Ginger Snap Biscuits In Davao City

Markham
Posted
Posted

The recipe said use self raising flour. I used general-purpose flour. Maybe I should try self raising flour next time. Also I think I will roll them into biscuit shapes before they go into the oven.

I rather doubt you'll find self-raising flour here but SM does stock baking soda which you can add to plain flour to make it self-raising. One level teaspoon per four ounces of flour should do the trick.
  • Like 2

2Cats2
Posted
Posted

The recipe said use self raising flour. I used general-purpose flour. Maybe I should try self raising flour next time. Also I think I will roll them into biscuit shapes before they go into the oven.

I rather doubt you'll find self-raising flour here but SM does stock baking soda which you can add to plain flour to make it self-raising. One level teaspoon per four ounces of flour should do the trick.

Mk 2 Ginger Nut biscuits are a SUCCESS. :)

...HURRAH !!!  :dance:

Followed BBC recipe but added 2 times as much ginger (2 tsp), 1 tsp cinnamon  1 tsp vannila essence and 2 tsp baking powder.  Also this time I flattened the mix into biscuit shape...sort of... before baking.

The result ? 10X better than Mk 1 Ginger Nuts (balls!) in taste and texture.

OK...I need to work on getting a rounder biscuit shape....but the taste is GREAT !!!

I would post a picture..but this forum format has defeated me.  How do you do this ??  If I paste a jpeg image, it fails when I try to post the message.  If I click on the image icon then it asks me for a URL.  Do I really need to set up a website just to paste a single image ???  Seriously ?

End of topic, for me.  :-)

2Cats2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Btw - Today is "Ginger Bread Day" in Sweden, normaly called "Sancta Lucia"

=Groups dressed in white robes walk around early in mornings and wake up people and start singing for them, before they have woked up fully.

Some immigrants, who hadn't heared of this tradition, have been scared half to death  :hystery:

robert k
Posted
Posted

You have me craving them now :hystery:.

2Cats2
Posted
Posted

Btw - Today is "Ginger Bread Day" in Sweden, normaly called "Sancta Lucia"

=Groups dressed in white robes walk around early in mornings and wake up people and start singing for them, before they have woked up fully.

Some immigrants, who hadn't heared of this tradition, have been scared half to death :hystery:

I remember this when I lived in Sweden some time ago with a Swedish family. The three daughters were all dressed in white, as you described. All carrying candles and singing, early in the morning. I think the youngest daughter (16) had a crown of lit candles. Very sweet custom...and a big surprise to me. :-)

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I think the youngest daughter (16) had a crown of lit candles.
Yes. Traditionaly it was burning candles, but nowadays they are normaly battery driven to avoid get hair burned  :)

Normaly it's one "Sancta Lucia" per group - except in small kids groups where it's common they let anyone who want to be "Sancta Lucia" be it. It's common to ELLECT one per city and one per school. In some schools they have elected a boy  :lol:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
I would post a picture..but this forum format has defeated me.  How do you do this ??  If I paste a jpeg image, it fails when I try to post the message.  If I click on the image icon then it asks me for a URL.  Do I really need to set up a website just to paste a single image ???  Seriously ?

It is not hard.

1.  In the reply to this topic box, lower right corner, click More Reply Options.

2.  At the bottom of the box, you will now see Attach Files.  Click and choose the picture file.

3.  Click the Attach This File, and you will see it loading.

4.  After it loads, click Add To Post over to the right.  That will insert a link in the post.

5.  Click Preview Post at the bottom to see if it worked.

JGF has a tutorial here.

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/9938-basic-posting-tutorial/

I want to see the Ginger Snaps.  Jake would like to see the Walnut Sized Balls.

You guys are very serious about your Ginger Snaps!  I'll bet I can find them here in Subic, buy them all up, and corner the market for Christmas!   :71161: 

• Like 2