Life In The Phil

billygoat993
Posted
Posted (edited)

Most expats go here on retirement and live within that bracket. Do you get bored if you just live a laidback life given we should budget everything or is it really better to have other source of income? My wife had a business and when we met we still continue the business but when we started to build a house the employees tool advantage and robbed us almost 2m. She still wants to do business and I am wondering if its just because I am white that they thought we have money or they ate just like that. We pay for their apt and its like a townhouse. We pay them good and with commision. Shops are with cctv nut they broke it. I almost got kidnapped so I wanted to go back in Canada. What is holding us back is we just finished building a big house here. Although the security is very strict my wife do not feel safe when we go out. She do not trust cops as well bec pf our experience. She is scared that we might not have enough given everything hikes up.

Edited by billygoat993
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
Do you get bored?

No.  I'm not trying to be a smart arse but if there is more than this one question in the opening post then I just don't understand what you are trying to say.

Edit after changes to OP

Do you get bored if you just live a laidback life given we should budget everything or is it really better to have other source of income?

I would love to have income from part time employment but I have no faith in 'business for self' here.  It works for some but I have no luck with it.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

billygoat993
Posted
Posted

Do you get bored?

No.  I'm not trying to be a smart arse but if there is more than this one question in the opening post then I just don't understand what you are trying to say.

Sorry posted it without checking.

robert k
Posted
Posted

Gardening and canning is what I would do if I had way too much time on my hands, it could save a considerable amount of money too over the long haul. I usually don't get bored though, I like to walk a couple miles each day and more than one walk a day is not out of the question. Continuing education on the computer is also on my list (the walking balances my computer chair-potato habit) and I try to watch television once a month whether I need it or not :). As for business, I'm inclined to think that what happened to you would happen to me also and it would just be too hard to make the 2 million pisos back and what is to say it wouldn't happen again in that time? I wish you much better fortune in the future.

• Like 2

billygoat993
Posted
Posted

Thanks Robert. I wish there is a law here and we get some sort of protection. It is hard to do daily inventory that is the common problem in our situation. People get tempted to steal and are not scared to do it anymore.

I am telling my wife to just start a construction business that caters to expats who usually gets scammed and victimized by some people. She said its hard cause she will feel bad if she learned later that the filipina took the property and leave the husband next to nothing.

I guess too soft hearted and business can't go together.

• Like 1

northtoalaska
Posted
Posted

"I almost got kidnapped so I wanted to go back in Canada. What is holding us back is we just finished building a big house here. Although the security is very strict my wife do not feel safe when we go out. "

I'd suggest you seriously listen to yourself. Sell out, even at a loss and get yourselves back to Canada if you both feel threatened. Or, at the very least look to moving elsewhere in the PI where the security situation is better before the guys with the machetes bust in your door some night.

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted (edited)

we are all different in what we think we would like and really what we need, yes do the walking and do the fishing and everything else you may what to do , but it seems to me the best thing we all can do is keep the money deep in our pockets ,

Someone once said why are you looking at a small business and even a house over there, you want to get rid of the stress you are leaving here but you will be making stress there too, makes you think,

If you have enough money to last out your days with out investments , then just enjoy what is in front of you, now where did i put the bottle opener

Edited by stevewool
  • Like 2

billygoat993
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the advice, now I am learning cause I thought my wife is just over exagerating when she says people rob or kill just for a small amount or just for a cp. Well, its true she is from the Philippines and she is not that trusting or at ease. Back in Canada we leave our doors unlock she said not here and gate ahould be locked and so forth.. This is all an inside job from our previous employees who we think are member of some group in PI. But there is really no law here which is scary. Everyone out there just be careful and I agree we save what we can cause if time comes we are in foreign land.

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Odd, Saint Rosa is one of the places spouse is wanting us to visit due to its natural beauty; been highly recommended by other friends as well, both Pinoy and Kano.  SAO very aware of the dangers to Westerners, particularly in some areas of Mindanao. When you say "group", what kind of group do you mean?  Extremist or criminal?  I know they're not about to declare themselves but the info would be handy in making an informed decision.  

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Back in Canada we leave our doors unlock

I have done the same thing here in Philippines for the last 2 years.  But the rules are the same as back in Canada.  Live in a rural, provincial area where people are good neighbors.  Get to know those neighbors.  Hope there are no 'bad guys' operating in that area.  Living in Cebu I suffered through a daytime break and enter but in the rural area I live in now it is boring as hell but no one ever bothers me.  Shame I am moving tomorrow but I need a little more excitement

• Like 2