Ginger Snap Biscuits In Davao City

2Cats2
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone.

I am new to this forum and thought I would give it a try to answer a simple question. I have been living in Davao city since August. Originally from the UK. One of the things I have been looking for but without success is buying Ginger Snap biscuits.

In the UK they are called Ginger Nuts. Here they are:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginger_nut

I have seen them it corner stores and supermarkets in other parts of the Philippines but I cannot find them in Davao city. Last week I went diving at Samal Island and another expat diver had a packet , which he shared with me. I mentioned that I was looking to buy these biscuits. They are very common,  you can buy them anywhere/everywhere in the UK. He was a bit vague but thought that his wife bought them at Gaisano Mall....but definately in Davao.

I went there but couldn't find them anywhere. I've since been to all the other major shopping malls:

• SM Lanang
  • Victoria
  • Robinsons Abreeza
  • SM Ecoland
  • NCCC

but no success.  It's a wild goose chase !!

If you live in Davao and KNOW where I can find these biscuits then please advise me.

Please don't reply if you just have an idea of where they might (or might not !) be found.  I've had enough of chasing good ideas.  I want a definative lead.

Thank you.

2Cats2 .... A ginger nut lover !!  :-)

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I have noticed that the stores don't always have items in stock. Especially if the item is imported. It may be that these are just out of stock right now. Best strategy is if there is something you really like to purchase extra when you have an opportunity.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Let all your contacts know you are craving for ginger snap cookies. Somewhere and someone in Davao, there is a housewife who makes them at home to earn extra income. I have already emailed family and friends about my desire for good Philippine made tamales during our one month visit. My wife wants "bibingka" made with cassava flour and a small piece of fresh goat cheese on top. We will either get them as gifts or they will give us instructions on how to purchase the best.  

Markham
Posted
Posted

Ginger Nuts are not available in Davao at all. There was a supply about a year ago in SM Ecoland - McVities' Digestives were also available - but that sold out and they've not bothered to restock.

You may find some in Cebu at Rustans or Marks and Spencer (Ayala) or Gustavian (Banilad) otherwise pop along to Tesco in Thailand!

Markham
Posted
Posted

Let all your contacts know you are craving for ginger snap cookies. Somewhere and someone in Davao, there is a housewife who makes them at home to earn extra income. I have already emailed family and friends about my desire for good Philippine made tamales during our one month visit. My wife wants "bibingka" made with cassava flour and a small piece of fresh goat cheese on top. We will either get them as gifts or they will give us instructions on how to purchase the best.  

Problem is, JJ, you can't obtain anything that resembles "Golden Syrup" (from Tate and Lyle) which is an essential ingredient.

2Cats2
Posted
Posted

Ginger Nuts are not available in Davao at all. There was a supply about a year ago in SM Ecoland - McVities' Digestives were also available - but that sold out and they've not bothered to restock.

You may find some in Cebu at Rustans or Marks and Spencer (Ayala) or Gustavian (Banilad) otherwise pop along to Tesco in Thailand!

OK.  That ties in with a friend saying I could get them at SM Ecoland...but I couldn't find any there yesterday.

They were in a corner shop when I was diving Subic Bay...Bario Barreto, Olongopo.  If I had appreciated the problm then I would have bought their entire stock !!!

But the diving expat I met had a packet which he said his wife had bought recently at G-Mall.  Wish I'd kept his contact to chase this up.

2Cats2
Posted
Posted

Problem is, JJ, you can't obtain anything that resembles "Golden Syrup" (from Tate and Lyle) which is an essential ingredient.

You are right.  Here's the recipe.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/269616/gingernut-biscuits

Easy to make myself...if I can find all the ingredients..  Hmmmm.....

MikeB
Posted
Posted

There are some things you can't find here; Noxzema skin cream and size 14 running shoes are two off the top of my head. Amazon has this product, you might consider ordering it and having it forwarded over. More expensive but if you gotta have it.... 

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

They just finished an annual event in Honolulu where several thousand children constructed gingerbread houses using donated materials from the hotel and restaurant industry. Each child was supervised by one adult. This jarred my memory that many hotels in the Philippines sell gingerbread houses during the holidays. Usually, you have to order one. Remove the frosting. That's pure sugar. The large square and rectangular gingerbread biscuits should be good to eat.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
In the UK they are called Ginger Nuts. Here they are: http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Ginger_nut
Oh you call them that in UK!

Back when I were a kid "all" Swedish children assisted making such around this time a year. It was very easy, so if you find the recepie, then I suppouse no big problem to find someone with an oven making them in Davao. But I don't like them myself, so I haven't bothered to memorize the simple recepie, but I can ask to get it if you don't find it easy anyway.