Catastrophe Safe Built Houses

Thomas
Posted
Posted

(I thought I had started a topic about this subject allready, but it don't seem so, at least I don't find it, so I suppouse I only thought to do it last time  :)  

This type of house can manage earthquakes, typhons, fire and flooding!

(Of course the people in it will drown if the house is over flooded, but the house will still be ok after cleaning and drying.)

Monolitic dome type of houses has existed in thousands of years, (partly) still standing!!! which prove they can be strong...

Here is a "rescue" type ment for catastroph victims

costing only 1500 USD per house to make! (I don't find now again the website claiming that, I only saved information about biger ones, because I think of perhaps making one myself.) The cheap ones are made by blowing up a "baloon", make an iron bar grid around it and put on 2-3 inches concrete. They claim that's enough thick to stand earthquakes!

Here is an other website about the resque size

http://e-dome-invention.blogspot.se/2011/01/commercial-dome-websites.html

And now I had planned to show image examples of

resque type

biger ones

and how "disguises" can be added, so they look less as spaceships   :)

but I failed how to add images inside posts. (Where to put images for such online, plus the "Attached Files" "Choose Files" didn't open.)

They can also be diged down a bit. looking better, but harder then to avoid dump - and criminals :)

Of criminals reason, I think of making a two storey where the first floor is more like a celler, but above ground, making the living floor coming more up, some less hard to defend if necesary. Perhaps adding shutters fot the windows too, which can function both as "marquis" covering for sun when half open, and cover for typhon when closed.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I was looking at some dome designs made from earthbags.  Basically sandbags covered in adobe.  They seem pretty cheap and supposed to be sturdy if done right.

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

When the American military were based in Exmouth, Western Australia they built these amazing concrete houses for their personnel. Exmouth is one of the hardest hit cyclone areas in Australia. These houses have stood the test of time of over 50 years of cyclone seasons. They still stand today, and are very popular with locals, you hardly ever see one for sale.

• Like 2

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

I liked this site and the links, some did not work but those that did were great!

This might be something to look into here in the Philippines.

Thanks

Papa Carl

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Some architects have worked "to much" and have made some fabolous looking globe houses,

BUT by BREAKING the globe shape, making them less strong  :unsure:

Here is one size, which interest me,

but I would make no stairs OUTSIDE, because that take away the security advantage for the second floor.

Plus I would reduce the futuristic look by making a more traditional veranda

http://bloombety.com/monolithic-dome-homes-design/new-monolithic-dome-homes/

And here is a solution to reduce the globe look  by puting on a "hat"   :)   It adds issolation too.

http://www.bluecommunity.info/view/video/174624/

• Like 2

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Ok I have spent a lot of time on this idea

Domes for the Phils make sense because of external threats  

Earth quakes , Typhoons , and civil unrest that follow these events means you need a safe place to retreat to.

This idea is very old and here is how i would tackle building a dome (2 ways)

First idea is this  .... dig into the side of a hill  and pour your floor  , now create the dome using the dirt removed on the floor you poured

place rebar on top and cover with concrete  , After its dry (30 days) remove dirt and back fill around the dome .

This will keep your home cool and provide excellent security from all threats .

In effect creating a hobbit type home with most of it underground  

type 2 would be for a uncovered dome   build the dome using rebar all welded together in a dome shape 

Tie chicken wire to the frame and apply concrete  

Earth bags also receive high marks a disaster proof .its hard to move that much dirt once placed and rendered  

Myself i love the natural bamboo look so I will end up using bamboo and native materials to finish the outside of the house but have a super secure

point to retreat in case of emergency .  

With all that being said if a type 5 typhoon is heading my way I,m traveling  to a safer location . I respect you guys that have the balls to ride it out 

But if I have to chance to go a few hundred miles to a safer location and treat it as a holiday that's what i would be doing 

• Like 2

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Seriously, this is not a bad idea if one had the capital to get it started. A manufacturers here in the Philippines, place in a Free Economic Zone or PEZA zone, could get assistance, and because you are exporting 70% of your builds to other Asian Typhoon areas, the gov. could sponsor a purchase for the Philippines, which means you are still exporting.

Lets face it there is a need here in the Philippines, along with many other countries affected 20+ times a year with Typhoons, not to mention Earthquakes.

Cost of building is not expensive, and the best approach is through NGO's or United Nations. Even the Bill Gates foundation has put money into these buildings in the past.

Actually this is a great idea.

Can't believe some of the designs available, some great images on the web.

Papa Carl

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Now I found the website again where they say they cost only 1500 USD to make (2006)

http://architecture.about.com/od/periodsstyles/ig/House-Styles/Monolithic-Dome.htm

Seriously, this is not a bad idea if one had the capital to get it started. A manufacturers here in the Philippines, place in a Free Economic Zone or PEZA zone, could get assistance, and because you are exporting 70% of your builds to other Asian Typhoon areas, the gov. could sponsor a purchase for the Philippines, which means you are still exporting.
Actualy I suggested it last week to one of my friends  :)   who plan to follow me moving to RP, because he like building, but he found it some to big for him (he just plan to work 2 years more and then just do some "hobby work" to avoid ending up just drinking beer on a veranda.

(I believe the rule is minimum 60 % to be counted as an "export company", which make a foreigner can own whole (plus some other subsitities).

Do you know if it has to be in an export zone to have chance to be counted as "export company"?     

I hope not, because I have some OTHER export business ideas and I want to work "from home"  =rural far away from the big cities, which have the export zones  :boohoo:  :)

I have thought of the problem, but haven't solved it. (I mean not found a both good and cheap solution  :)

The small "mass produced" houses use a "baloon" inside to make the concrete stay there and make the inside smooth. Don't concrete just pour through chicken net?

Same problem with how to make foum issolation stay there, IF trying to apply such inside,

The dig down solutions issolates better, look better and are safer IF you stay as in a bunker, but it LOOSE the height advantage, attackers can even easy climb above you,

BUT the dig downs cost much more to avoid dump, and - my main reason to prefer building above ground - I want to LIVE REGULARLY as in a NORMAL house, which means want much sunlight   :)

To get that, but get OK safety against attackers, the main living space have to be UP on second floor (=3-3,5 meters to the lowest opening on the second floor. I mean if not have to employ many guards, which I don't want to,)

The weak spot will be the veranda on the second floor, if windows can be reached from there, But the door I think NOT having a balkony glas type, but similar as a strong entrance door. With veranda railings strong enough to stop common bullets, the veranda can be a good place to defend from, placed so it cover the bottom floor entrance doors  :)

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Yes sorry Guess i could have been more detailed 

Use multiple layers of chicken wire on both sides of the rebar its called ferrocreteing or something like that  i have used chicken wire to build 10 foot concrete posts before 

This is how many boat hulls and statues are made because its labor intensive  its perfect for the Phils

Still not cheap as you need a lot of rebar  and it all needs to be bent and welded together into a frame  

Myself I prefer to be outside most of the time so a nice nipa sala would be where I spend most of my time

i look at the house as a retreat from the Phils LOL fit it out to look like a nice hotel room close the door and escape  

No rooster noise ,no motorbikes ,no rain on the roof ,,no dogs , no kareoke 

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Now I found the website again where they say they cost only 1500 USD to make (2006)

http://architecture.about.com/od/periodsstyles/ig/House-Styles/Monolithic-Dome.htm

Actualy I suggested it last week to one of my friends  :)   who plan to follow me moving to RP, because he like building, but he found it some to big for him (he just plan to work 2 years more and then just do some "hobby work" to avoid ending up just drinking beer on a veranda.

(I believe the rule is minimum 60 % to be counted as an "export company", which make a foreigner can own whole (plus some other subsitities).

Do you know if it has to be in an export zone to have chance to be counted as "export company"?     

I hope not, because I have some OTHER export business ideas and I want to work "from home"  =rural far away from the big cities, which have the export zones  :boohoo:  :)

I have thought of the problem, but haven't solved it. (I mean not found a both good and cheap solution  :)

The small "mass produced" houses use a "baloon" inside to make the concrete stay there and make the inside smooth. Don't concrete just pour through chicken net?

Same problem with how to make foum issolation stay there, IF trying to apply such inside,

The dig down solutions issolates better, look better and are safer IF you stay as in a bunker, but it LOOSE the height advantage, attackers can even easy climb above you,

BUT the dig downs cost much more to avoid dump, and - my main reason to prefer building above ground - I want to LIVE REGULARLY as in a NORMAL house, which means want much sunlight   :)

To get that, but get OK safety against attackers, the main living space have to be UP on second floor (=3-3,5 meters to the lowest opening on the second floor. I mean if not have to employ many guards, which I don't want to,)

The weak spot will be the veranda on the second floor, if windows can be reached from there, But the door I think NOT having a balkony glas type, but similar as a strong entrance door. With veranda railings strong enough to stop common bullets, the veranda can be a good place to defend from, placed so it cover the bottom floor entrance doors  :)

If you are located in a Freeport Economic Zone, or in a PEZA building, yes you can be 100% owned by foreigner, it depends on if you are a satelite office of a Company based outside of the Philippines, or a representative office. Either way, 100% foreign owned or 60/40 split, you must export 70% of your production to qualify for all the incentives of being a "locator". Which are multiple, including a "tax free" period, and a 5% tax there after, plus import duties reduced, or eliminated etc etc.

Papa Carl