Expats In Dipolog City

NavyRN
Posted
Posted

Does anyone know if there are there a lot of Expats/foreigners in Dipolog City?  I have heard that the city is starting to grow.

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Does anyone know if there are there a lot of Expats/foreigners in Dipolog City?  I have heard that the city is starting to grow.

It might be nice, but it is a little too close to Del Norte for my taste. :)

jon1
Posted
Posted

I have driven thru there a few times. I saw quite a few foreigners. Not as much as Dumaguete which is a ferry ride away. It is actually my second choice after Subic. The major detractor is lack of a decent hospital. I felt relatively safe on my stopovers there.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

It's IN Zamboanga del Norte  :)      I suppouse you mean it's to close to muslim guerila.

It happen, but seldom, they act up around Dipolog too, so it isn't among the places where I can think of settling.

>NavyRN 

I don't believe there are any biger amount of foreigners in the Zamboanga provinces, because the muslim guerila like to kill us, if they don't get much pay when they kidnap us. But I have a foreign friend, who VISIT Dipolog city now and then without problems

- except with women  :mocking:

• Like 1

NavyRN
Posted
Posted

It's IN Zamboanga del Norte  :)      I suppouse you mean it's to close to muslim guerila.

It happen, but seldom, they act up around Dipolog too, so it isn't among the places where I can think of settling.

>NavyRN 

I don't believe there are any biger amount of foreigners in the Zamboanga provinces, because the muslim guerila like to kill us, if they don't get much pay when they kidnap us. But I have a foreign friend, who VISIT Dipolog city now and then without problems

- except with women  :mocking:

The muslim faction is what concerns me. My wife and I are planning on retiring in Dipolog.  6 more years.  I can't wait.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
The muslim faction is what concerns me. My wife and I are planning on retiring in Dipolog. 6 more years. I can't wait.
How about you retire at Negros e g in Dumaguete instead? There are rather many foreigners. It's rather good communications from there to Dipolog (via Dapitan) if you want to visit there.

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

Dipolog is a safe heaven to live there. As for muslims, they are people as all of us. If you mean muslim rebels, kidnapping cases etc...do not let the bad press kill your peace in mind. Simply all the mass media (which are not Muslim owned/controlled, totally the opposite) whenever something happens and muslims involved they exploited beyond any limit. Their basic purpose is not to inform but to brain wash that muslims are bad etc.

Anyway,

I have been many times to Dipolog, I even own a nice residential lot of 1000m2 overlooking etc. There is a nice hospital in the area, just outside of the city, 10min tricycle ride towards the airport.

I would retire there with no worries, it is a rather clean city. The expats are in their majority expats and not sexpats, from all over the world. They gather together every weeks and similar, perhaps any member here from Dipolog can tell you more.

My self though I am not the kind of provincial living person, I want the big city to be within a driving range of 1-2 hours and that's what I have here. I made my house, my business, my life all here...no meaning of going anywhere else to retire.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

My wife travels there frequently as that is the closest city to where she lives. I have heard her say there are foreigners there and I did research the place once but some time ago. Looks like a nice place and if you're thinking 6 years down the track then who knows if there will be any rebel's. As Joe said above, its safe and with expats. Some members get frighten as soon as they hear Zamboanga, Mindanao but like anything its what one reads in the paper without really knowing where anything is located. .  :) 

Thomas
Posted
Posted
years down the track then who knows if there will be any rebel's.
Perhaps they have stoped being rebels by Zamboanga has become an autonomy then  :)

It's common muslims exband so concerning settling I think better have some margin enough for future too e g next island  :)

Some of my Filipin friends are from Iligan. They say it has become to many muslims there since they were kids, so my friends have moved from there, only visiting. And Iligan are more far away from the rebels nests than Dipolog is.

I did hope it would end with the peace treaty, but it has been big muslim attacks AFTER that too.

Dipolog is only around 100 km from where an Australian was kidnapped a year ago. That's a distance I go to and back home at night just to dance  :)  so that's to close to settle for my taste.

NavyRN
Posted
Posted

I worry about the muslims because I was in Zamboanga and Basilan several years ago for "work", so I have my reasons to be concerned.