Test Results For Als Students Finally Published

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

For those who don't know ALS stands for Alternative Learning System. Its a Government run educational program for Filipinos who did not complete high school. Its free except for the student's ID card and a school uniform which can be worn any time the student wants to but is mostly for special school events like a parade. The class is between 4 to 6 months long and is taught in many cities nation wide. I think the starting age to attend is 16 but there's no upper limit. My wife and her brother attended ALS in Carcar where there were several people in their 40's and some in their 50's.

My wife and her brother are on the list of graduates alone with most of their friends but 2 of our friends are not on the list. They didn't graduate but the good news is there's no limit to how many times a person can attend ALS. One of our friends has failed 2 times now but she should keep trying every year until she graduates.

Regular exams on different subjects are given each week but the only exam that counts is given at the end of the course. To prevent cheating the final exam is collected by the local Superintendent of Education in the classroom and mailed by him to the Department of Education in Manila to be graded. The exam that my wife, her brother and their friends took was given on October 17, 2013. Today is February 23, 2014. She received the results on Facebook today so that's four months. Seems like a very long time to find out if you passed. That long delay wouldn't be acceptable in most countries. Her brother has been waiting 4 months to find out if he is eligible to apply for a job or to attend college. When I saw how many thousands of names there are on the list then I understood why it took so long. Its a shame there is no one in Carcar that can be trusted to grade the exams fairly without taking bribes to give a passing grade. And, this applies to the entire nation.

Below is a link to the ALS Test Results:

http://www.iliked.me/als-exam-result/?letter=a

Edited by Americano
  • Like 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Its a Government run educational program for Filipinos who did not complete high school.
Meaning it's same level of education as Filipin High School?

Americano
Posted
Posted

Its a Government run educational program for Filipinos who did not complete high school.
Meaning it's same level of education as Filipin High School?

You are correct. I forgot to mention that part. Each graduate will received a High School Diploma which is issued by the Department of Education in Manila and signed by the Director of Education.

Feel free to ask any questions you have.

I will update this topic when her Diploma arrives.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Feel free to ask any questions you have.
Well. I wonder if they teach any (simple) percent counting at Philippine High School level  :)     because it's hard to find Filipins who can such.

Americano
Posted
Posted

Yes at ALS they teach about percentages. They learn how to convert fractions to percentages and percentages to fractions and how to figure things like what is 20 percent off of a dress that cost P300.?  I know this because I helped teach my wife and her brother at home.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
She received the results on Facebook today

Facebook again. I have read here that there is more and better info on the BI's facebook than on their official website. What is this world coming too?

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

It makes sense that the facebook page gives better, up to date information, they probably spend alot more time on facebook than the do actually working, God bless them for doing something that helps us while they are there. :)

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Just look at how some keep or try to upgrade their web sites and you will see why it is much better and easier for them to just do facebook .... nothing to plan or figure out .... just type away .... :thumbsup: :hystery: :hystery:

:cheersty:

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Americano .... that is some very good information .... first time I have ever heard mention of this on any Phils board in the past 20 so years that I've been reading them ..... kudos .... :thumbsup: :tiphat:

:cheersty:

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Yes at ALS they teach about percentages. They learn how to convert fractions to percentages and percentages to fractions and how to figure things like what is 20 percent off of a dress that cost P300.?  I know this because I helped teach my wife and her brother at home.

Good! I hope they teach corect. Some odd though so few of the Filipins, I have tested, answer corect even at a simple exanple as "How many percent are 1 of 5?"

• Like 1