Medicines

JMEL
Posted
Posted

My biggest frustration is cost of medicine... Parlodel is P151 per pill here and I need 3 a day! It's P20 in Thailand, and all other meds are similarly cheap there, many not even available here :-( Anyone know a better source of medicine than Rose, Generics, etc.?

Parlodel is a medicine for Parkinson's, and the only reason Rose, etc has it is because Pinas use it as a diet pill buying 1 or 2 at a time, thus the high price. Surely there is a place besides the (ultra high priced) hospital too?

earthdome
Posted
Posted

My biggest frustration is cost of medicine... Parlodel is P151 per pill here and I need 3 a day! It's P20 in Thailand, and all other meds are similarly cheap there, many not even available here :-( Anyone know a better source of medicine than Rose, Generics, etc.?

Parlodel is a medicine for Parkinson's, and the only reason Rose, etc has it is because Pinas use it as a diet pill buying 1 or 2 at a time, thus the high price. Surely there is a place besides the (ultra high priced) hospital too?

I believe you can bring in 3 months worth of medicine when you enter the Philippines.

At 130 x 3 = 390 pesos per day, or almost $10 USD per day that is $900 for three months. It might be worth your while to make a short trip to a neighboring country where your meds are cheap and bring back a 3 months supply.

Hope medical research for Parkinson's gets to the point where you have a cure.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have found that some meds are a lot more expensive here.  Even something simple like Ibuprofen.  Here it is p8 a pill.   A 500 count bottle would be p40,000!  The same 500 count bottle in the US is $20 - only p1.7 each.  I have only tried a few pharmacies but they seem to be about the same price.

Can you get them shipped from somewhere?  I do not know the import rules.  I know in the US we used to order meds from other countries with no problems.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Ah, somebody beat me to opening up this one.

I have been trying to find out the same - can we have prescriptions shipped into the country?  

I know of some people who do and have never had a problem...  I know of some people who were told that doing so is illegal...  I have asked the government if it is legal to do so and can't get a consistent answer......   Arrgghhhhh!!!   

robert k
Posted
Posted

In my recent trip it was hard to find anything other than low dose aspirin until I got to a town with a population over 100k. Bringing a big bottle next time.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Hope medical research for Parkinson's gets to the point where you have a cure.
Actualy they told at Swedish TV just a few days ago they have found a cure functioning on SOME. Both one of the surgents and one of the cured test persons were in that interview program, both Swedes. I didn't listen from start so I don't know if the invention is Swedish, but I guess so, because several main medical inventions are Swedish (e g within heart surgery).

I didn't listen proper, but it's some type of electrodes put into a specific place in the brain where it stimulates it with adjustable electricity (making balance somehow?)  Neurologists check who can have chance to be cured with that method, and surgents put in the electrodes. They told proportions too how big part can be cured with that method as it is now, but I don't remember (1/3 ?)

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
At 130 x 3 = 390 pesos per day, or almost $10 USD per day that is $900 for three months. It might be worth your while to make a short trip to a neighboring country where your meds are cheap and bring back a 3 months supply.

Earthdome made a goodGREAT POST,

when you go out on your visa run,

buy your medicines there and bring it back, this would save you $$$ alot.

also consider a friend/family member to send it to you via fedex or other shipping services.

when i did the math on it its

a WIN WIN(Nguyen Nguyen) overall

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

In my recent trip it was hard to find anything other than low dose aspirin until I got to a town with a population over 100k. Bringing a big bottle next time.

were you able to seek/look for the meds that you require? 

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Depending of which med, but many can be bought much cheaper by this:

For many meds the Phil drugstores have much cheaper REPLACEMENTS  (=same substance of a known med, which patent protection has ended, allowing replacements to be done, and they are often sold much cheaper.)

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Depending of which med, but many can be bought much cheaper by this:

For many meds the Phil drugstores have much cheaper REPLACEMENTS  (=same substance of a known med, which patent protection has ended, allowing replacements to be done, and they are often sold much cheaper.)

here is a site that can help you find those medicines that you may need and whats available here

http://www.thefilipinodoctor.com/drugs-search.php?page_new=112&pos=Home

here is a previous topic that discuss  how to find certain meds/doctors or hospitals

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/15954-the-filipino-doctor-a-site-for-various-health-related/