Baguio City Airport

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Several times in different topics people have mentioned or had questions about Baguio City airport.  I was there yesterday so I thought I would share some photos.

I believe the airport is open to small non-commercial or military aircraft but we never saw a take off or landing.  There is a road crossing the runway down at the west end and I saw several vehicles, so there is some activity at the  airport.

I can see how it would be dangerous in bad conditions.  There are mountains in all directions!  The runway tilts up at the west end and perhaps this is to give you the extra boost over the mountains!

We went almost to the top of 7410 foot Santo Tomas mountain and I hope to post more pictures from there.  These first two are from about 6500 feet, I think.

post-1784-0-74135600-1388649806_thumb.jp

post-1784-0-72096700-1388649876_thumb.jp

This one is from street level at the east end of the runway on Loakan Road.  You can see the upward tilt of the runway at the west end.

post-1784-0-88573200-1388650225_thumb.jp

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I took almost the exact same photo of the airport from the Sta Tomas mountain rd.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info and pics. I am wondering who flies there? 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info and pics. I am wondering who flies there? 

Only private aircraft and military.  The family here says there are always rumors here about having new commercial flights, but it never happens.  There is too much fog and in the rainy season it can rain hard non-stop for hours.  Even ignoring safety concerns, the airlines have a hard time making money on a lane with a lot of cancellations.

The PMA (Philippine Military Academy) is nearby and they may use it.  We had a nice visit there too.  More pics later.

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

Can't recall the commercial airline we were on, but I've flown in and out of that airport.  It was back in 1999.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Can't recall the commercial airline we were on, but I've flown in and out of that airport.  It was back in 1999.

Yes, the Baguio airport used to have commercial service but due to weather conditions resulting in too many cancelled flights they were discontinued.

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

Funny that we flew to Baguio because my wife was pretty sure that I would get palpitations watching drivers negotiate the zigzag.  We booked our flight and hotel while we were still in Toronto.

She may have been right - even the drive through Tagaytay was enough to frazzle me.

Lou49
Posted
Posted

When I was in Baguio I was told by some residents that the airport had been purchased by the owners of the Victory Liner bus line so that they could keep it shut down and have a monopoly on transportation to and from Baguio. I don' know if it is true but it would not surprise me.....

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

When I was in Baguio I was told by some residents that the airport had been purchased by the owners of the Victory Liner bus line so that they could keep it shut down and have a monopoly on transportation to and from Baguio. I don' know if it is true but it would not surprise me.....

The Victory Liner execs probably took a seminar at General Motors in the US!  GM bought up all the rail systems in the US and shut them down to promote car usage, and look where we are today!   :bash:

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Victory Liner provides excellent service on the Baguio to Manila run at a reasonable cost. After seeing the Baguio airport and hearing some stories from locals about their experience landing there... I will take the bus even if the airport reopens.

The Marcos Highway which the buses use in/out of Baguio on the Manila run is an easy mountain road to drive.

• Like 1