Fuel Consumption Data

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Does anyone know a good way to find out the fuel consumption of vehicles here in the Philippines?  I can't find much at all and fuel consumption is a big consideration.  Even for new cars, there is not much on the internet.

I am going to slowly shop for another vehicle and almost certainly a diesel this time.  I want to be educated so that if a deal comes up, I can jump on it.  No hurry as I am happy with the Avanza for now, but I want something better for long highway trips next time.

My landlord just bought a brand new Toyota Fortuner diesel so I am curious to see how much fuel it uses.  I might consider a used Fortuner if the consumption is ok and I can find a good deal.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

OMW, if the Fortuner is automatic, the town milage will probably not be that good. I would expect good milage on the long highway trips no matter whether it was auto or manual transmission. I drive a 4Runner in the US with 3.4L gas engine / automatic and it never lags in town but that costs fuel.

Having lived on islands before, seeing the cost of fuel and vehicles when everything has to be imported, I still recommend a good solid vehicle even if it costs more to operate, it's much cheaper than potential hospital bills or worse, loss of irreplaceable loved ones. I think the Toyota Fortuner would be a good choice.

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

OMW, if the Fortuner is automatic, the town milage will probably not be that good. I would expect good milage on the long highway trips no matter whether it was auto or manual transmission. I drive a 4Runner in the US with 3.4L gas engine / automatic and it never lags in town but that costs fuel.

Having lived on islands before, seeing the cost of fuel and vehicles when everything has to be imported, I still recommend a good solid vehicle even if it costs more to operate, it's much cheaper than potential hospital bills or worse, loss of irreplaceable loved ones. I think the Toyota Fortuner would be a good choice.

Yes, the Fortuner is a solid vehicle and very popular here.

One of the primary reasons to upgrade from the Avanza is that it has only a driver's side air bag.  I want the next car to have multiple air bags to protect the family.

I also want to drive the Innova diesel.  Those are very popular and functional.  Built to carry 7-9 people, it can easily carry 15-20 Filipino family members.   :hystery:

Honestly though I really like driving the Avanza around in the Philippines because it has a small foot print yet is roomy inside.  It has a very tight turning radius, which allows making illegal u-turns in one shot without backing up.  If I can find a similar footprint with a decent diesel in in, I might go with smaller, rather than larger, like the Fortuner.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Can't beat those cute little cab over or cab forward designs that turn about as tight as a shopping cart. Too bad they become sluggish when you hang enough steel push bumper, roll bar, structural nerf bars and a car catcher "bumper" in the back to make them survivable in even a moderate bump. :no: 

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

Yes, the Fortuner is a solid vehicle and very popular here.

One of the primary reasons to upgrade from the Avanza is that it has only a driver's side air bag.  I want the next car to have multiple air bags to protect the family.

I also want to drive the Innova diesel.  Those are very popular and functional.  Built to carry 7-9 people, it can easily carry 15-20 Filipino family members.   :hystery:

Honestly though I really like driving the Avanza around in the Philippines because it has a small foot print yet is roomy inside.  It has a very tight turning radius, which allows making illegal u-turns in one shot without backing up.  If I can find a similar footprint with a decent diesel in in, I might go with smaller, rather than larger, like the Fortuner.

+2 points for the turning radius.

I opted on reliability over the airbags and turning radius. I have an older model Mits L200 (2005) that has 2.5L Turbo Diesel. It has awesome torque great driving range (600km per tank) but the turning radius sucks. It is smaller than a full size pickup and has 4x4 for the few moments that you might need it. This truck can handle crappy gas where the new models will crap out on you if you fill up with such. I can easily drive 5 hours + without having to gas up. I usually do every 3 hours or so, just to stretch my legs or especially when exploring places that I haven't been before.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I read two car reviews / mileage tests of some new cars in newspapers here but I can't find any records online.  In both, one of the Philippines auto clubs supplied drivers for the manufacturers and they did a long drive overnight.  In both cases they were turbo diesels.  For sure, one of them was the new Mits Adventurer and it got fantastic mileage (kilometerage? :-) ) I think in the mid 20's KPL.  The other was a VW and they just got back in the market, but I don't remember the model.  They also had very high KPL.

I wish I could find some real world stats on the cars / trucks / suvs here.

• Like 1

deevey
Posted
Posted

https://www.fuelly.com ...

Probably the best site to get real-world average stats on fuel consumption for tons of cars and variations based on multiple users avg. 

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Built to carry 7-9 people, it can easily carry 15-20 Filipino family members. :hystery:
Yes, I have even seen a Filipin add, which say that Minivan, which is SMALLER than them we count are done for 8-9, suit 15  :lol:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

https://www.fuelly.com ...

Probably the best site to get real-world average stats on fuel consumption for tons of cars and variations based on multiple users avg. 

Thanks!  This looks good.  I just started browsing around.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

(From wikipedia)

The metric system has been officially sanctioned for use in the United States since 1866, but it remains the only industrialised country that has not adopted the metric system as its official system of measurement. Many sources also cite Liberia and Burma as the only other countries not to have done so.

It needed some thinking before I figured out "MPG" mean miles per gallon. We normal people need converter to know what such values mean compared to them we know, why aren't you backward people using the metric system yet???  :)