Building Materials In Philippines And House Quality?

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

5 years ago 35.000p each door complete with installation and high quality spray varnish. You can get cheaper solid wood door for about 8.000p/piece (frame included but not varnishing or installation). Varnish it nice and will look great.

• Like 1

TedDBayer
Posted
Posted

Guess I'll need a good table saw and router :lol:

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Solid reinforced concrete home large overhangs R28 sidewalls and R36+/- roof. wood or fiberglass doors motion lights and multiple deadbolts.6-800 sq ft inside w/zoned central air lots of outdoor patio/deck. You have to be your own general contractor or hire someone familiar with reading and following blueprints.  Keep it small and tight and utilities will cost 50-70% less.  I am thinking of putting up a quadplex live in one for a bit, rent the others to ex-pats or foreign workers.

• Like 2

billygoat993
Posted
Posted

Price of doors depends on the wood used. If you want a really sturdy door go for Narra or molave and the door jamb should be at least made of yakal wood so it is durAble. What Joe used for his doors is a good wood too the grain especially once it gets stained but we used that for indoors since its softer than Narra and molave. If you are in Manila you can try Kengi Marketing they sell doors and custom made doors from wood to metal to a mixture of both etc. if you are in the province you can ask for the locals to make one for u but specify the wood. Narra usually bleeds greenish color when you poor water. Its heavy and hard.. Hope this helps

• Like 1

billygoat993
Posted
Posted

This is the Narra door with Molave that we used as main door cost us 48k pesos unstained jambs are priced separately. 9 ft height double door. Our other door cost from 3-5 k Tanguile and Mahogany are the type of wood that was used.

This is the Narra door with Molave that we used as main door cost us 48k pesos unstained jambs are priced separately. 9 ft height double door. Our other door cost from 3-5 k Tanguile and Mahogany are the type of wood that was used.

post-3921-0-22688500-1393285956_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Hewy09
Posted
Posted

Wow that some nice wood work. I have see some very talented work in my travels in the Philippines.

I have worked for a custom wood furniture maker back in the early 90's and I personally will be making my own doors when the time comes. I just need to learn all the local types of wood available and there characteristics.

Sent from my iPhone. buhay ay mahusay na! magsaya.

billygoat993
Posted
Posted

Most popular and expensive wood here is Narra its hard but also it is prohibited to cut it, though you can still get it. Narra coming from Isabela or North are harder compared to the ones coming from other parts maybe its because the tree is more mature/old. It took our supplier 6 months to be able to supply red variety of narra yet it wasn't enough. Personally i like Mahogany for flooring and door i like the grain when it gets stained. But they have big voids that needs to be patched and its a softer wood. Narra for me is too expensive and it can not be stained just cleAr coating. Molave and yakal are hardwood which we used for door jambs for exterior doors since we have 27 doors we used Mahogany Jambs for indoors like bedroom and those that gets wet or exposed to water and moisture we used the Yakal. I have noticed that some jambs/doors expand when it gets cold particularly the Mahogany. No problem with the Yakal and Narra so far.

TedDBayer
Posted
Posted

I'm not interested in wood doors. I want a steel door with magnetic weather stripping and an aluminum threshold, something that will keep rain and creatures from crawling in. I can buy a door like this cheap at home.

TedDBayer
Posted
Posted

BTW, I've never seen a cockroach before going to Philippines. I thought the small ones were normal, then I saw the big ones. This is one reason I don't want doors with big enough gaps for them to get in, also snakes. I'd scream like a little girl if a snake got in.

• Like 1