Be Prepared - Severe Weather

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

I would add a couple of other items to the list, especially if you live "in the province" (boondocks).  A couple of good tarps, some good rope (paracord is good), an emergency fire starter (flint, magnesium, etc., and some emergency kindling in a sealed plastic bottle), a small plastic whistle on a lanyard for each person.  If things get bad, give every family member their whistle.  If you end up trapped after the storm passes, you can blow it to let others know where you are.  It takes less energy than shouting and the sound carries well.

A PET bottle can be used to sterilize water over a small fire if you're careful.  You can boil the water without melting the plastic if you keep a careful eye on it.  Collect rainwater to drink (ring it out of clothing, catch it in and on whatever you can)--it will be a lot safer than anything other than bottled water.  As someone already mentioned, adults can live for a few weeks without food, but water is critical.  Feed kids and nursing moms first.  Get water for everyone.

Most importantly, never give up.  Keep your wits about you and you can survive.

Ah the whistles... That's basic stuff I forgot to add!! Thanks Dougbert :)

Master Chief, Judy sounds a little scary, I think she and Aines (Short Angry One) would get on very well!  I learnt to throw a bolo in the Navy, was used instead of the dildo on the gun to pass the initial line for jackstays and RAS's (Replenishment at Sea) as a redundancy.  But given what you've said about Judy in the past, I would never take her on!!

On a more serious note, as Dougbert and Thomas pointed out, given the nature of PI in Geography and other things, prepare to be isolated for as long as 14 days, maybe longer. 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 1