Philippine Sex Education

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Equal justice is a saying, not a reality, whether in the US, Canada or the Philippines. Money buys what it can. There are many examples especially in the US of money buying its own kind of justice.

Having been the Co-ordinator for all Health and Drug Education teachers in Greater London (England), I can state that sex education starts as early as grad 1 (in some areas) in the UK. I was even requested to teach in the Catholic Schools there (all be it there were some words and examples that I was asked not to use).

It is never too early to teach young people the consequences of sex. As to the benefits, well that might come later in life!

I agree that if the Catholic Church had no influence in the schooling system and politics here, there would likely be less unwanted pregnancies.

However it is not the only factor, it is common in most "third world" countries to have large families. After all the more children you have, the better your chances of "being taken care of" in your old age.

Papa Carl

• Like 2

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Equal justice is a saying, not a reality, whether in the US, Canada or the Philippines. Money buys what it can. There are many examples especially in the US of money buying its own kind of justice.

Having been the Co-ordinator for all Health and Drug Education teachers in Greater London (England), I can state that sex education starts as early as grad 1 (in some areas) in the UK. I was even requested to teach in the Catholic Schools there (all be it there were some words and examples that I was asked not to use).

It is never too early to teach young people the consequences of sex. As to the benefits, well that might come later in life!

I agree that if the Catholic Church had no influence in the schooling system and politics here, there would likely be less unwanted pregnancies.

However it is not the only factor, it is common in most "third world" countries to have large families. After all the more children you have, the better your chances of "being taken care of" in your old age.

Papa Carl

Hopefully the next pinoy generation will do a better job in taking care of their parents than the current trend.

• Like 1

Miguk
Posted
Posted
Hopefully the next pinoy generation will do a better job in taking care of their parents than the current trend.

That is a bedrock custom in the Philippines isn't it?

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

The biggest problem is health education. Our most often call out is for geriatric patients at home. Most often the children call us for parents that are unwell, several days after when they should have. As a result sepsis and pneumonia are one if the biggest killer , when usually common sense would super seed.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

A Facebook group I am in was having this same discussion. I commented there, and thought I had already commented here.

The Catholic government does not want a well educated populace.  They can be troublesome.  In the 1800's British officers were complaining about too many of the enlisted men being taught to read.  Once they got some education they would question authority.   The Catholic government knows this. 

You would think if people followed the church there would be no sex outside marriage - and thus no single moms (but that does nothing for the parents with 10 kids)  Nothing against the Filipinos that I have seen but most seem to give lip service to the church.  They say they are Catholic just as most Americans say they are christian.  But rarely go to church, don't read the bible (I have yet to see a Filipino house with a bible).   Most I know say they are Catholic but they don't have any idea what that means.

So human nature comes in and, well men and women being what we are... sex is being had.  The lack of proper sex-ed makes birth control not a social norm.  It is like a taboo subject around here.  Having sex is a natural function and just accepted - regardless of the church teachings.  But birth control is like preemptive abortion.  That is going to be a tough nut to crack.

Funny example from my daughter.  I was as single dad, raising my kids Hindu.  They say no sex except for procreation - married or not - sex is only to have babies.  So you can forget birth control of any kind (man is that ignored!).  Well as my kids grew I would answer their questions truthfully - yet partially.  When a 4 year old asks where babies come from "the hospital" is correct.  It is not the whole truth, but enough.  Later, when they are older, the answer changes to "mommies tummy" etc.  Eventually they ask how does it get in mommies tummy... now they are ready for a more detailed answer.  That was my theory anyway... I thought it was working...  So my daughter is 9 at the time and her babysitter left her husband & kids to get a 21 year old boyfriend.  Within a couple months she turns up pregnant.  So my daughter asks me "If Mother Janava is not married... how did she get pregnant?"  Now while I am quickly trying to come up with the best way to tell her that while marriage is preferred when having babies it is not exactly biologically necessary...  She finishes her statement.  "If she is not married... hasn't she ever heard of condoms?" 

My god!  They do listen!!  So yeah, both kids made it through high school with no pregnancies.  My son is still in college... we hope he makes it out with no kids.  My daughter got her degree and is engaged.  Whew! 

Sex ed is very important but getting anything past the Bishops is going to be an uphill battle.  You see what happened to the RH bill.

• Like 2

Miguk
Posted
Posted

The biggest problem is health education. Our most often call out is for geriatric patients at home. Most often the children call us for parents that are unwell, several days after when they should have. As a result sepsis and pneumonia are one if the biggest killer , when usually common sense would super seed.

I understand that it is a source of pride to take care of the old people, etc. ect., but there is something to be said for Western nursing homes that can monitor and hopefully prevent issues from becoming serious in elders.

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted

Sex education in the schools may be a good idea schools, but I don't think kids should be given any homework!

-Bill Cosby

:hystery: :hystery: :hystery: