Advice On Buying A New Monitor

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

My current desktop computer monitor has died and I need to buy a new one.  Any advice on buying a new one here in PH?

My current monitor is 22 inch Viewsonic LCD that I bought in Germany in 2007.  It started going black and would sometimes come back on if I shut it off for a while.  I have tried it on two computers so I know it is not the video card.  If I can find a cable around the house today I will swap the cable to check it, but it seems unlikely that the cable went bad.

I am looking at Amazon to use that for a baseline on prices (I realize the price will be higher here) and different types.  I'm looking at 24-26 inch LED and on Amazon you can find them for as low as $125.  It seems like HP has low prices right now.

Anything I should watch out for when I go shopping today?

If I can get the old one fixed I will do it later and use it on another computer.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Bought this a month or so ago at Asian Home Appliance; picture is pretty good, has speaker across the bottom so sound is good. I thought my old monitor was bad, turned out it wasn't (wife fixed it lol). I don't like the no swivel/no tilt but got tired of looking at them and bought it. Wish it had a headphone jack but LEDs don't seem to have them anymore.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I have a followup question.

I have a cheap Lenova desktop purchased in 2012.  It has been fine.

It does not have a video card.  Everything is on the motherboard.

Next to the VGA out, there is an HDMI.  Can I safely assume that I can use this HDMI for output to the new monitor?

The problem is, I don't have the Lenova user guide because it is on the computer and I have no monitor.  I can't find the model number to do a search on the internet.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Bought this a month or so ago at Asian Home Appliance; picture is pretty good, has speaker across the bottom so sound is good. I thought my old monitor was bad, turned out it wasn't (wife fixed it lol). I don't like the no swivel/no tilt but got tired of looking at them and bought it. Wish it had a headphone jack but LEDs don't seem to have them anymore.

So that one has a TV tuner.  That would be fine if I don't have to pay extra for it.  Currently I don't have an easy way to get cable to the location but that could change in the future.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I looked in a few places but didn't see any monitors that were strictly for computers. They were all "TVs". I don't live near malls so my search was limited.

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have a followup question.

I have a cheap Lenova desktop purchased in 2012.  It has been fine.

It does not have a video card.  Everything is on the motherboard.

Next to the VGA out, there is an HDMI.  Can I safely assume that I can use this HDMI for output to the new monitor?

The problem is, I don't have the Lenova user guide because it is on the computer and I have no monitor.  I can't find the model number to do a search on the internet.

If the Lenova's has those two video outputs (VGA and HDMI) available (hardware and software already supported

within the mobo), you should have no problem with either video output.  Most LCD monitors still have both types of

video inputs (VGA, DVI) and the newer monitors have HDMI, so you could use either one.

I also prefer HDMI cables because the video and audio are combined in a nice compact cable -- I just bought a 25'

flat HDMI cable, which is perfect if you want to run under the carpet.

Edited by Jake
spil chek
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Jake, I have been in the Philippines for over a year and my memory is bad.  What is carpet?   :lol:

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

My current desktop computer monitor has died and I need to buy a new one.  Any advice on buying a new one here in PH?

My current monitor is 22 inch Viewsonic LCD that I bought in Germany in 2007.  It started going black and would sometimes come back on if I shut it off for a while.  I have tried it on two computers so I know it is not the video card.  If I can find a cable around the house today I will swap the cable to check it, but it seems unlikely that the cable went bad.

I am looking at Amazon to use that for a baseline on prices (I realize the price will be higher here) and different types.  I'm looking at 24-26 inch LED and on Amazon you can find them for as low as $125.  It seems like HP has low prices right now.

Anything I should watch out for when I go shopping today?

If I can get the old one fixed I will do it later and use it on another computer.

Sorry, can't help you on the local market there.  I would like to know however, about the local after sale service.

What is their return policy?  Can one bring the item back immediately if it was defective?  Do they offer extended

warranty?  Are repairs local and are the techs ET certified and authorized to work on certain brand LCD-LED?

The symptoms about intermittent blackout of your display is usually attributed to a defective power supply.  The

PS accepts the 110/220vac and then converts to DC voltages (24v, 12v, 5v).  At that age of your monitor, more

than likely one or more electrolytic caps blew its wad on the PS board.  Do an open and inspect and you may

find the problem just using your MK 1 eye ball: 

post-686-0-99742900-1388813536_thumb.jpg

Cap on the far left is OK but the other 3 are pregnant and ready to:

post-686-0-52929100-1388813941_thumb.jpg explode!

Edited by Jake
spil chek
  • Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I would like to know however, about the local after sale service. What is their return policy?  Can one bring the item back immediately if it was defective?  Do they offer extended warranty?  Are repairs local and are the techs ET certified and authorized to work on certain brand LCD-LED?

Jake, I was told to bring it back to the store within 7 days for replacement if defective or failed. After that it's a 1 year warranty and most of the work in the Cebu area is done in Mandaue. You take it there. No idea about qualifications.

• Like 2