Jet Lag Rehab

Jeff R
Posted
Posted

I'm thinking as soon as I set foot on Mactan, I just want to find a place to chill for a few days before I hit the Philippines running. There have been endless suggestions on the best places to stay. But, I have narrowed my choices to 3. On the low end, Europa. In the middle, Goldberry Suites. My choice for something a bit better,

Alta Cebu. Forget the high-priced resorts. I am done with all that and want to start living on the cheap but comfortable. Does anyone have any experience with the Europa Hotel? It's cheap at $22 per night but I understand it has been renovated and it is quite nice, especially for the price.

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

I can't answer on the hotels but as a frequent flier I can say that refraining from alcohol a day or preferably two before the flight and NONE AT ALL during and you will suffer far less.

• Like 2

Jeff R
Posted
Posted

I can't answer on the hotels but as a frequent flier I can say that refraining from alcohol a day or preferably two before the flight and NONE AT ALL during and you will suffer far less.

Thanks for the advice! Since you fly frequently, let me ask, What would you recommend to put me to sleep for a while or help me relax. Any flight over 2 hours and I get goofy. Well, I'm goofy anyway but you know what I mean. Any help with a 15 hour flight would be most appreciated.

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the advice! Since you fly frequently, let me ask, What would you recommend to put me to sleep for a while or help me relax. Any flight over 2 hours and I get goofy. Well, I'm goofy anyway but you know what I mean. Any help with a 15 hour flight would be most appreciated.

I too hated the time spent and I used to really dread it in the days before inflight entertainment etc but now I have learnt to enjoy the travelling as well as the getting there. I'm not a great fan of TV/films so usually have something interesting to work on during the journey.... planning the layout of your dream house, writing a diary/trip report, writing a letter to a long lost friend telling them all about your life over the last 20/30/40 years etc. No matter what it is find something that interests you and get involved, it's amazing how this helps. Take regular "breaks" from your activity, go chat to the crew, anything to break the monotony and to not finish your project too quickly.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

You will have no trouble with jet lag coming this way to the PI but I always do when I return to Canada.

For the hotels, go to Agoda or Trip Advisor or Hotels.com and read their reviews. We stayed at the Alpa Suites twice now and liked it with no problems

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I always stay at the holiday day spa hotel , great place to chill with awesome pool and gym.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
nigelmac
Posted
Posted

I always stay at the holiday day spa hotel , great place to chill with awesome pool and gym.

I have checked out there internet site and price location and amenities tick all the boxes for me thanks Mike :thumbsup:

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I have the same problem Jeff. Speak to your Doctor, he may prescribe an anti anxiety medication.

Curley is spot on..... No alcohol or coffee before or during the long flight. I drink a lot of water and eat healthy meals during the flight and layovers.

Good luck let us know how it goes this trip!

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I've found that drinking lots of water and exercise is the best way to adjust your body AFTER you reach your destination.  

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Jeff, I stay at express inn, mactan, 10 mins from the airport, 1100 pesos a night with breakfast, b/fast is ok but if you are a big eater get 2, small hotel, bit out of the way, staff are great, rooms clean, always have driver/ hire cars there, 20 pesos tric ride to Le Neavau supermarket which has a good, safe money changer inside the door, security guards are always there, never had a problem and close to the local market. I loathe to recommend a place as what's good for me isn't always good for others but I have stayed twice and enjoyed. When you get here and I have some spare time give us a shout happy to have a beer, if you buy hahahahahhaha sound like a filipino

Edited by Frosty