Another Phone Thread

robert k
Posted
Posted

I have some picks, I have been using my brothers Samsung galaxy s and it works well. 4" super amoled screen, light, thin, front facing camera along with 5mp camera with flash, takes video in 720 p 30 fps, texts fine. 1650 mah Battery lasts all day connected to wifi with 30% to 40% to spare, lasts for days if you are not constantly watching videos or have it searching for wifi, also acts as a wifi hotspot. I find them here new unlocked for $160. Not bad for a smartphone from the stone age. I would be satisfied with this but my brothers phone is locked to a carrier and I haven't loaded it with my favorite apps. I find the Gingerbread 2.3.6 operating system to be ultra stable. A good all around phone at reasonable price. My sister in law has been working the hell out of hers for over 2 years.

My girl has an old samsung galaxy y, bare bones by todays standards and I would not recommend it unless you were cash strapped and need something to tide you over until you could get something better, although it texts fine also. Good news is samsung updated this phone (galaxy young 6310) with a better processor with 768 MB ram inproved from 200MB with 2 GB available system memory to the user, increased the screen from 3.14 to 3.27 while at the same time improving the points per inch from 133 to 176 for a noticeably better display. Expansion card slot to 64GB will hold a huge amount of pictures video files whatever. 3.2mp camera with no flash. Wifi hotspot, 1300 mah battery should last all day for ordinary users. 4.1 jellybean operating system. I am seriously considering one of these as a stopgap until I can get what I want. In US they are about $150, less on Amazon.

A word about Amazon.com. I had been trying to buy a phone from them, Galaxy note, the first one, unlocked. Sellers have sent me the locked AT&T version which would have to be unlocked or worthless to me when I travel. I tried to get away from this by buying a supposedly unlocked phone from Target, got the same thing. Tried Amazon again, this time for the international galaxy note, unlocked for $385 which never was the AT&T model and I was sent a used phone when it was supposed to be new. It was in as new condition except for the fact that someone had changed the software, rooted the phone, installed superuser, probably installed a custom rom, found it didn't work, reinstalled the factory rom, wiped the superuser files but the icon was still on the screen and the phone was not functioning as it should. I could probably fix it but I'm not. Not worth the hassle when I can plunk down $450 at best buy and get a brand new one. There are alot of deals on Amazon, higher end cellphones may not be one of them so buyer beware. I would buy the Galaxy young from Amazon because it's probably just a mass sales item and I would consider the odds good to get exactly what I pay for because there isn't a large profit margin in screwing someone on such an item.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I just told my girl to buy a Cherry Mobile Omega HD 2.0 with Christmas money I am sending her. I hedged a little because the Omega has a 5 inch screen and told her if it is too big to get the Apollo 4.5 inch screen. Both are up to date if not the absolute top of the line. The Omega was priced online for 7,999 php as of Nov 18 and the Apollo was 6,499 php with the major difference being 1/2 diagonal screen size and scratch resistant glass for the Omega. I told her if she chose the Apollo to stock up on screen protectors because HD does not do a great deal of good if you are looking at it through a scratched up screen protector. :thumbsup:. I just ordered a Lenovo a820 for a cheap stopgap phone, ordered it from Amazon for $140. It's cheap enough that I'm willing to experiment on it. By all accounts the hardware is good but I'm sure it will come full of Chinese :lol:. These Lenovo phones are available in the Philippines and probably in a more usable form than my bargain is going to be. :)

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Thanks Robert!  Where were you looking online at the Omega?

robert k
Posted
Posted

OnMyWay, I PM'd the address to you for the updated price list. It's not a link because I'm not fond of links because you never know where you will end up when you click them. The site I found the price list was gb-sb.blogspot.com/2013/05/cherry-mobile-quad-core-android. It was updated Nov 18. I hope my girl can find the reduced price on the Omega 2.0 although 1k pisos is not a deal breaker. Just found the Cherry Mobile site itself has the same price if you click price list and expand it, supposed to be good from October through December. I hope people get plenty of use from this research and it brightens more than just mine and my girls life. :)

Thomas
Posted
Posted

"Another Phone Thread"

Some of the post sounds more as a phone threat,

and some as another phone treat   :)

i am bob
Posted
Posted

You will find the 3 local brands (Cherry, Star and MyPhone) are all reasonably good depending on the model you look at and how much you want to pay. Go to the web site for each brand for your pricing and then watch for the Christmas deals at the secondary retailers as well.

For those who have trouble texting on a smart phone? I gotta ask... Did you try with your screen rotated 90°? Hehehe! :). I go back to work now...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Well, I brought out my old Att zte and actually the typing is not too bad. I can use it for wifi. How much would i expect to pay to have it unlocked? Maybe i will use it. I still need the other phone as it is not for me.

Opened up the browser and installed tapatalk. Seems ok.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990 using Tapatalk 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Well, I brought out my old Att zte and actually the typing is not too bad. I can use it for wifi. How much would i expect to pay to have it unlocked? Maybe i will use it. I still need the other phone as it is not for me.

Opened up the browser and installed tapatalk. Seems ok.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990 using Tapatalk 2

Side note.  Abby got the AT&T ZTE unlocked today for p600.  He wanted 800 and said he had to pay to download the software unlock a ZTE, so he could not go lower.  He said he could do Samsungs and other popular ones for less.  She tried it with her SMART sim and it worked fine.  I'll try it with my SUN sim later after it charges.