Standing Up To Thief- Yes Or No?

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted (edited)

I think one of the most misunderstood notions is that if you stand up to these A-holes they will back off and in some countries this maybe true .... but not here .... life means little or nothing and couple that with hotheadedness and false pride and you have the makings of a volatile concoction that can explode any minute .... I mean when you can live better in jail than in the street what have you got to loose .... JMHO

:cheersty:  

Mike, I read this, I understand it, and I agree wholehearedly with it. But for some of us, to retaliate is not a question of choice.

It happens because its a gut reaction. The body is moving before the brain is engaged. There have been occasions when, even

after I start to retaliate I'm thinking " sh&t, what am I doing !"

Takes a while to change that behaviour.

It's documented that for people and animals, when faced with immediate danger there are three possible instinctive behaviours,

Freeze, Flee or Fight. Thought is not involved.

It's best to do some thinking first and avoid if possible, all those situations which may put you in danger. Of course wearing

expensive gear is asking for trouble. Keeping a low profile and a benign appearance may not help but it doesn't do any harm.

Beats looking aggressive.

Anybody know where Medic Mike keeps his bank card ?

For those who get the wrong idea, I'm normally a quiet, even tempered, easy going kind of guy, and proud of it.

Edited by Classic Dry
  • Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
Anybody know where Medic Mike keeps his bank card ?

Not exactly sure but I am fairly certain I want to avoid any ATMs he has used!   :hystery:

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
AllenInWV
Posted
Posted

I am pretty sure there is no single "catch all" answer to the question of whether one should resist being robbed. There are way too many variables.

Obviously, I know nothing of Philippine law, but seeing how convoluted US law is (specifically using lethal force), I can't imagine...Pinoy? law is any less complex. Add to that the fact that you are a foreigner. So even if you successfully resist a robbery, you could be in trouble.

Then there are "tactical" considerations. Is it one guy? A group? Is he/Are they armed? With what? Do you have the training/tools to resist effectively? Etc. etc.

Here in the US, amongst the concealed carry crowd, there is the feeling that "if the guy has demonstrated he's willing to disregard one law (thou shalt not steal), how can I trust him not to violate another (thou shalt not murder)." That feeling is probably based in part on media sensationalizing crimes in which criminals have killed victims who willingly submitted to the criminal's demands.

I imagine crime in the RP varies, just like it does in the US.....though I would almost bet REAL poverty motivates most crimes in the RP, not "poverty" created by substance abuse, such as the kind seen in my state of West Virginia.

Anyway....I got sidetracked. Short answer to the OP "It depends". :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

Simple answer ''No" Foreigners are disliked by the unsavoury sorts and if it boils down to them or you, guess who get's popped off. Guns are rife in RP and be sure a thief will be a likely candidate to carry one.

Its just not worth it. What good is a gut reaction if you get a bullet counter-reaction????

• Like 2

Pettersson
Posted
Posted

My question, "Is your life worth the price of a necklace?" Medic Mike is correct. When walking about in the Philippines, carry only what you can afford to lose. 

Yes I agree, this is a very good philosphy to follow.  However, my biggest scare are the situations when I simply must have everything with me that I need for international travel (passport, money, credit cards, etc.)  Certainly I would say I can't afford losing my passport, money, and credit cards all at once.  As I will be traveling around Philippines quite frequently in the near future, I can see myself in this kind of situations fairly often.

• Like 2

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted
Its just not worth it. What good is a gut reaction if you get a bullet counter-reaction????

Absolutely no bloody good at all, you're quite right. I bet some of those shot were of the type who responded without thought.

Taken by surprise, one would act instictively, and if the instinct is to defend yourself you're probably dead already.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

My question, "Is your life worth the price of a necklace?" Medic Mike is correct. When walking about in the Philippines, carry only what you can afford to lose. 

Yes I agree, this is a very good philosphy to follow.  However, my biggest scare are the situations when I simply must have everything with me that I need for international travel (passport, money, credit cards, etc.)  Certainly I would say I can't afford losing my passport, money, and credit cards all at once.  As I will be traveling around Philippines quite frequently in the near future, I can see myself in this kind of situations fairly often.

Hello Pettersson,

Perhaps you should consider a traveling companion, not necessarily a female either.  I would laser copy, reduce in size

and laminate all your travel documents and hang it around your neck.  Your original travel documents, cash and credit

cards should be placed in a water proof pouch and stash inside your pants or shorts.    

As you may know, keeping a low profile, a smile and an appreciation of the warm hospitality of the Filipino people, will

make your adventure an unforgettable experience.

Best of luck to you sir -- Jake

• Like 2

sjp52
Posted
Posted

A couple of years ago a foriegner and his girl friend stopped along the side of the road to enjoy the view. It was close to the front of my subdivision. A crook on a motor bike stopped and pulled out a gun and said give me your wallet or I will kill you. The foriegner gave him his wallet and the crook shot him dead. He did not harm the girl friend. So your dammed if you do and dammed if you don,t.

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)

My feelings are they will kill you anyways so why not make them work for it? Their motto is dead men tell no tales.

Edited by Steve & Myrlita
  • Like 2