Be Prepared - Severe Weather

davewe
Posted
Posted

Great list - thanks!

I've got about 4+ years till we intend to retire and move to PI but these are the sorts of things I am beginning to research.

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Water sterilisation tablets

Or water can be cleaned by cooking

Or filtering away particles plus expose for UV from sun beems (take 6-8 hours a sunny day, of course more cloudy days.)

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Something I forgot to mention:  Understand the local typhoon, cyclone, hurricane watch/warning/signal designators.  PI designators, and what they mean, can be found here:

http://www.gov.ph/crisis-response/the-philippine-public-storm-warning-signals/

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 3

slim55
Posted
Posted

I talked to a friend in Central Visayas and he told me he made alot of preparations and it was a huge waste of time as the typhoon did not even touch his area, not even heavy seas. All depends on it's path and where you're located.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I talked to a friend in Central Visayas and he told me he made alot of preparations and it was a huge waste of time as the typhoon did not even touch his area, not even heavy seas. All depends on it's path and where you're located.

Waste of time this time.  But if he's happy with that and plans not to prepare in the future that's his choice.  For myself, having lived through Cyclones and Typhoons, I won't be caught out.

• Like 3

Dougbert
Posted
Posted

I would add a couple of other items to the list, especially if you live "in the province" (boondocks).  A couple of good tarps, some good rope (paracord is good), an emergency fire starter (flint, magnesium, etc., and some emergency kindling in a sealed plastic bottle), a small plastic whistle on a lanyard for each person.  If things get bad, give every family member their whistle.  If you end up trapped after the storm passes, you can blow it to let others know where you are.  It takes less energy than shouting and the sound carries well.

A PET bottle can be used to sterilize water over a small fire if you're careful.  You can boil the water without melting the plastic if you keep a careful eye on it.  Collect rainwater to drink (ring it out of clothing, catch it in and on whatever you can)--it will be a lot safer than anything other than bottled water.  As someone already mentioned, adults can live for a few weeks without food, but water is critical.  Feed kids and nursing moms first.  Get water for everyone.

Most importantly, never give up.  Keep your wits about you and you can survive.

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted

I would add a couple of other items to the list, especially if you live "in the province" (boondocks).  A couple of good tarps, some good rope (paracord is good), an emergency fire starter (flint, magnesium, etc., and some emergency kindling in a sealed plastic bottle), a small plastic whistle on a lanyard for each person.  If things get bad, give every family member their whistle.  If you end up trapped after the storm passes, you can blow it to let others know where you are.  It takes less energy than shouting and the sound carries well.

A PET bottle can be used to sterilize water over a small fire if you're careful.  You can boil the water without melting the plastic if you keep a careful eye on it.  Collect rainwater to drink (ring it out of clothing, catch it in and on whatever you can)--it will be a lot safer than anything other than bottled water.  As someone already mentioned, adults can live for a few weeks without food, but water is critical.  Feed kids and nursing moms first.  Get water for everyone.

Hey Dougbert,

You must have been watching National Geography survival series.  I wish that I could stock pile food and water

in great quantities, along with having a small armory of assault rifles.....he, he.

Besides your great suggestions (love that whistle idea), I would arm myself with a big ass Rambo knife.  My wife

Judy will carry the bolo knife because she said so.  Children can carry pepper spray to ward off threats from any

two or four leg animals.  Man have been known to have a rabid behavior.  

• Like 3

Dougbert
Posted
Posted

Hey Dougbert,

You must have been watching National Geography survival series.  I wish that I could stock pile food and water

in great quantities, along with having a small armory of assault rifles.....he, he.

Besides your great suggestions (love that whistle idea), I would arm myself with a big ass Rambo knife.  My wife

Judy will carry the bolo knife because she said so.  Children can carry pepper spray to ward off threats from any

two or four leg animals.  Man have been known to have a rabid behavior.  

You're close--too much Bear Grylls, Survivorman, Dual Survival, etc on Discovery!  I'm not one of those doomsday prepper guys, but living in earthquake country means you have to be prepared when it happens.

It's good that you have figured out who is in charge, brother Jake.  My mom's parents were married on Christmas Day 1941 when they were 18 (and a half) and remained so until his death in 2006.  My late grandfather used to remark that what kept their marriage strong was that early on they had an agreement.  He would make all the big decisions and she would make all the small ones.......and so far there hadn't been any big decisions!

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I'm not one of those doomsday prepper guys, but living in earthquake country means you have to be prepared when it happens.
Me too. That's why I will NOT store (any much) drinking water and not more food than I store anyway to not need to go to the city for over 2 weeks  :)  if I don't want to,

but have equipment, and try to afford to build a strong enough home with window shutters.

He would make all the big decisions and she would make all the small ones.......and so far there hadn't been any big decisions!
:hystery:

I have a bunch of Chilean friends since back when they moved to Sweden, run away from the military junta. In their culture it's normal the wife decide about home and kids, and the husband decide about things except them. So if they don't have an own company, he can decide about the car. and if they don't have a car, then they decide about nothing. Among the families I knew some, the wife was very quite and looked shy, and the man was talkative and forward, so I thought they were an exception he decided everything. They is an exception, but the opposite = She didn't even allow him to decide their car :hystery:

• Like 1