Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab3

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

What size do you have... A 7, 8 or 10 inch? I have a 7 inch tab 3 and it charges from the charger, from laptop (3 different laptops) and from an emergency USB car charger.

Sent by using a very long piece of string, a couple tin cans, 2 gaseous monkeys, Tapatalk and my Nexus 4

I have the 7inch Tab3 2014 model.
I'll save you a bit of confusion for later... Samsung hasn't released a 2014 version of the 7 inch yet... The 8 inch and the 10 inch? Yes! But not the 7 inch. And that is why there is a lot of confusion over what it can do. There is a lot that the 2 new models can do that the 7 inch can't.

I was lent the 8 and 10 inch models and given the 7 inch so I would write a review on them. Honestly? The 2 newer ones are better but still garbage. There are much better tablets out there. And the 7 inch I will be using as a book reader and making the occasional note with only. It is pure garbage. If you want to get a decent tablet for minor costs, look at the Nexus line - specifically the 7 inch. The 10 inch is still good though. And if you want a phone attached? Get the LTE version and stick a SIP or VOIP Phone on it. We Canadians are lucky as we can add on one called Fongo which gives us free calling back to just about anywhere in Canada. There are also a couple that work for the Philippines but it gets really confusing because of the SIM experience. Or, if you can live with a 5 inch screen, get a Nexus 5 and stick Fongo on it. You now have a small tablet with phone capabilities to the Philippines and a VOIP phone service to Canada for free. And it's not locked to any carrier. Bonus! Or get one of the ones from the major Philippine companies... I myself prefer the MyPhone.

Yeah, I know I'm off topic but not really. It appears Samsung doesn't care if these issues get fixed... They just want the big bucks. Do the only way to get past the issue is dump the Samsung and go with one that works!

Sent by using a very long piece of string, a couple tin cans, 2 gaseous monkeys, Tapatalk and my Nexus 4

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers/tablet/samsung/galaxy-tab-3-7-inch-8gb-wi-fi-white-sku-419113/

7 inch model.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

What size do you have... A 7, 8 or 10 inch? I have a 7 inch tab 3 and it charges from the charger, from laptop (3 different laptops) and from an emergency USB car charger.

I'll save you a bit of confusion for later... Samsung hasn't released a 2014 version of the 7 inch yet... The 8 inch and the 10 inch? Yes! But not the 7 inch. And that is why there is a lot of confusion over what it can do. There is a lot that the 2 new models can do that the 7 inch can't.

I was lent the 8 and 10 inch models and given the 7 inch so I would write a review on them. Honestly? The 2 newer ones are better but still garbage. There are much better tablets out there. And the 7 inch I will be using as a book reader and making the occasional note with only. It is pure garbage. If you want to get a decent tablet for minor costs, look at the Nexus line - specifically the 7 inch. The 10 inch is still good though. And if you want a phone attached? Get the LTE version and stick a SIP or VOIP Phone on it. We Canadians are lucky as we can add on one called Fongo which gives us free calling back to just about anywhere in Canada. There are also a couple that work for the Philippines but it gets really confusing because of the SIM experience. Or, if you can live with a 5 inch screen, get a Nexus 5 and stick Fongo on it. You now have a small tablet with phone capabilities to the Philippines and a VOIP phone service to Canada for free. And it's not locked to any carrier. Bonus! Or get one of the ones from the major Philippine companies... I myself prefer the MyPhone.

Yeah, I know I'm off topic but not really. It appears Samsung doesn't care if these issues get fixed... They just want the big bucks. Do the only way to get past the issue is dump the Samsung and go with one that works!

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers/tablet/samsung/galaxy-tab-3-7-inch-8gb-wi-fi-white-sku-419113/

7 inch model.

Yup, exact same as the one I got here. They were on sale recently for as low as $127.99 cdn...

Want to hear something scary? I know a guy who reviewed the Tab 3 and the older Tab 2 7 inch... He's convinced that the Tab 2 is a much better product!

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I was actually thinking about the Tegra Note as well.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I was actually thinking about the Tegra Note as well.

Another very very nice tablet.. Fastest tablet there is... And all for around $300 cdn... (I specify CDN as I have no idea what it will sell for elsewhere). It does have a few glitches and groans but no worse than any other really good tablet in this range... Make sure you get the 2nd quarter 2014 version. Almost the same as the previous model but has proper LTE.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
Now, if you really want to get serious about properly working hardware, it's hard to beat a MacBook... Unless it's a netbook running Ubuntu...!

I have used Powerbook and now Macbook for the last 10 years. I will not buy another Apple product. They are just becoming too paternalistic and linux based laptops for everyday use are much better now than years ago.

My next laptop will run Ubuntu.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Now, if you really want to get serious about properly working hardware, it's hard to beat a MacBook... Unless it's a netbook running Ubuntu...!

I have used Powerbook and now Macbook for the last 10 years. I will not buy another Apple product. They are just becoming too paternalistic and linux based laptops for everyday use are much better now than years ago.

Do any laptops come with Ubuntu (or nothing)?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Do any laptops come with Ubuntu (or nothing)?

You can get strictly a pc/ laptop / notebook running Ubuntu (or other Linux flavors) but the manufacturers usually charge like you have Windows installed. Plus it's easier to just buy a decent machine with Windows and just dump it out or, smarter yet, install Ubuntu in a dual boot with Windows. That way, for the date times you really need a windows machine, it's there. And, since Ubuntu is a free download...!

One thing to note: there are different types of Ubuntu that can be installed. On my netbook, I run an LXDE (lightweight) desktop that looks a lot like XP. The pc had standard Ubuntu. My laptops are running Ubuntu Studio with one set up for a recording studio and the other is for audio/video editing. Both are also added to so that I can write arrivals on either. There are several more versions of Ubuntu you can set up and most can be changed simply on your log-in... There is an operational version now for smart phones and tablets as well! Makes android and Apple look sad as they are making your phone into a full blown computer!

OK, the Geek be quiet now.

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

So is a chromebook okay?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

So is a chromebook okay?

That depends... Are you always going to have internet access so you can always get up and running? Remember! No internet - no Chromebook!