Another Phone Thread

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I saw Steve's thread about smart phones in the p5000 range.  What about p5000-10,000 peso range?

A key requirement is that keyboard screen works really good for texting.  I had a couple of of small ones in the US and the text input was really bad.

A good camera would be nice.

What do you have and like, or dislike?

A side question about iPhone.  I'm not an Apple fan but I was wondering, can you buy them retail here without a plan, unlocked, ready for the pre-paid SIM of your choosing?

earthdome
Posted
Posted

A bit above your max price of 10k pesos is the Samsung Galaxy S3 mini, I picked one up a month ago for 12K.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Was the text input really bad because the keys were small and too close together?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Was the text input really bad because the keys were small and too close together?

Actually I made a mistake.  One phone was a AT&T ZTE from the US, and the other one I bought here, a cheap MyPhone..  They both were terrible for the on screen input.  Maybe because the screens / virtual keys were small but mostly it seemed like poor touch screen technology.  The ZTE was 3.5 inch and the Myphone was 3 in.  There would be constant "adjacent key" errors when typing.

Now I am using a cheap Blackberry style O phone, and it leaves a lot to be desired, but the new phone is not for me.  It is a gift for you know who!

robert k
Posted
Posted

OnMyWay, I think you are going to have to go shopping (perish the thought) and have the sales girl (or guy) demonstrate the texting capacity of the phone. I don't know what size phone your special someone would appreciate, I and my girl like a little more real estate in the screen, me because my eyes need work and her because she likes to play simple games on long v-hire rides or busses when we travel. Some people like a compact phone that slips in a pocket and you hardly notice.

I have been using Samsung phones and they text fine, even the 3.14 screen when I rotate it sideways for a larger keyboard but I am a hunt and peck texter and I use two hands. Those who text with one hand probably would not want more than a 4" or 4.5" screen because the keys are too far apart. My girl actually prefers to text on a cheap phone where you may have to hit a key 3 times to get the right letter (for accuracy) and I'm amazed when she does it with a phone in each hand. Hopefully someone will be able to give you some user input for local smartphones. My cheap Starmobile phone appears to be of excellent quality but it's not a smartphone and I just bought it so I could have 2 phones and cover 4 different service providers.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
A side question about iPhone. I'm not an Apple fan but I was wondering, can you buy them retail here without a plan, unlocked, ready for the pre-paid SIM of your choosing?

Yes you can.  They can be bought anywhere in the world unlocked.  However, you will be paying $$$$  If you really want one, you should shop around for price.  Also, the best time to get the best price on any phone is just after a new model comes out and you can save $$$ buying a new last years model!

danny

• Like 2

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted
What about p5000-10,000 peso range?

Just go to the Tech Section of any SM Mall and look at what they have. Reputable brands like Cherry Mobile and Starmobile have good smart phones in the above price bracket with many bells and whistles. Just choose one of the larger screen models for fat fiddly fingers.

• Like 1

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

Or you could install Swipe.  Works really well and learns the sentences you normally use

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Yes, I will do plenty to shopping, but does anyone have a favorite they are really pleased with?

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

I just payed 500 p to get my iphone unlocked

The thing with a smart phone is you need wi-fi or a data plan to use it

Globe is the only guys that said they could do a pre-paid data plan at 1000 p a month

Lots of knock off i phones here buy easy to tell because the buttons dont work well snd they saymade in america lol real ones are made in china

My advice is try to find broken ones at home and get them fixed here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1