A Common Very Odd Behaviour. Any Clues How Come?

sjp52
Posted
Posted (edited)

Its a mans world in the Philippines. Kinda like it was 50 years ago in the west.      Male babies are raised different than females and at an early age females are taught that they will be responsible for the males well being and needs and things in general. Not in all cases but a lot that I have noticed. The guys have got it pretty good here.

Filipinos on average are a placid, laid back, easy going people ( I love that about them to a certain extent ) and the ones that are boastful and arrogant and take charge are feared by most of the rest.    My wife is a strong woman and most of the family would never go against her, But she is fair and kind. Some of these strong minded people take advantage of the weak knowing they will not retaliate.

As for why there is sometimes aggressive violent behaviour in some of their disagreements I can only guess that when some one is meek and holds things in eventually they will let it out with a roar.    I am sure that being poor can sometimes be frustrating. I don,t know as I have never been poor and that is why I will not judge them as I have not lived their life. You know the old say, Walk a mile in my shoes.

The things I have mentioned hear are just my observation in my little neighborhood and what i have noticed on my travels here

Edited by sjp52
  • Like 4

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Absolutely true; the boy can do no wrong. K is the youngest and above her is a brother whom she has trotted after and hero worshipped since she was three. Regardless of his actual faults, he is always forgiven and pampered again.

MacBubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

My in-laws, if they discriminated at all among their sons and daughters, tended to favor their daughters.  For instance, their father's wish was for their family home to be left to the three daughters, while the four sons could divvy up the adjoining vacant lot in Eastwood.  With the rest of their properties in the provinces and in Pasay, each gets his or her fair share.

The idea was for the girls to always have a home to retreat to, in case their marital relations went sour.  They never wanted for their daughters to be trapped in a miserable marriage.  So far, this has not happened, and the girls do not think the provision is necessary. 

In the families that my parents-in-law were brought up, and likewise in the family that they raised, the females were afforded every privilege that the males had.  Particularly when it came to education.  My mother-in-law, who was born in 1920, was a lawyer, just like her husband. 

If there was one thing that my wife riled against, it was how overprotective her parents were of their daughters.  The sons were allowed to party, while the daughters had to be chaperoned.  That was, of course, back when they were in the Philippines.  The move to Canada was liberating in that sense.

Edited by MacBubba

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Funnily enough, this morning, I have been treated, at long range, over Skype and Instant Messenger, to the spectacle of the brother whom I mentioned in post 32 behaving extremely childishly and not being restrained by either his younger or his older sister.

There is not the slightest point in my saying anything, so I won't! 

Edited by Methersgate

• 4 weeks later...
Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

I believe it would be a very odd behavior if ALL the people in power would show respect and support

for the masa, the common Filipino.  The culture of impunity, the culture of dependency and the culture

of not losing face are the driving force to keep this country in 3rd world status.

I beginning to think that Filipino family values are becoming less important because of modern day crab

mentality and jealousy.  In my opinion, the Filipino family are exploding with many step brothers, sisters,

unknown babies popping out everywhere and grandparents doing slave babysitting.   

Respectfully -- Jake

I think that is a point that deserves emphasis.

Filipino family values are crumbling under the impact of overpopulation, underemployment and working overseas leading to family breakup.

The numerous step brothers and step sisters and just "spare babies" being dumped on grandparents are very evident.

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 1