Test Results For Als Students Finally Published

Americano
Posted
Posted

My wife's ALS teacher called this morning to congratulate her and to tell her that he will call her again when the Diplomas arrive. And, he said he has to wait until they arrive before he can set the Graduation date. Their Graduation will be in Cap and Gown.

My wife said she would receive a card too. Being confused, I asked what kind of card, an ID card, a Thank You card, what kind of car can it be. No she said its a school card and then I remembered. One of the requirements to apply for a job at a Gaisano is a card. Just saying card seems very strange especially since there are many kinds of cards. Where I come from in the USA we call it a Report Card. When I went to Elementary and High School every student had a Report Card which was kept at the school. Every 6 weeks our teacher or teachers would write our grade for that 6 weeks beside each subject. I guess the ALS Card will only have the Final Exam grade for each subject.

I still remember very well bringing my Report Card home every 6 weeks for a parent to sign it. I was praying I could catch my Mother alone so she would sign it without even looking at my grades. If my father saw some of my very low grades it would be like one of his favorite sayings, "It would be hell to pay."  In other words he would unleash the wrath of God, hehehe  He wasn't that bad but I was afraid to make him mad. I believe having some fear of a decent father can help a child become a better person.

In Carcar the ALS classes are every Tuesday and Thursday and the student could choose the morning class which is 9AM to 12 noon or the afternoon class which is 1pm to 4 pm. After a morning or afternoon class gets full then the student has no choice unless the student wants to wait until the next class begins. Sometimes there are more than 2 classes going at the same time. They are overlapping due to their start date. In Carcar a new ALS class started last month which was January and there should be a few more this year. I believe all of the classes this year will have to wait until about February of next year to get their exam results.

Oh, there was one other thing the teacher said today. Those who failed the final exam are not required to attend the class again, they can just take the next exam if they want to. This is very good news.

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Yes at ALS they teach about percentages. They learn how to convert fractions to percentages and percentages to fractions and how to figure things like what is 20 percent off of a dress that cost P300.?  I know this because I helped teach my wife and her brother at home.

Good! I hope they teach corect. Some odd though so few of the Filipins, I have tested, answer corect even at a simple exanple as "How many percent are 1 of 5?"

Wow, HS grads in Fils smarter than college students in US.  Percentage, you are lucky to get a person who can make change w/o the register telling them how much. Americano, I had to reread your test question, easier stated as 1 in five like the odds you will get the right food and change @ the  drive-thru window after midnight.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Yes at ALS they teach about percentages. They learn how to convert fractions to percentages and percentages to fractions and how to figure things like what is 20 percent off of a dress that cost P300.? I know this because I helped teach my wife and her brother at home.

Good! I hope they teach corect. Some odd though so few of the Filipins, I have tested, answer corect even at a simple exanple as "How many percent are 1 of 5?"

Now, Thomas, are you sure it's the Filipinos who had the answer wrong? :)

Sent by using a very long piece of string, a couple tin cans, 2 gaseous monkeys, Tapatalk and my Nexus 4

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Yes at ALS they teach about percentages. They learn how to convert fractions to percentages and percentages to fractions and how to figure things like what is 20 percent off of a dress that cost P300.? I know this because I helped teach my wife and her brother at home.

Now, Thomas, are you sure it's the Filipinos who had the answer wrong? :)

I BELIEVE 1 of 5 isn't 4 percent  :mocking:

A funny story is told about a successful Swedish businessman, who has very low education. (He buy cheap "left overs" all over the world and sell it cheap in Sweden. It started in a simple house in a village, but it's very big now and growing and growing still , many bus loads of customers are going there every day from other parts of Sweden, because he sell so cheap.) The story claim he have said:

"I buy it for 4 and sell it for 5 and for that 1 percent I pay tax."     :mocking:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Americano
Posted
Posted

My wife took her ALS final exam on October 17, 2013. She finally learned that their class graduation will be on April 4, 2014 which is almost 6 months later.

Everything involving the Government is so slow in the Philippines.

Here's some other information you may like to know:

ALS also has classes for Elementary students. Students who didn't complete Elementary School can complete it and get a Diploma at ALS which will qualify them to continue on to High School.

Philippines does not have a GED exam, which stands for Graduate Equivalency Diploma. 

Philippines has an ALS exam, which stands for Alternative Learning System.

What is the difference between a GED Diploma and an ALS Diploma?

In the USA a GED is equal to a High School Diploma.

An ALS Diploma, which is only issued in the Philippines and signed by the Director of Education, is not always accepted in place of a High School Diploma. A school or employer in the Philippines can refuse to accept an ALS Diploma as a required qualification.