Standing Up To Thief- Yes Or No?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Its been my opinion before that its better to let a thief take what he wants rather than be shot, some agree and some don't.

This guy probably made two mistakes, first wearing a necklace that must have had some value to it and fighting back.

Australian man shot while on golfing holiday in Philippines

A MELBOURNE man holidaying in the Philippines was shot four times after standing up to a thief.

Dave Toseland, 63, of Brunswick, has been flown to Singapore, where he remains in hospital with severe injuries.

Mr Toseland, who had been in the Philippines for two weeks on a golfing holiday, was buying a newspaper at a shop in Manila on October 26 when he was confronted by bandits who tried to steal his necklace.

He was shot when he resisted. Friend Michael O'Loughlin said one bullet passed through his arm and into his collarbone, and Mr Toseland also suffered wounds to the stomach and lung.

Local media reported Mr Toseland was shot with a .38 calibre revolver.

Charges were being prepared against the suspected gunman, who reportedly had been a suspect in another non-fatal shooting days earlier.

Mr O'Loughlin said his mate, who goes by the nickname "Bull Bar", was a very tough man.

"He's a top fellow," Mr O'Loughlin said.

"He's as honest as the day is long. He'd give you the last dollar he had."

Mr O'Loughlin said all who knew Mr Toseland were grateful his condition appeared to have improved since he arrived in Singapore.

Unable to speak in the days after he was shot, Mr Toseland had still managed to communicate his wish to come home.

"Get the f--- out of here," he wrote in a note from his hospital bed.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/brunswick-man-shot-while-on-golfing-holiday-in-philippines/story-fni0fee2-1226753734572

• Like 4

brock
Posted
Posted

Whats he doing walking around Manila with a chain around his neck, Are these people just plain stupid.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I think one of the most misunderstood notions is that if you stand up to these A-holes they will back off and in some countries this maybe true .... but not here .... life means little or nothing and couple that with hotheadedness and false pride and you have the makings of a volatile concoction that can explode any minute .... I mean when you can live better in jail than in the street what have you got to loose .... JMHO

:cheersty:  

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

It is just not worth it. I have been coming to Philippines for years, and I still only take things with me when I go out that I can afford to lose, just in case I am robbed. I take my 400peso phone with me, about 2000peso in case, and my ATM card....but they would never find that...haha.....they would have to buy me dinner first before they would find the ATM card :)

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I think one of the most misunderstood notions is that if you stand up to these A-holes they will back off

I believe you are right.  I know there are aggressive, gangster types here.  And yet the only people I know who have inflicted physical damage on other human beings are fellow expat foreigners, old farts in many cases but still quite strong.  Its amazing how some of these 50 and 60 year old dudes think they are superman after a few drinks.  Those situations never make the papers though.

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I wonder what happened in the case of the French tourist who was murdered last March in broad daylight when he resisted giving up his bag containing the equivalent of about $900? The suspect was identified but the newspaper stories stopped in March. As I recall it took about an hour to get him across the street to the hospital. Similar to the Anikow murder in Makati when it took the paramedics almost an hour to get him to the hospital at 4am because they thought he was already dead (he wasn't - until later).

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/69711/suspect-in-french-tourist-slay-traced-thru-getaway-car

• Like 4

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I wonder what happened in the case of the French tourist who was murdered last March in broad daylight when he resisted giving up his bag containing the equivalent of about $900? The suspect was identified but the newspaper stories stopped in March. As I recall it took about an hour to get him across the street to the hospital. Similar to the Anikow murder in Makati when it took the paramedics almost an hour to get him to the hospital at 4am because they thought he was already dead (he wasn't - until later).

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/69711/suspect-in-french-tourist-slay-traced-thru-getaway-car

I hope that was not my ERUF paramedics.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

ERUF is only in Cebu City, right? Both these events happened in Manila. ERUF picked me up after my accident and took me to the ER, a long way from where it happened. Never asked for a penny. No doubt they saved my life.

• Like 4

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

ERUF is only in Cebu City, right? Both these events happened in Manila. ERUF picked me up after my accident and took me to the ER, a long way from where it happened. Never asked for a penny. No doubt they saved my life.

Yep correct, ERUF only operate in Cebu. Speaking of never asking for a penny....it is always funny....when we pick locals up for some medical complaint, the relatives always try to give us money :), which my guys always politely refuse :).

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

My question, "Is your life worth the price of a necklace?" Medic Mike is correct. When walking about in the Philippines, carry only what you can afford to lose. 

• Like 2