Vpn Service

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have been using Vyper VPN for $15 a month.  I have had problems with it since they did an upgrade and have to reinstall it almost every day.  Their support staff has been unable to help me.  Also I may have gotten a cease & desist letter from CBS video for a torrent download... so much for anonymity, huh?

Anyway... my connection is weird here.  I cannot access this forum, or any Wordpress site unless I use a VPN.  So I am looking for a good VPN service - free would nice.  Funny thing with this forum - I can access and view but not post.  When I load with thru a VPN - I can post.  I don't pretend to understand at all.

I am currently trying CyberGhost, and SecurityKiss.  Both are free but have serious limitation on the free account.  Anybody got any good suggestions for a VPN service?  I use it for Netflix a lot and can pay if I need to.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Are you logged into the forum when you're unable to post? I've had StrongVPN for about a year and a half, $55 a year. No problems so far. They've made the installation/configuration as automated and easy as they can. I haven't seen a good free one.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

It is weird here.  I am logged in, can view, and write a comment... with my regular login (Globe thru Cebu) but cannot post the comment until log in with a VPN.   And I can login from anywhere apparently.  Right now I am logged in thru Romania. (seems to be Ghost's default login server)

CyberGhost has a 45 second wait to login and a 3 hour connection limit, but you can immediately log back in, on their free account.   SecurtyKiss has a 300 Mb download limit on their free account.

I don't mind paying but I need one that is more torrent friendly than Vyper.

I have heard good things about Strong VPN  I will have to check them out.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Try ProXPN.com. They have a free account with limited bandwidth and no torrents. The paid version is like 6 or 7 USD/month.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

What ever you do do not sign up with the free .... Hotspot Shield .... I used them for a while until I found out they teamed up with AFNCA Inc. ..... a nasty little company that targets your computer with ad wear ..... I wondered why I was getting bombarded with requests for AFNCA to access my  firewall .... both on Peer Block and my new antivirus program BitDefender .... when I compared them I saw AFNCA trying to get through my firewall ..... I checked on Google for AFNCA Inc. and learned all kinds of nasty crap including that Hotspot Shield uses them as a means to provide free service to it's users .... I deleted Hotspot Shield this morning and have not had an incident since ..... JMHO

:cheersty:  

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Anyway... my connection is weird here.  I cannot access this forum, or any Wordpress site unless I use a VPN.  So I am looking for a good VPN service - free would nice.  Funny thing with this forum - I can access and view but not post.  When I load with thru a VPN - I can post.  I don't pretend to understand at all.

Can you tell me what happens when you say you can not post, what does it say or do?

Are you using any ad blocking programs?

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was using Hotspot before until they forced an upgrade which was based out of UK and would not allow me to change it to US unless I got their pay version. Out the window they went. I looked around and found one called Soft Ether. It was made by students from the Univ of Japan. The students had many friends and family from China and was unable to reach them due to the great Firewall which China uses to isolate their people from the rest of the world so they worked on a way to say F U to them (Their quote not mine). It allows free VPN access to over 100 different servers all over the world. So far, it has worked ok for me. It does disconnect at times but that is mostly the unstable service of PLDT. It lets me use Hulu, CBS, Xoom with no problems at all.

Edited by Steve & Myrlita

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I would like to find one that is not US based (but has US available tunnel). I am trying out a couple from the Netherlands right now. I can deal with the limitations while I decide which is good enough to pay for...

I read the reviews of HotSpot free accounts and a major complaint was the spammy ads.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I would like to find one that is not US based (but has US available tunnel). I am trying out a couple from the Netherlands right now. I can deal with the limitations while I decide which is good enough to pay for...

I read the reviews of HotSpot free accounts and a major complaint was the spammy ads.

ProXPN.com is located outside the US but has VPN destinations in the US and other areas of the world.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I use HideMyAss.com.  Works okay, but it does take a toll on your internet speed so you need a fast connection on the Philippine side if you want to stream video, etc.

• Like 1