Building Materials In Philippines And House Quality?

TedDBayer
Posted
Posted

I just spent 2 weeks in Cebu, didn't see where I'd like to buy. I wanted to see Argao and more ''province'' type places but didn't.I ran out of time. I hired a guide and with most housing areas she took me to see as soon as I got to the gate I said no. I saw Collingwood and Alegria Palms which were nice but I'm not used to shanties every where. The housing quality at Alegria made me wonder if there are better quality materials available. The windows were cheap but adequate but not the doors. Rear doors are hollow core something cheap we would use at home for interiors. The front wooden doors were also poor, cracks in the panels, easily broken into. Are better doors available with weather stripping and a proper threshold like prehung steel doors at home? These doors wouldn't stop rain from coming in with a wind or anything from crawling or slithering in. They could be broken down by a kid, what crap.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I saw some nice steel frame security doors at one new apartment I looked at here in Baguio. They had deadbolts top, middle and bottom all operated by one mechanism. So they are available.

TedDBayer
Posted
Posted (edited)

Anyone know costs for a decent door.? I want something weather proof too, not something that will not let rain, bugs, lizards or snakes in. Especially snakes.

They couldn't tell me if there was any insulation in the attic, probably not, but even insulation in walls pays. Concrete soaps up heat, when it gets cooler outside the walls act like an oven.

Edited by TedDBayer

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

Exists whatever you like, for as long as you pay for it. I made all my doors in my house from mahogany, custom made doors with zen design. It did not come cheap!!! Damn expensive doors but I love them.

• Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

You can have the best quality and strongest metal or wooden door ever made but it is useless without the proper framing to support it.

When we start building a house, special attention will be paid to reinforcement for the exterior doors. Not about to have someone kick in the door and the frame come with it!

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

You might look for a supplier of hospital doors, they usually come with frames because and ordinary frame is not going to sopport the weight, expensive though. A steel commercial door might be a compromise between quality, appearance and cost. Thresholds and doorsweeps should be findable to meet your desire even if you have to import them, then it's just a matter of price.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Anyone know costs for a decent door.? I want something weather proof too, not something that will not let rain, bugs, lizards or snakes in. Especially snakes.

I don't know the cost, but there are COMPACT wood doors, even with carved patterns, not costing much, because a bit poor family having one.

Many houses in Phils are built WITHOUT threshold, having an autostrada under it for insects and snakes  :mocking:  so you better tell extra about that to be sure, Not hard for a decent carpenter to make one, if he just understand what you want  :)

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Exists whatever you like, for as long as you pay for it. I made all my doors in my house from mahogany, custom made doors with zen design. It did not come cheap!!! Damn expensive doors but I love them.

What place made those nice doors? What cost?

TedDBayer
Posted
Posted

Steel insulated prehung doors are cheap at home, magnetic weather stripping, aluminum threshold with adjustable sill on door. I've built or reno'ed all my houses and helped my friends for years. My knees are too old to keep doing it now. I know how to build a house, what I saw in Phil. did not impress me for quality.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I so agree with you about the quality. Of course 10 years ago in the US I saw $450,000 tract homes that were not much better, falling apart before the first owners could move in.