Expats In Dipolog City

jon1
Posted
Posted

Actually, the Aussie was kidnapped from Ipil (about 2 hour drive north of Zamboanga City) in Zamboanga Sibugay. Ipil is not a good place to be. Illigan might be suspect due to it's proximity to Marawi. I did notice a lot of muslims between Ozamis and Illigan. 

I too have been in some of the areas that you have been to NavyRN and a few others for "work" (Tawi Tawi, Jolo, Basilan, Cotabato and of course Zambo). There are some places you just don't go. There are some places you don't want to be caught in after dark. I have driven from Zambo to Dipolog many times. I always time it so that the trip is a daytime drive. It takes me about 5-6 hours depending on road conditions (seems like there is always some construction going on somewhere along the way). Always be prepared for self sufficiency in emergency repairs (good spare tire, tire jack and iron, Preventative Maintenance on the vehicle prior to departure, etc.).

I found Dipolog to be a little cooler temperature wise and moister. It seemed to me that the mountains along the coast gathered the moisture as I found the place very green. The roads were much better there (even had blacktop) and the people were friendly enough. The sand is black in Dapitan. It does have an airport (haven't used it) so you could fly directly to Manila (maybe even Cebu). I believe that there were 2 ferries daily to Dumaguete. I think real estate was comparable to anywhere else in the Phil. 

• Like 1

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

I really do not understand why people freak out to the word Muslims.

Yes there are muslims rebels far south, not even 100km close to Dipolog, who do kidnappings for ransom etc, but there are way many more criminal groups here in manila who do the same and more. But the tag of muslim frightens us?

There are more muslims live at manila (and perhaps Cebu as the entire city) than in small cities such as Dipolog.

Iligan is closer to Cagayan De Oro than to Dipolog, it is a rather muslim town, what bad have you heard from it?

What kind of misconceptions are fueling our minds disturbing our peace? Hey not all muslims are criminals!!!!

For the ones here who have been way south such as zamboanga, basilan, tawi-tawi you all witnessed the poverty existing there. You will all agree that it is the same effect as if a foreigner will go to retire in the slums of tondo!!! Or at payatas (which is just 5km from where i live) and 5km on the other side from some of the expensive areas of manila.

Yes I live at manila but certain areas I simply do not go and other areas I do not pass through at night not even with my car. Same thing is if you go to live at Basilan. It is not that the muslims will hurt you because they are muslims but because there is so much poverty that life means nothing to everyone.

Relax everyone and feel safe!!! this country is safer than many places in our countries!!! Just exercise routine caution and a proper attitude (remember you might feel as king but you are not, it's their country) and your life will be fine in Mindanao or anywhere else!!! 

• Like 2

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I think everyone is missing the point. I have a couple Cebu detective friends with the CCPO, probably the last honest police officers in the Philippines. This is what they tell me in regards to the rebels. Their intellegence on the rebels is the camps are mobile and still operating in regions in Leyte and Mindanao. However, apparently rebel membership is low. I am told, even though their activities have been low key, and out of the media lately, they are still very opportunistic, ( opportunistic is the key word ) and have networks in several cities in Mindanao.

The bottom line is, if living in areas where the rebels are known to have operated you need to exercise more than routine caution. I know what I am talking about. I have been in emergency services my entire life, and have been a very frequent visitor for the past 30 years. One extra word of wisdom, this is from my police friends, they say if you are kidnapped, and you have your mobile phone on you, get rid of it or break it so phone address book can not be accessed. They tell me, if you don't have foreign contacts on you that the rebels can use for ransom etc etc.....they are more inclined to let you go.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I'm not affraid of muslims - One of my friends is muslim - but I'm affraid of muslim REBELS   :)

I think everyone is missing the point. I have a couple Cebu detective friends with the CCPO, probably the last honest police officers in the Philippines. This is what they tell me in regards to the rebels. Their intellegence on the rebels is the camps are mobile and still operating in regions in Leyte and Mindanao. However, apparently rebel membership is low. I am told, even though their activities have been low key, and out of the media lately

Muslim rebels at Leyte??    Isn't it a mixup with NPA?  I'm not affraid of NPA.

Perhaps low membership, but during the last (half) year it has been rather big actions from muslim rebels in both Zamboanga city and Cotobato.

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I'm not affraid of muslims - One of my friends is muslim - but I'm affraid of muslim REBELS   :)

I think everyone is missing the point. I have a couple Cebu detective friends with the CCPO, probably the last honest police officers in the Philippines. This is what they tell me in regards to the rebels. Their intellegence on the rebels is the camps are mobile and still operating in regions in Leyte and Mindanao. However, apparently rebel membership is low. I am told, even though their activities have been low key, and out of the media lately

Perhaps low membership, but during the last (half) year it has been rather big actions from muslim rebels in both Zamboanga city and Cotobato.

I am not talking about Muslims, I am talking about rebel camps in general. I am not particularly afraid of the Muslims, they for the most part live a very peaceful life throughout areas of the Philippines. The rebels (NPA) in Leyte are even more opportunistic than their counterparts in Mindanao. Several were killed by police in Leyte when trying to highjack food and supplies during Yolanda. Several of the ERUF ambulances and other countries units also had to be held at police checkpoints to avoid robbery and foulplay during specific times of the day while they were over there.

My point is, people on this forum should not portray to newbies coming here that the Philippines is a safe haven. It is not downtown Perth, Sydney, Seattle, etc. etc.

A much higher level of situational awareness needs to be exercied when living or visiting. If the expat can do this, then of course everyone is going to go home happy, and we won't see any of these terrible crime stories we see in the news involving expats from time to time.

jon1
Posted
Posted

The Philippines is not a safe haven. It is what you make of it and use what street sense (if any) you have.

I truly like Dipolog, It just doesn't fit for me. I have other interests that would not be easily supported there. Dumaguete would be my next choice. 

But again, they have the same detractors to me which is infrastructure (medical, power and Internet). Lastly, I found Subic as meeting everything.

And anyone thinking the places are safe, review places in their home countries that they would not retire in because they are cheap (South LA, East St. Louis, Detroit, yada yada yada)......

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

Yes there are muslims rebels far south, not even 100km close to Dipolog, who do kidnappings for ransom etc, but there are way many more criminal groups here in manila who do the same and more. But the tag of muslim frightens us?

There are more muslims live at manila (and perhaps Cebu as the entire city) than in small cities such as Dipolog.

Iligan is closer to Cagayan De Oro than to Dipolog, it is a rather muslim town, what bad have you heard from it?

What kind of misconceptions are fueling our minds disturbing our peace? Hey not all muslims are criminals!!!!

For the ones here who have been way south such as zamboanga, basilan, tawi-tawi you all witnessed the poverty existing there. You will all agree that it is the same effect as if a foreigner will go to retire in the slums of tondo!!! Or at payatas (which is just 5km from where i live) and 5km on the other side from some of the expensive areas of manila.

Yes I live at manila but certain areas I simply do not go and other areas I do not pass through at night not even with my car. Same thing is if you go to live at Basilan. It is not that the muslims will hurt you because they are muslims but because there is so much poverty that life means nothing to everyone.

Relax everyone and feel safe!!! this country is safer than many places in our countries!!! Just exercise routine caution and a proper attitude (remember you might feel as king but you are not, it's their country) and your life will be fine in Mindanao or anywhere else!!! 

There are muslims throughout the whole country. All of the knockoff markets, etc. are run by them. 

There are other feelings aside from criminality running thru people's veins when it comes to religion in the Phil.

I do not pity any of the muslims as they have their own financial system that sustains them and the other stuff that they entertain.

I am stopping myself short of being banned and will tell you that there are other inequities in motion that have nothing to do with you but other than a cash cow.

If you want to live in Del Norte or Sur, do your homework, carry a weapon, and make it known that they will not get you without losses. That will deter 99%. The others you will have to worry about. I know, as I did that for several years and decided the fight was not worth the effort. I know of others who still hang on, but that is on them. Why go thru that BS when you don't need to? Especially if it is only you doing it??

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I am not talking about Muslims, I am talking about rebel camps in general. I am not particularly afraid of the Muslims, they for the most part live a very peaceful life throughout areas of the Philippines.

The rebels (NPA) in Leyte are even more opportunistic than their counterparts in Mindanao. Several were killed by police in Leyte when trying to highjack food and supplies during Yolanda. Several of the ERUF ambulances and other countries units also had to be held at police checkpoints to avoid robbery and foulplay during specific times of the day while they were over there.

My point is, people on this forum should not portray to newbies coming here that the Philippines is a safe haven. It is not downtown Perth, Sydney, Seattle, etc. etc.

A much higher level of situational awareness needs to be exercied when living or visiting. If the expat can do this, then of course everyone is going to go home happy, and we won't see any of these terrible crime stories we see in the news involving expats from time to time.

Of course not being affraid of MUSLIMS, but of Muslim GUEARILLA   :)    They have chopped heads of some kidnapped, who they didn't get big ransom for...

IF I GUESS the NPA motive for taking FOOD and supplies during Yolanda, I don't find it suprising at all, because during the first period (almost) all aid went to Tacloban, while many other places got NOTHING, although they were very hard hit too... 

(E g a Filipna, which I know a bit, work elsewhere, but her family live in such place, which got nothing for a long while, so she put herself in debt to buy a tent and food to her family so they could survive when their hut was blown away....)

Yes, we foreigners becomes a target easier, because Pinoys believe we are all rich, and we are easy to see, because of look and often a head taller than Filipins around.

NavyRN
Posted
Posted
I too have been in some of the areas that you have been to NavyRN and a few others for "work" (Tawi Tawi, Jolo, Basilan, Cotabato and of course Zambo).

Jon,

Are you at liberty to say who you were with and when you were there?