website prior to entry. Another requirement is facial recognition scan and thumbprint at the Immigration booth.

It is also interesting to note that the United States is the only large country in the world with no Department of Tourism. Tourism promotion is up to the individual states. 

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1