Medicines

JMEL
Posted
Posted

Great ideas and stimulating posts. Patents? HAHAHAHAHABABABBABA! Most of the meds I need went out of patent decades ago, but Phils does not allow the sale of generics (or at least no one will sell them but the hospital then at a price higher than branded.)

FYI some missionary friends have told me they brought 1 year supply and were not questioned.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Great ideas and stimulating posts. Patents? HAHAHAHAHABABABBABA! Most of the meds I need went out of patent decades ago, but Phils does not allow the sale of generics (or at least no one will sell them but the hospital then at a price higher than branded.)
??? I haven't been to any pharmacy in Phils myself, but I have been told there are many such SPECIALICED in selling generics  :)

JMEL
Posted
Posted

??? I haven't been to any pharmacy in Phils myself, but I have been told there are many such SPECIALICED in selling generics :)

Those only have a few basics and will not order :-( I'm going to try a pharmacy supply company or mail order.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
T.Monk
Posted
Posted
Most of the meds I need went out of patent decades ago, but Phils does not allow the sale of generics (or at least no one will sell them but the hospital then at a price higher than branded.)

You are definitely onto something.  I was a registered pharmacist in the US for over 30 years and generics we bought there manufactured in Asia (e.g. 'Dr Reddy's Pharmaceuticals' in India) etc.and tested by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration)-- otherwise they could not be imported to the US-- are NOT AVAILABLE here.  

Something fishy is going on.  It can't be that the Philippine FDA equivalent is so much more knowledgeable.  Given my experience, what I see is that some big pharmaceutical companies--Abbott being one--is allowed in to sell their branded item even though generics are available elsewhere. Other companies seem to be kept out.

That chart you see on the wall of most pharmacies about government mandated low priced generics...the prices listed are in many cases quite high if you know the real market prices...much higher than in the US.  There's a good story there for an enterprising journalist.

• Like 3

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

FYI some missionary friends have told me they brought 1 year supply and were not questioned.

Yep I have done the same. I bring a lot of schedule 4 generic drugs into the country for use in Clinic runs. I have been questioned about them briefly, and then sent through customs without incident.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I guess I was lucky not to get my bags checked when I came over.  I just found out 2 of my pills are not available here at all for "legal reasons".  Who knew?

They got crap for pain killers that is for sure!

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I guess I was lucky not to get my bags checked when I came over.  I just found out 2 of my pills are not available here at all for "legal reasons".  Who knew?

They got crap for pain killers that is for sure!

I guess lucky for me I carry a lot of analgeia with me as well, ie. ibruprofen, paracetamol, panadol forte, etc.....have not been caught yet....hehe.....I always travel in uniform as well....that might help :)

• Like 1

T.Monk
Posted
Posted
. I bring a lot of schedule 4 generic drugs into the country for use in Clinic runs. I have been questioned about them briefly, and then sent through customs without incident.

I've been on a maintenance C-IV for over 25 years now (clonazepam)--diagnosed in a sleep study twice-- it was prescribed for be by two different neurologists (not friends of each other either) and a pain clinic chief anesthesiologist, but in Davao here they treat it like Percocet is treated in the US. 

I had a Filpino internist half my life in the US who actually practiced normal Western medicine, but here it's as if they just know better--or the politicians who don't know too much are pressuring them. 

You might want to be more careful bringing that stuff in. In Manila's airport they questioned my carry on vitamins and verapamil!!! There was a little spectacle by them to me about that, so be careful with bringing what in Philippine law is characterized like a C-II.  (BTW, What's a "clinic run"?)

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

. I bring a lot of schedule 4 generic drugs into the country for use in Clinic runs. I have been questioned about them briefly, and then sent through customs without incident.

I've been on a maintenance C-IV for over 25 years now (clonazepam)--diagnosed in a sleep study twice-- it was prescribed for be by two different neurologists (not friends of each other either) and a pain clinic chief anesthesiologist, but in Davao here they treat it like Percocet is treated in the US. 

I had a Filpino internist half my life in the US who actually practiced normal Western medicine, but here it's as if they just know better--or the politicians who don't know too much are pressuring them. 

You might want to be more careful bringing that stuff in. In Manila's airport they questioned my carry on vitamins and verapamil!!! There was a little spectacle by them to me about that, so be careful with bringing what in Philippine law is characterized like a C-II.  (BTW, What's a "clinic run"?)

I will keep that in mind, however so far I have had no problems at all.

A clinic run, is what we call when we travel to one of the remote areas of Cebu, and run a clinic circuit seeing patients. Most often we will go to the North tip of Cebu and work back, alternating with the South of Cebu.

• Like 1

JMEL
Posted
Posted

Thanks, all for the tips and stimulation.