An Estranged Foreign Husband.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I was going to stay away from this thread but I really like this Alan guy. I think he is taking the criticism constructively, I just don't think he is ready to follow it. I hope he's right, that this will not be a train wreck and that he stays on the forum because I believe that it will take time to get his lady a passport if hers is not current. How long are Phillipine passports good for? Could Alan's lady with a valid passport just hop on a plane and visit some other, presumably Asian but any other country where it isn't difficult to get a visa, where she could get a divorce?

I understand that if the foreigner initiated divorce proceedings abroad she could submit her divorce decree to a court and gain the capacity to marry again, but is there any reason she could not initiate the divorce proceedings abroad and upon return to the Philippines submit her divorce decree to a court? Wouldnt it be the same thing or does it have to be the foreigner who initiates it? Does anybody know? I would like this to not be a train wreck. It's almost Valentines day here. :tiphat:

Alan, just proceed slowly, probing gingerly for the landmines.

As I have understood it, such divorce would be valid in (most) other countries, but NOT valid in the Philippines (if it's registered there). If registered in Philippines, it has to be an "annulment" (or she switch to an other religion which allow divorce.)

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)
I understand that if the foreigner initiated divorce proceedings abroad she could submit her divorce decree to a court and gain the capacity to marry again, but is there any reason she could not initiate the divorce proceedings abroad and upon return to the Philippines submit her divorce decree to a court? Wouldnt it be the same thing or does it have to be the foreigner who initiates it? Does anybody know? I would like this to not be a train wreck. It's almost Valentines day here. :tiphat:

A Philippine passport is good for 5 years. I know because it shows on Myrlita's passport. As for divorce law in the RP, only the foreign spouse can file in their home country. Then and only then can a Filipino spouse petition the court to release them from their marriage. If a divorce is filed jointly or Filipino spouse files, then the RP will not recognize it.

Edited by Steve & Myrlita
  • Like 1