Earth Bag Homes And Domes

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Cebu Rocks, I think bank repo property is what you are looking for, search from bank to bank. I think there are many ways to skin this cat of a place to live.
Well.

/They are often cheap BUT I wouldn't buy any such, because the old owner with friends can be angry because they were FORCED by bank to sell. Because they have hard to revenche on the bank, it's risk they do it on the land buyer...

/BUT there are many cheap lands for sale rural anyway, because allmost all them, who want such land, don't have money, so it's an extreem buyers market. If wanting an EXTRA cheap bargain then look for land they sell urgent to e g pay a hospital bill. In such cases they were forced to sell too, BUT they took the decision THEMSELVES, so no reason to be angry at the buyer. Perhaps they even feel the opposite = "resquer"   :)  when they needed money fast.

I'm not totally hooked on buying land in the wifes name and building, renting may be a better proposition.
An option can be own house YOURSELF, while the land is long time leased, from wife or from old owner if he agree to that. If old owner want money, then it can be a "mix" =Loan him same amount as he want to sell for, with the land as security*  :)   Adjust loan interest and lease fee so they suit good enough.

*Although if it isn't titled there can be legal problems. Untitled land can't be protected proper, because can't be registered as security for loan.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Most of the cement homes I have seen here are built with the hollow block concrete.  And the quality of the blocks is horrid.  They build the hollow block wall then fill it with concrete for strength, and then (if they have the money) a thin layer inside and out for appearances.  Going that route I would rather go with the dirt bags, then cement or stucco it.  More solid, probably better insulation, and some soundproofing. 

But I am happy renting for now.  I would have to be damn sure of the location and the wife before I spent the money to buy or build.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Most of the cement homes I have seen here are built with the hollow block concrete.  And the quality of the blocks is horrid.  They build the hollow block wall then fill it with concrete for strength, and then (if they have the money) a thin layer inside and out for appearances.  Going that route I would rather go with the dirt bags, then cement or stucco it.  More solid, probably better insulation, and some soundproofing. 

But I am happy renting for now.  I would have to be damn sure of the location and the wife before I spent the money to buy or build.

The cement that they use in and outside of the hollow blocks is mixed 13 to 1. Not any better than the blocks themselves. You can get them to make your own blocks and mix the cement to suit you.

Curley
Posted
Posted

Earth bag houses can also include a domed earthbag roof..... best of both worlds

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have seen pics of domed houses that someone put a regular looking roof on.  It looks a lot more like a standard house.  But still has the benefits of a dome (except in a big enough storm the useless roof may blow off?)

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

This really does have my interest.  We are going to do serious renovations (more than likely tear down and re-build) in the future, and the earth bag homes and domes look like a very sensible option.  I am not a handyman, so I will still have to hire a crew.  Is it really simple enough to build that a regular construction crew can easily pick up the technique if I were to show them a video?

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

Percentage-wise, for materials, how much cheaper would it be than building a wood-framed cement house?

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Cost wise I have done a rough guesstimate

500k for a 800 sqft home.

This is for a pretty simple place with running water ,power and septic

The bag building is cheap its like all homes the money is in the finish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Cost wise I have done a rough guesstimate

500k for a 800 sqft home.

This is for a pretty simple place with running water ,power and septic

The bag building is cheap its like all homes the money is in the finish

500k for "Filipin" finnish?

If build rural the cost for the toilet and VVS can be reduced by having a composting toilet and just let other waste water pour out somewhere it suit, which can be done without environmential problem. Then no need of septic tank so no emptying costs either. A "no smell" easy installed composting toilet cost around 1000 USD, but if include it in the plan when building the house, then a big tank easy emptying type can be built by yourself rather easy. I'm talking about an indoor toilet. (NOT emptying poo  :)  in the composting toilets, it's ready high nutricion earth in the end it's emptied.)The smelling outdoor toilets cost of course much less  :lol: