Do I Even Want To Go To Manila?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Manila?  Not really... but my girlfriend wants to spend christmas in Manila, with her sister.  So I guess I am going to Manila.  Anyone know of a nice (cheap) hotel?  The sister lives in Cavite.

And does anyone know of anything fun to do?  I have never really thought about Manila.  My girlfriend says they have good malls... what?  We have malls in Iloilo...   She also mentioned Enchanted Kingdom?

Here is an article "20 reasons to visit manila"   karaoke, sunsets, jeepneys... seriously?   http://www.theage.com.au/travel/twenty-reasons-to-visit-manila-20120315-1v7ts.html

You can see how thrilled I am ha ha 

Maybe she can go to Manila and I can go to AC??   yeah... did not think so...   But honestly, any good ideas, for accommodations or activities, would be appreciated!     :tiphat:

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well... I guess I could get the 6 month visa extension while there...

And does anyone know about  Manila Ocean Park?  Is it worth it?

Edited by Tuka Ram
  • Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

There is Mall Of Asia (MOA) and Ocean Park. I went to both a few months ago. MOA has an ice skating rink. Ocean Park was ok and worth a visit.

I wouldn't go to Manila just to see either but if you are already there it would be worth a visit.

The only time in Manila I ever had a taxi use the meter was on a ride from MOA to the hotel which wasn't far on Roxas Blvd.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

We are going to Manila Ocean Park tomorrow, for a school field trip.  I will be riding on the bus with all the screaming kids!  I am bringing ear plugs!  I'll let you know how it is later, but I enjoy marine parks and it looks good on the web, so I am looking forward to it.

We stayed at Microtel near Mall of Asia and enjoyed it.  Not too far from Cavite.  Nice room, good breakfast, small amusement park and MOA right there.  I think the embassy is not far, if you were serious about that.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

Star City is an Amusement park not far from the Mall of Asia. I had a good time there. You could also go downtown wearing some bling so you can have a good "Robbed in Manila"  story to tell all your friends back home

• Like 2

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

think Snow world for a good laugh

• Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

If you are into boxing....

Took this photo a few years ago in Makati.

post-635-0-04965300-1385130171_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

are you a "history buff"??

why not take your own walking history tour?

look where the old american community was.

if you want a professional tour guide, look for CARLOS CELDRAN(?)

when I lived in that area. I loved to take my own walking tours

so much you see by being on the ground, just look look around,

by knowing what happen before,learning about the history.

We/I/US can have a better apprecaition of those before us

and know more about our"new"home.

q/a do you know where the "march" of the surrendered us troops from corregidor was?

from what place to where?

do you know what was at "Robinsons manila "before the mall was built?  

i would continue but that would a another topic.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Not into history very much.  I like to read about it but actually going to see the stuff does not do it for me.   An old building is just an old building to me.  I used to work at the 6th Floor museum (Kennedy murder museum).  I could not believe how many people travel from all over the world to see it.  (of course he was killed before i was born)

My kids and I went on an annual spring break trip to Orlando for 10 years in a row.  Universal Studios and Disney are vacations to me.  Or snorkeling in Hawaii. Maybe a day trip to a nice waterfall... My girlfriend will be happy just going to the mall.  Other the chance for me to meet her sister I have no idea why she wants to go...   I am trying to talk her into Singapore/Universal Studios instead of Manila - but it ain't happening ha ha    :tiphat:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

We went to Manila Ocean Park today.  It was nice, but way to crowded for my taste.  And it was crowded with busloads of school kids on field trips, just like ours.  It may have been extra crowded due to cancellations due to threatening weather.  We had two cancellations and this was the third try.  If you go, try to find out when an off peak day might be, in the middle of the week.  Those might not exist during Xmas but at least there should not be school field trips.

The first area you walk into has some big freshwater tanks and I was not impressed with cleanliness of everything in that area.  However, it turned out the rest of the place is fine.  It has a mini-mall attached.  The reef tanks are very big and nice, with a big walk thru glass tunnel in one.

• Like 1