Baguio City Airport

Lou49
Posted
Posted

Baguio is about one hour from Manila by air. They have weather radar and lines of communication. Commercial flights could be done if someone wanted to and was permitted to do it.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

The new expressway TPLEX from Tarlac to La Union is going to be a big boost for Baguio.  The first part is open Tarlac to Paniqui, I think about 12 km.  I'm guessing that when it is done it will only be about 2 to 2.5 hours to go from Baguio to Clark.  We made it back from Baguio to Subic (Subic is about 1 hour farther than Clark) in around 4 hours on Friday.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info and pics. I am wondering who flies there? 

We were at the Baguio airport again last weekend and I missed a good photo op.  This time we drove straight across the runway but I didn't have my camera out, and we came back a different way.

Apparently the airport is only open for private aircraft and helicopters for 4 hours a day.  2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon.  At other times they let cars drive through a gate and cross the runway, as it is a shortcut for houses on each side.  There is an access road on one side that has houses about 200 feet from the center of the runway.  It must get noisy if they have a jet come in!

It does not appear that there will be any commercial activity in the near future!

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

The new expressway TPLEX from Tarlac to La Union is going to be a big boost for Baguio.  The first part is open Tarlac to Paniqui, I think about 12 km.  I'm guessing that when it is done it will only be about 2 to 2.5 hours to go from Baguio to Clark.  We made it back from Baguio to Subic (Subic is about 1 hour farther than Clark) in around 4 hours on Friday.

The TPLEX now has ~45 km open and it was a nice drive last weekend.  There are still 3 more stretches and exits to be built, according to the signs at the toll booths.  It now ends in the Rosales area and I think the next stretch is a hard one because there is a large river area to be crossed.

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

The TPLEX now has ~45 km open and it was a nice drive last weekend.  There are still 3 more stretches and exits to be built, according to the signs at the toll booths.  It now ends in the Rosales area and I think the next stretch is a hard one because there is a large river area to be crossed.

I took the deluxe midnight Victory Liner bus a few months ago from Baguio to Pasay. It used the new TPLEX and total time from Baguio to Pasay was only 4 and a half hours.

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

4 1/2 hours without a CR is a long time. None of the buses in Cebu have a CR on board, what about the Victory Liners going to Baguio?

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

4 1/2 hours without a CR is a long time. None of the buses in Cebu have a CR on board, what about the Victory Liners going to Baguio?

Judy and I have taken long trips on buses, mostly around southern Luzon.  They usually have an established

bus stop along the way.  Perhaps maybe 15-20 minutes to do your thing in the CR or go out to the nearest

bush, if there are long lines.....he, he.  Judy and I would quickly consume our baluts and fish heads and then

a couple San Magoos and cigarettes.  Works for me......

Victory Liner has greatly improved over the last several years, especially their driving discipline, at least on the

deluxe buses anyway.  Road conditions up that mountain is always in need of constant repair and it would seem

they are keeping up with mother nature's calamities.  

However, I'm not too sure about the maintenance and upkeep of Baguio-Loakan Airport.  Google Map shows the

paved street across the western end of the runway and scanning to the right, you can see many footpaths across

along the whole length.  I could just imagine a military C-130 center punching a family of carabaos and pissing

off a little old lady smoking a cigar while she tends to her precious palay on the tarmac.  

post-686-0-52073100-1407171527_thumb.jpg

And she has a bolo knife -- Es mo pun being chased by an 80 year old Lola......he, he.  

Edited by Jake
spil chek
  • Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

There was a time when there were no houses around Loakan airport (there was an inn, and the residence of the owners of the inn on one side), but none to the side of the runway.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

The Victiory Liner deluxe first class buses have a CR and are non stop between Baguio and Pasay. I think they only run 4-6 times a day. The Pasay VL bus terminal has an aircon waiting area for the deluxe bus passengers. Regular buses can run as often as every 20 minutes on the Baguio-Pasay run and usually make 3 stops so people can use the CR and get food.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
Road conditions up that mountain is always in need of constant repair and it would seem they are keeping up with mother nature's calamities.  

We always go up on Marcos and down on Kennon Road when it is not rainy season.  I planned on avoiding Kennon this last weekend but the weather was fine so we went down it.  Two small construction areas with virtually no delays.  I have never had any delays going up Marcos.

Especially on Marcos, they have done a lot of work on landslide areas.  Several areas have that solid concrete stuff "sprayed?" on and the wire retainers are used a lot too.  However, Kennon definitely has some areas where a rock could end up on you!  It is a much more scenic drive than Marcos and buses are not allowed so you don't have to worry about them.

The road surfaces on Marcos are very good.  Mostly good solid concrete to support the buses and trucks.  Kennon is not too bad in that regard..

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1