From A Newbie

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I think I bought 1 at Tru Hardware and 1 at Ace. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
mike B where did you buy them.

Although Mike has already told you where he bought his, I shall add that I bought a couple of VERY cheap ones at CDR King.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the update Frosty, lots of useful info there. 

Alby
Posted
Posted

Thanks alot Frosty and guys for the info!

I will heed the advice regarding making friends, the extingusher and the door jammer though.

Frosty, you lucked out with the Filipina friend coz I will be solo when I move to Davao soon!

Mind you, if I don't like Davao, my next stop would be Dumaguete. I hear a lot of good things about it.

Who knows? I might endup in Lapu-Laup drinking St. Miguel with Frosty? :)

To all though...

A German friend of mine who just moved to OZ told me about this app on the phone called "Meet up". It shows the person what's hapenning in his/her neck of woods!

It did show just one for Davao but millions for where I live :) Heck, we only need a few!

Best of luck!

Alby.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

good luck and enjoy every  minute

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Sounds like you are off to a great start, mate.   And your prices sound about the same as I paid in Iloilo (Panay island)

I am coming up on my 1 year mark here. Just relax and enjoy the ride!   :tiphat:

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Sounds like you are off to a great start, mate.   And your prices sound about the same as I paid in Iloilo (Panay island)

I am coming up on my 1 year mark here. Just relax and enjoy the ride!   :tiphat:

1 year all ready thats gone very quick

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I don't think it has been anywhere near a year - but all the stamps in passport say it has!  Amazing...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Ynot
Posted
Posted

Thanks Frosty for your info, would appreciate any updates on your experiences, as I am 3 ot 4 years away from doing what you are doing.  I dont have to worry about finding a friend, already have one.

Cheers

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Now I will tell you, if you come here on your own, you are in for a hell of a time, I really don't think you could do it, maybe you could, but geez it would be hard. My best advice for any one is make a friend, get a friend or even borrow a mates friend coz it will make anything you do here so much easier.

I plan to live on $1000 aus a month and will see how that goes, If anyone is interested I wll update this occasionally and tell you how I am going. By the way I am a single guy so that also makes a difference. Take care and be safe

Hey Frosty,

Thanks to the newer members, this topic is being bumped for a polite reminder about how to start

living like a local rather than a tourist.  You seem to have all your ducks in a row -- I especially like

your suggestions about making friends and the mutual trust of your closest friend.  You never know

when chit hits the fan, your friendly barrio tricycle driver will come and save the day.  

Would love to hear your follow ups sir.......respectfully -- Jake