Long Stay In Philippines - How To?

Carabao
Posted
Posted

Hi guys!

Probably my most important post!

I wanna live in Philippines but really have no idea of the Immigration Regulations.

To explain a bit my situation, here's some details:

- Canadian Citizen

- Filipino Girlfriend with dual citizenship Filipino/Canadian

- Plans to get Married in Philippines within 2 years

I wanna settle a small business in Philippines ( probably under her name ).

What are the options to stay in Philippines without having to fly every 2-3 months?

Thanks in advance!

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum. You don't have to leave every couple of months, I believe you can now stay up to 36 months on a Tourist Visa before being required to leave. There have been a lot of changes at BI recently, both in policies and web site (note the non-working links). Very much a work in progress but this should give you an idea:

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php/visa-requirements/non-immigrant-visa/temporary-visitor-visa/extension-of-authorized-stay-beyond-59-days

If married, there are other options. I suggest you visit the link below, there's a lot of good info there.

http://www.philippines-expats.com/forum/8-travel-and-visa-information/

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
Filipino Girlfriend with dual citizenship Filipino/Canadian - Plans to get Married in Philippines within 2 years

as MIKE had said many updates/changes has occurred just recently on "visas"

so keep informed at the BI or facebook BI site

2.would suggest (althou I am not married) that you marry outside the RP.

I am sure that your marriage will be life-long,, but....in case its not,, 

trying to remarry in the RP is very expensive.

Allow some of the other members to offer that info.

3.A business? . please talk w/other expats on this forum of what experiences they have or had.

Calling BILLYGOAT, he can give some good advice on his and his wife experiences

Carabao
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum. You don't have to leave every couple of months, I believe you can now stay up to 36 months on a Tourist Visa before being required to leave. There have been a lot of changes at BI recently, both in policies and web site (note the non-working links). Very much a work in progress but this should give you an idea:

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php/visa-requirements/non-immigrant-visa/temporary-visitor-visa/extension-of-authorized-stay-beyond-59-days

If married, there are other options. I suggest you visit the link below, there's a lot of good info there.

http://www.philippines-expats.com/forum/8-travel-and-visa-information/

Thanks MikeB!

If the 36 months stay under tourist visa is possible, that will definitely simplify things!

Carabao
Posted
Posted
2.would suggest (althou I am not married) that you marry outside the RP. I am sure that your marriage will be life-long,, but....in case its not,, trying to remarry in the RP is very expensive. Allow some of the other members to offer that info.

Thanks for your recommendation!

I know exactly what a Marriage in the RP involve and that's fine with me!

If I calculate the fees to pay ( flight tickets, visas for the whole family etc. ) if I get married outside the RP I think it will be more expansive.

On this, the wedding will be in the RP but thanks for your advice!

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)

Geting VISA is easy, the hard partt is to figuere out which suit best   :)  for each person's situation concerning convinience and costs.   In your case it will be much better after you have married a Filipina.  (There are other options, but I supppouse BB (if you will travel abroad with your wife anyway/want to) or 13a.)

IF your WIFE will do the business work in a SMALL business, then it don't cost much and is (rather) easy,

BUT do you plan to work in it yourself?    If so, then it will be much more complicated (if you don't invest VERY much). Not simple business start, work permit demanded.

And many types of jobs are foreigners not allowed to have. 

Edited by Jollygoodfellow

Carabao
Posted
Posted (edited)

Geting VISA is easy, the hard partt is to figuere out which suit best   :)  for each person's situation concerning convinience and costs.   In your case it will be much better after you have married a Filipina.  (There are other options, but I supppouse BB (if you will travel abroad with your wife anyway/want to) or 13a.)

IF your WIFE will do the business work in a SMALL business, then it don't cost much and is (rather) easy,

BUT do you plan to work in it yourself?    If so, then it will be much more complicated (if you don't invest VERY much). Not simple business start, work permit demanded.

And many types of jobs are foreigners not allowed to have. Here one of the sponsors to this website show the rules about this

Thanks Thomas for these infos!

In fact, I'm planning to settled my GF business! Maybe I'll do things at home but will not work at the business itself. We mostly planned to hire relatives to work!

So I think the best way is to get a Tourist Visa and extended for 36 months!

Proceed with Marriage that was planned already and apply for a different type of visa!

Edited by Jollygoodfellow

Thomas
Posted
Posted
In fact, I'm planning to settled my GF business! Maybe I'll do things at home but will not work at the business itself. We mostly planned to hire relatives to work! So I think the best way is to get a Tourist Visa and extended for 36 months! Proceed with Marriage that was planned already and apply for a different type of visa!

(I don't understand what you mean with your first sentence.)

I suppouse no problem doing some work from home - as long as no wrong person know that  :)         I know some foreigners work through Internet , not telling the Philippine officials, but I wouldn't try that, because of the problems it can make if they found out. They DON'T need to find out themselves, there are many jelous people. Some foreigners have even got huge problems by FALSE accusations...

Because of trying to get some more control of my investment, I will perhaps let my Swedish company ow the equipment and lease it to the Philippine company. I don't know if I will need work permit as representing my Swedish company to keep an eye of my equipment   :)   I will check that when I have moved, if I don't chose a business where I get work permit easy anyway.

Concerning VISA I plan to do as you - except stop extentending my tourist VISA after I have married  :)  switching to 13a then.

Carabao
Posted
Posted

In fact, I'm planning to settled my GF business! Maybe I'll do things at home but will not work at the business itself. We mostly planned to hire relatives to work! So I think the best way is to get a Tourist Visa and extended for 36 months! Proceed with Marriage that was planned already and apply for a different type of visa!

(I don't understand what you mean with your first sentence.)

I suppouse no problem doing some work from home - as long as no wrong person know that  :)         I know some foreigners work through Internet , not telling the Philippine officials, but I wouldn't try that, because of the problems it can make if they found out. They DON'T need to find out themselves, there are many jelous people. Some foreigners have even got huge problems by FALSE accusations...

Because of trying to get some more control of my investment, I will perhaps let my Swedish company ow the equipment and lease it to the Philippine company. I don't know if I will need work permit as representing my Swedish company to keep an eye of my equipment   :)   I will check that when I have moved, if I don't chose a business where I get work permit easy anyway.

Concerning VISA I plan to do as you - except stop extentending my tourist VISA after I have married  :)  switching to 13a then.

Hi Thomas! Sorry for that confusion!

To clarify a bit, the business type is a restaurant!

Part of food preparations will be made from the family house where I'm staying and will be delivered at the restaurant!

Example: Washing potatoes freshly harvested from the family fields.

Simply helping the family in their daily routine!

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Good a restaurant, Where will it be ? What besides potatoes will be served? Chicago dogs, Italian Beef, Cheeseburgers maybe even with real cheese, perhaps a beer or two also, just a wondering.

​Lets us know so we may patronize you new endeavor.  Never mind the above, just things I like.  I'm sure others have things they enjoy too, even if not as good. :cheersty: 

• Like 1