Blue Ray & Dvd's

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Does anyone know if you can watch blue ray discs on a regular dvd player??? thanks

brock
Posted
Posted

ordinaary dvd player does not read blue ray

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Is it possible to do the opposite? Can you watch DVDs on a blue ray player?

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

As a general rule, units can step down but not up. You are only as fast as your slowest component.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I haven't done a huge amount of research on the subject but from what I understand, Blue Ray merely is a more compact form to record and store the information and it does not provide a superior display, I believe it could but I don't think they are putting more information than on a regular DVD. I believe that you could probably put 50 movies or more on a single Blue Ray disk though.

brock
Posted
Posted

Is it possible to do the opposite? Can you watch DVDs on a blue ray player?

Yes JJ, Their is  no problem with that

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I haven't done a huge amount of research on the subject but from what I understand, Blue Ray merely is a more compact form to record and store the information and it does not provide a superior display, I believe it could but I don't think they are putting more information than on a regular DVD. I believe that you could probably put 50 movies or more on a single Blue Ray disk though.

Generally speaking, BluRay will provide technically superior picture and sound, compared to DVD.  Of course there are other factors that might contribute to them looking and sounding the same.   If your screen is not up to snuff, no need for a BluRay to get a better picture.  If your audio system is not capable of 5:1 or better, no need for BluRay sound.  If the source movie is not hi def, no need for BluRay.  If you have a kick ass home theater, you want BluRay!

The BluRays are huge discs, so they have room for a lot of extras or even different versions of a movie.  That is nice but I have not used it much.  I have about 40 BluRay but I have not bought one in a long time, because I have never seen one here.

Another plus is that they have a hard, scratch resistant surface, so you will not get so may "skips" like you get on often used DVDs.  So if you have something that is played a lot, like a kid's favorite movie, it might be worth it to get the BluRay version.

Recently I have been downloading a lot of movies and most are BluRay.  Usually the picture is very good, but I have found that the sound is often not very good.  You get what you pay for!

If you have a Sony Playstation, they can play BluRay.

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Essentially, DVD SL is 4.7GB. DL is 8.5GB. BluRay however is 25GB SL and 50 GB DL.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Essentially, DVD SL is 4.7GB. DL is 8.5GB. BluRay however is 25GB SL and 50 GB DL.

God I wish i had a BluRay burner .... just think of the number of games I could burn on a 25GB or 50GB disk ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

:cheersty:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

God I wish i had a BluRay burner .... just think of the number of games I could burn on a 25GB or 50GB disk ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

:cheersty:

They are cheap now!

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ablu-ray%20burner

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=blank+blu+ray+discs&sprefix=blank+blu%2Caps%2C498&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ablank+blu+ray+discs

• Like 1