Philippines Or Bust

Thomas
Posted
Posted
in a previous topic, helping the family or family tax. try to read those so you can have a better understanding of how to help her family if you so want.
Actualy the Philippines has a LAW saying you HAVE TO support the family if needed. The law is very unclear concerning level and who, but as I understand it, except after retire age of e g parents, you DON'T need to pay to lazy relatives, because they don't try their best... BUT that's MY interpretation of the law, I'm not sure if it's corect.

A good thing: If you have taxed income in Phils, there are DEDUCTIONS for the first 5 (?) living of your income, but your wife and kids are included in that number. One 50 000p/year, the others 25 000p each.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Jeff just cruise mate, you'll either love it or hate it depending on your expectations.  Me? I renovated a house there, major frustration doing that (quotes are a very rough guide).  But just remember why you're there and all will be good.  Chill, sit back, and take it all in.  I l left the west (about to anyway) because of the unrealistic expectations with regards to the suburban waste-land and life in general.  If you remind yourself why you're there, you'll be ok. You don't strike me as a dummy, just really hope you find what you're after. The love of a good woman will hold you in good stead; and hey, save you a sh&tload of money too if you let her do the talking! Hint, don't go to the wet markets with her... They see you and the price will go up.

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 1

Jeff R
Posted
Posted

Thank you my friends for all your support and advice. Is there a story about lending money to Subic Steve? lol  In regard to helping the family, it has already been decided that we will set aside X amount of dollars every month to use only when it is needed by her family. I will be the one who decides if something is needed. My Filipina is okay with that arrangement. As all of you have advised, I plan on taking things very slow. I am following much of what I have learned in this forum. I fully and completely understand that no amount of research or preparations will prepare you for the reality of living in the Philippines. It will slap me across the back of my head just like it did for the rest of you. Thanks again everyone.

• Like 2

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

If you have a good partner here then you will know what real happiness is, you see it every day here, the love and warmth these people have for each other is truly unbelievable and more power to them.

• Like 2

bows00
Posted
Posted

For family issues, I was planning to give my filipina a monthly allowance and any family issue will come out this.  So it would be up to her to decide how much to give and budget. 

Lou49
Posted
Posted

For family issues, I was planning to give my filipina a monthly allowance and any family issue will come out this.  So it would be up to her to decide how much to give and budget.

I used to give my gf 5,000 p every 2 weeks allownace so that i would not have to deal with the family's requests.....her allowance was gone the day after she received it and the family was always asking for an advance on the next allowance. It was a bad plan. Once you start giving the requests never stop and more and more people get in line for their " share". My advice would be don't give anything.
  • Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted

In regard to helping the family, it has already been decided that we will set aside X amount of dollars every month to use only when it is needed by her family. I will be the one who decides if something is needed.

Before you start "setting aside", consider post #16.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
save you a sh&tload of money too if you let her do the talking! Hint, don't go to the wet markets with her... They see you and the price will go up.

Certainly let her do the talking. My wife has been going to the wet market for many years so she knows the prices. When I am with her, if they raise the prices, she just walks away and then they don't do it next time. Most of the time we use our sukis. Sometimes, for a taxi, I stand back to let her get the price first but then again, if the price is not the norm, she waves them on.

Bottom line, a good woman is worth her weight in gold! (fortunately they a small woman)

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

When we went to Marinduque last November, towards the end of our stay, my wife caught a cold, and asked if I could buy calamansi at the market.  She bought calamansi on her last trip, but we went through so much of it, and were nearly out. 

So as not to be duped, she told me the price she paid.  Was I ever proud to walk back into the house, having purchased calamansi for less than she did!

To be honest, I got the better price per kilo because I bought more.  However, the locals are on to my wife.  She speaks the language and dresses down, but they still see her as a tourist.

• Like 1