Fuel Consumption Data

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

(From wikipedia)

The metric system has been officially sanctioned for use in the United States since 1866, but it remains the only industrialised country that has not adopted the metric system as its official system of measurement. Many sources also cite Liberia and Burma as the only other countries not to have done so.

It needed some thinking before I figured out "MPG" mean miles per gallon. We normal people need converter to know what such values mean compared to them we know, why aren't you backward people using the metric system yet???  :)

I would be all for it but I doubt that it will ever happen, unless we are in an unusual time of great prosperity and cooperation.  I got used to it in Germany and it is much more logical.

Anyway, we got it from the British and they still use it a lot too, so it is all their fault.  :bash:   :hystery:

• Like 1

deevey
Posted
Posted (edited)

It needed some thinking before I figured out "MPG" mean miles per gallon. We normal people need converter to know what such values mean compared to them we know, why aren't you backward people using the metric system yet???   :)

500ml of beer doesn't have the same ring to it as "going for a pint"  :hystery:

Anyway, we got it from the British and they still use it a lot too, so it is all their fault.

And to confuse matters further, there are 2 commonly used different measurements of Gallon US / UK which are very different to each other (more than half a liter).

Must be the only thing adopted by the americans that wasn't made bigger :lol:

Edited by deevey
  • Like 5

Thomas
Posted
Posted
we got it from the British and they still use it a lot too, so it is all their fault. :bash: :hystery:
:hystery:
Must be the only thing adopted by the americans that wasn't made bigger :lol:
:hystery:

Dougbert
Posted
Posted

What was that Churchill quote...something like we are two people divided by a common language.   And apparently a common system of measurements.  Long ton, short ton, gallon, imperial gallon...

deevey
Posted
Posted

What was that Churchill quote...something like we are two people divided by a common language.   And apparently a common system of measurements.  Long ton, short ton, gallon, imperial gallon...

And what is the correct side of the road to drive on :p

• 1 month later...
Daydreamer
Posted
Posted
And what is the correct side of the road to drive on :p
I like the British way of driving, gives me a real thrill thinking I'm about to play "chicken" with a Mack truck. :hystery:

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

The metric system was only introduced because they wanted to win something.  They always lost against the British so they thought a new measurement would give them the upper hand 

• Like 1

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

That is the French I am talking about.  The metric system was devised in 1799 just after they lost again. There's another rather large country had a minor spat with Britain around the same time.  Because of the French war we had to make a tactical withdrawal but they'll want to join the commonwealth again.  44php- 1 dollar  73 php £1