What Do I Need To Stay In The Philippines For The Very First Time?

Alby
Posted
Posted

Hello all...

I am planning on moving to the Philippines soon and would like to know what kind of an airline tricket should I get?

Do I get a one way ticket to the Philippines or a round trip? What about the dates?

I won't be using the ticket back to the USA but should I still get one?

I understand they would give me 30 days as a tourist but then wouldn't they ask at the airport about my return ticket, when I arrive?

I intend to extend my tourist visa to 6 months after arrival then do it again for another 6 months. I don't intend to return to the USA but could very well go to Malaysia or Australia for a while then back to the Philippines.

Any thoughts folks?

Thank you,

Al..

robert k
Posted
Posted

I'm going to get a one way ticket on my next trip and the cheapest  "onward" throwaway ticket I can find that I won't be using. I and I think others would recommend a R/T ticket for thos who have never been to the Philippines and have it dated as far in the future as they can get, because they might need a ride home if things don't work out. Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

Bigdog
Posted
Posted

you dont need a return ticket to the US , just a ticket anywjere OUT of the Philippines.. you will need that "throw away" ticket BEFORE you get on the plane in the US..the airlines will not let you on without an exit ticket of some type

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Hello all...

I am planning on moving to the Philippines soon and would like to know what kind of an airline tricket should I get?

Do I get a one way ticket to the Philippines or a round trip? What about the dates?

I won't be using the ticket back to the USA but should I still get one?

I understand they would give me 30 days as a tourist but then wouldn't they ask at the airport about my return ticket, when I arrive?

I intend to extend my tourist visa to 6 months after arrival then do it again for another 6 months. I don't intend to return to the USA but could very well go to Malaysia or Australia for a while then back to the Philippines.

Any thoughts folks?

Thank you,

Al..

Welcome

These questions must be the most asked on this or any forum so best to read a few topics in this visa forum as you will see its been answered all before.

Anyway, the law is you must have an onward ticket to some where, no matter where. The airline in the US will be the ones who do not let you board without an onward ticket.

As far as I know even if you get your first extension at the airport at this stage only Manila BI is doing 6 monthly extensions at this stage.

:cheersty:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I agree that the 'exit ticket' is one of the most asked questions and one of the least practical bureaucratic hassles. I mean the BI is now encouraging tourist to stay up to 3 years, and yet they still want to see your exit ticket. Who knows where to get an exit ticket for 3 years from now (rhetorical question LOL)

• Like 3

Alby
Posted
Posted

Thanks all for the feedbacks!

Actually, I did read alot on this forum about this subject before posting it but, couldn't find any? I did find most posters talk about it but very causually coz it's very normal to them.

Any way then. Here is what I think I will do.

I will buy a one-way ticket to Manila plus another cheap one out of the Philippines to any where as long as it can be thrown away with no heartache.

When I arrive to Manila airport, as one poster has said, I could ask the immigration office for the 6 months extension there and pay him/her.

After that, I should be good to stay in the Phillipines for 6 months then renew it for another 6 months where I am staying?

When they extend it, will they ask about the throw-away ticket though? Should I get another one if the first one got expired?

If you see problems there then please tell.

Many thanks,

Al.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
When they extend it, will they ask about the throw-away ticket though? Should I get another one if the first one got expired?  

No, once your in the country you can forget about an exit ticket until the time comes that you must leave as to the requirements of the BI. Now so you understand there has been a lot of changes in the past 6 months or so as to tourist visa or in fact any type of visa so there is confusion and there is some differences at each BI office at this time. Sooner or later all this will settle down once again. 

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Get the return ticket one way is not a lot cheaper and if you buy the good ticket you can change the date once for free  and depending on the airline maybe even the destination   . Most times its only 300 to 400 cheaper one way  and you never know if you will want to go back 

Oneway tickets back are way more from the Philippines  for some reason  

When you arrive go to immigration office  in the airport , the office is before the passport check

After the 6 months you have to renew your visa every 2 months but you can find people to do this for you but its really easy theses days if you are close to a office most times in under a hour  

One tip I always say is dress nice . I always wear business type clothing on arrival and I get treated very well for my efforts.

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

LOL!!!! I am sorry but that reminds me my father (68 at that time 74 now), he had been here a few times, he never completed his stay and always changed his ticket to leave earlier than the 21 days...usually could not stay more than 10 days.

one day he tells me he will move permanently in PI. Ofcourse he is welcome anytime he wants, I have provided him inside my house a rather separate house of one bedroom, a living room and a toilet, just besides the main kitchen so he would be comfortable. He arrives, he had disconnected all the utilities (electricity, water, tv etc) from his apartment in our home land, changed his bank account so he can receive his pension here etc etc....Plus an open ticket for one year!!

12 days later he left again....hahahhaha

Now he is telling me the same again, I just reply to him come over whenever you want but DO NOT DISCONNECT ANYTHING, and in order to convince him on it, I tell him I need the apartment "alive" because I will be visiting twice or more per year due to a Romanian sexy gf I had (in my dreams). LOL!!!!!

So...Come to Philippines, stay a few days, see how it is and then think of staying here for good!!! IT IS NOT A GOOD PLACE TO BE FOR EVERYONE!!!!

• Like 3

Alby
Posted
Posted

Good info! Thanks folks!

So, here is what I intend to do and some questions...

First, I will buy two tickets. One I am going to use to get to Manila and the second is the cheapest I could find but OUT of Philis. Now should the date on the throw away be within 21 days? Or?

Second, I intend to get a place in Philis to stay at. However, since I don't have a certain address yes, what should I tell the Balikbayan shipper of where to ship it to? Would they accept the change destination once I am there and know where I am? Can I say, just give them any hotel address then change it??

Third, at Manila airport, I intend to ask the immigration officer to give me 6 months tourist visa. Since this only works in Manila now, I intend to renew it every two months where I am until the BI catchup. So, am I on the right track here?

I am still in the process of cutting/redirecting my ties here in the US and intend to move to Philis this April.

Al.