Earth Bag Homes And Domes

Curley
Posted
Posted

This really does have my interest.  We are going to do serious renovations (more than likely tear down and re-build) in the future, and the earth bag homes and domes look like a very sensible option.  I am not a handyman, so I will still have to hire a crew.  Is it really simple enough to build that a regular construction crew can easily pick up the technique if I were to show them a video?

Yes, it really is simple, There are plenty of videos etc on youtube. Take a look at this simpler roundhouse  http://www.earthbagbuilding.com/projects/roundhouse.htm

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

Cost wise I have done a rough guesstimate 500k for a 800 sqft home. This is for a pretty simple place with running water ,power and septic The bag building is cheap its like all homes the money is in the finish

Thanks for the estimate. Now, just to clarify - is this "pretty simple place" finished simply, or is it unfinished?

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

Curley, thanks for the link!

robert k
Posted
Posted

Define finished? I would be fine with a polished concrete floor and they can be spruced up even more with paint or stain. Papercrete and paint on the inside would finish the walls inexpensively.

Electrical could be any price, are you going to have it wired to US code with an outlet every 8 feet, or just where you want and need outlets? Pull a couple extra sets of wires to the first junction box from the breaker box for future need. I would have bench seating along one wall in the livingroom to accomodate larger numbers of guests on rare occasions, the benches being storage chests under the seat. Cabinetry and wardrobes depend on your taste and pocketbook. Kitchen counter and cabinets could be wood or 2" concrete counter top, with waterproof membrane, tiled with floor tile, with drop in 2 compartment stainless or cast iron and enamel sink, it's not granite but attractive and cheap.

I used to be in construction and it would be pretty easy to design the plumbing so you only have one "wet" interior wall, with kitchen on one side and a laundry and CR (combination laundry/CR with entry from kitchen(or livingroom) and another CR for master bedroom entry from  master bedroom) rooms on the opposite side, no roof vent penetration, upsize drains for continuous waste and vent, use air admittance valve for toilets. Fixtures could cost as much as you would like. I value function over form so I would probably want to make all my own faucets from ball valves and pipe so I have a good chance of them working for 20-40 years with zero maintainance. Probably cost as much as two Chinese faucets but I think I would be changing all the Chinese faucets every 5 years at least so cheaper in the long run.

Small projects are fun for me after building Hotels, American Airlines center, Texas Motor Speedway, schools/colleges, churches, prisons and some fairly nice houses. :)

• Like 1

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Finished as in 1 bathroom, concrete floor , simple doors , windows, nothing fancy,concrete counters . This is why its so hard to estimate  if you use quality plumbing fixtures and electrical fixtures you could double the build cost over night .   My guesstamite on the shell  and foundation with local labour  is under 5k  with5 k for finishing so yes cheap fixtures . Tons of online stuff about building earth ships most say around 10k even in the west  but those are dependent on using recycled materials  Eg:windows and doors etc 

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
Mickey
Posted
Posted

I just got finished with a ferrocement dome house here in Palawan and looking to build a earthbag house next .

Should be cheaper unless I need to buy much DIRT..

Anyone build one yet?

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I just got finished with a ferrocement dome house here in Palawan
Nice.  Any photos?  :)

Mickey
Posted
Posted

Plenty but not sure how to upload photos

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Click here for detailed instructions;

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/10518-to-save-a-picture/

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Plenty but not sure how to upload photos

Hi

Click on the "More reply" button bottom right. When the editor opens click on the "choose files" button on the bottom left. Then find file from your computer and click open, it will upload and you will see it at the bottom of the editor, then to the right click on add to post and your done.

A bit of reading here, http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/9938-basic-posting-tutorial/?p=47491