Srrv Or Tourist

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Just back from my final visit before the big move.  SAO and I got to talking about visas.  She thinks I'm insane forking out for a SRRV (human touch - my PTSD qualifies me - yes I've written to the consulate here with supporting documentation) when we're going to be married early next year.  Is there any advantage to the SRRV over the non-quota immigrant option?  I'm pretty sure I'm not the first one to be in this situation. 

Feel free to wax lyrical on this guys; your input would be greatly appreciated. 

PS: This time I bought 8 piglets... What is it about that every time I'm there I buy livestock???

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

There are pros and cons to both but, really, the best advice is don't make any decisions until you have lived here for a couple of years, at least. Situations change. Just my opinion.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I was filling out the application for the SRRV and when it came time to tell them where my was... I just couldn't do it.  too much of an investment for me.  So I opted for the tourist visa.  I figure I can always get the SRRV later if I want - but more likely will get a 13a before that  :tiphat:

(Depends on how the Boracay Valentines trip goes...)

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

I also was checking into the SRRV just recently and when I came to the part that said I had to deposit my monthly retirement in a Philippine bank I suddenly lost interest again .... check into it VERY carefully even the condo thing is not what it seems .... the condo you buy must be approved by them before they will release funds for you to purchase it ..... no where near enough leeway in their regs for me .... JMHO

:cheersty:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

I also was checking into the SRRV just recently and when I came to the part that said I had to deposit my monthly retirement in a Philippine bank I suddenly lost interest again .... check into it VERY carefully even the condo thing is not what it seems .... the condo you buy must be approved by them before they will release funds for you to purchase it ..... no where near enough leeway in their regs for me .... JMHO

:cheersty:

Yeah Mike, the deeper I look into it the less attractive it appears.  We already own a house in a semi-rural beach area so condo's aren't an option that reason - there are none.  The other sticking point is the government authority that administers my Navy pension won't deposit it overseas; unless BI are happy with the monthly transfer from my Aust account to my BPI account, it's not very clear. 

Just as an aside guys, the PI Consulate in Sydney is aware of the new 36 month rule for tourist visa extensions; not that it does anyone any good that they know, just demonstrates things may finally be moving/filtering through faster than we're used to in the land of fun.  I'm prepared to be disappointed on this front, chances are it's an historical bleep, the speed in general that is.  :1 (103):

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2

generalmark
Posted
Posted (edited)

sounds like she wants out of the pi.

Edited by MikeB
Removed

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I removed most of your post because It has nothing to do with the topic. If you want to get into that start a new topic in the Chatterbox section. 

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

sounds like she wants out of the pi.

Ummm, who wants out PI?

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I checked it rather proper a year ago and reached this conclusion:

If being married to a Filipina, I found 13a much better than SRRV, because I don't want to have to have that much money stucked as SRRV demands. 

BUT that's for my situation. (I want to have my money "working" in business or at least in stockmarket somewhere.)

For people, who have such money as SRRV demand at bank ANYWAY, for you can SRRV be interesting, because no big economical difference for you.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

Did I hear correctly that the application for SRRV cost over $1,400? Personal note about PTSD, 25 years later it bothers me alot less than it did. :tiphat: