Typhoon Haiyan: Eight Killed As Mob Storms Philippine Rice Store

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

Eight people were crushed to death in the Philippines as a crowd of Typhoon Haiyan survivors stormed a rice warehouse in a town near the devastated provincial capital of Tacloban, an official says.

The incident in Alangalang, 17 kilometres from Tacloban, came as the situation for millions of people in parts of the Philippines ravaged by the super typhoon becomes more dire.

A massive relief effort is underway after Typhoon Haiyan ripped across the province of Leyte on Friday, but bad weather and damaged infrastructure is hampering efforts to get aid to those most in need.

Meanwhile, Philippines president Benigno Aquino says far fewer had likely died than had first been feared, with initial estimates put at 10,000 in Tacloban alone.

"The figure right now I have is about 2,000, but this might still get higher," he told CNN.

"Ten thousand, I think, is too much. There was emotional trauma involved with that particular estimate, quoting both a police official and a local government official. They were too close to the incident, they didn't have basis for it."

Read Article Here

• Like 2

Markham
Posted
Posted
Eight people were crushed to death in the Philippines as a crowd of Typhoon Haiyan survivors stormed a rice warehouse in a town near the devastated provincial capital of Tacloban, an official says.

That official is quoted by several foreign newspapers as claiming that 100,000 56-pound sacks of milled rice were stolen - which really begs the question, why wasn't this rice being distributed to those who have the means to cook it? Or maybe, just maybe, that 100,000 sacks has been steadily disappearing ...

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I still can't understand why marshal law isn't declaired ..... the local government there has requested it days ago .... makes you go hummmmmmmm .....

:cheersty:

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Mike, I read in yesterday's paper that the constitution only allows martial law to be declared in cases of invasion or rebellion. By declaring a state of calamity he can get the military in and give them authority to quell any disturbance.

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Mike, I read in yesterday's paper that the constitution only allows martial law to be declared in cases of invasion or rebellion. By declaring a state of calamity he can get the military in and give them authority to quell any disturbance.

Thanks Mike I didn't know that .... now I understand why no martial law .... but surely a state of calamity does exist and the longer they hold off taking control of that region the worst it is going to become ..... next they will turn on each other and it will become the law of the jungle .... much better to take control early to prevent all that stuff .... JMHO

• Like 1

Markham
Posted
Posted

One reason that might account for Aquino's seeming lack of care for Tacloban may be that Tacloban and its surrounds is Imelda Marcos country. Imelda's family, the Romualdez, rule the place like a personal fiefdom and they and the Marcoses are the natural enemies of the Aquinos. Now Imelda was hospitalised before the typhoon struck and her family and staff have kept her isolated from news "in case she became upset".

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

One reason that might account for Aquino's seeming lack of care for Tacloban may be that Tacloban and its surrounds is Imelda Marcos country. Imelda's family, the Romualdez, rule the place like a personal fiefdom and they and the Marcoses are the natural enemies of the Aquinos. Now Imelda was hospitalised before the typhoon struck and her family and staff have kept her isolated from news "in case she became upset".

Now that is interesting ..... as usual it plays out like a bad soap opera here .... and again the poor and destitute suffer for the rich and famous .... gotta love it

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

That official is quoted by several foreign newspapers as claiming that 100,000 56-pound sacks of milled rice were stolen - which really begs the question, why wasn't this rice being distributed to those who have the means to cook it? Or maybe, just maybe, that 100,000 sacks has been steadily disappearing ...

Or they have never been 100 000  :)      

100 000 sacks is much. Depending of land and fertilizing, but that's harvest from around 1200 hectares if common harvests, and I suppouse some where delivered allready.

I don't know when they harvest in Leyte, because of the different weather zones, but I believe they harvest in September/October at Bohol at the not irrigated fields.

100 000 sacks, each person can carry 1-2(-3) sacks  = around 50 000 looters IF they carried away that much...

---

IF it's desperation it's crazy to attack warehouse and food aid convoy ALLREADY, because at least normal healthy grown ups can survive without no food at all over a month. Attacking aid convoys risk less aid personal want/dare to go there...

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

It is heart breaking to read this kind of news.

My initial reaction, like when I heard of the gangs attacking the petrol stations and stealing the petrol...., was shoot them!

Then I started to think, if it was my wife and daughter crying because we had lost everything, we had no home, no safe shelter, no clothes, no food, would I also be there, stealing a bag of rice? Maybe...., if I am being honest.

Also in regards to the petrol station, I then read where the owner had put up the price of petrol to over 100 pesos per litre/gallon, so the locals got angry...., so would I!!!!

Always difficult to be sure what you will do until you are in that situation.

Papa Carl

• Like 3