Blue Ray & Dvd's

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

Essentially, DVD SL is 4.7GB. DL is 8.5GB. BluRay however is 25GB SL and 50 GB DL.

God I wish i had a BluRay burner .... just think of the number of games I could burn on a 25GB or 50GB disk ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

:cheersty:

i have a blu ray burner in my rig mike hahaha , yes you can burn allot games but it honestly takes for ever to burn 50 gigs then again my blu ray burner is older so im sure its faster now ! :)

:thumbsup:

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Essentially, DVD SL is 4.7GB. DL is 8.5GB. BluRay however is 25GB SL and 50 GB DL.

God I wish i had a BluRay burner .... just think of the number of games I could burn on a 25GB or 50GB disk ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

They are cheap now!

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ablu-ray%20burner

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=blank+blu+ray+discs&sprefix=blank+blu%2Caps%2C498&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ablank+blu+ray+discs

Wow a lot of them sell for under $100 which means $200 here .... :hystery:  ..... if you can find them .... may ask around in some of the better computer stores ..... they would have to order it I'm sure along with any disks ..... but like O-U-C says they ain't a speed demon .... a lot are about 16x ..... but it does give me something to research ..... in my spare time that is ..... :mocking: :mocking:  ..... but wait .... that's all I have is spare time .... :tiphat: :hystery:

Some of these new games are getting really stupid ... the one I'm trying to download now "Thief" is 24.6g ..... that will take over 3 DL disks ....

Edited by Mike S

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Yes JJ, Their is  no problem with that

Thanks. The RV I am purchasing includes a Blue Ray player as standard equipment. We have DVDs of television series like "West Wing," "Gilmore Girls" and "Northern Exposure" It would be fun to watch 2 or 3 episodes a night the entire series from start to finish. My wife has the complete collection of Shirley Temple movies. Not my cup of tea, but we need to compromise.

robert k
Posted
Posted

Mike, can you not put those big games on an SD card or flash drive? Will it not run?

• 1 month later...
davewe
Posted
Posted

Blu rays are dramatically superior to DVDs - if you have the equipment to make it worth its while. IOW, do you have a large screen TV that supports 1080p or at least 1080i? Do you have a 5.1 or better sound system? I haven't compared much but it's hard to believe that blu ray on your computer monitor would appear much different, unless you have a very large monitor.

Also, while blu ray markets itself as superior in picture quality, the audio superiority is at least as dramatic. But again that presupposes you have a high end system.

Then there is the issue of software. Does your 80s TV series that was ported from DVD to Blu ray actually look and sound better just because it is blu ray - probably not or not by much. Does your black and white movie from the 30s look or sound better? Again probably not unless it was restored or significantly remastered. Some companies like Criterion are restoring some old classics and making them look pristine, but your "Charlie Chan meets the Wolfman" ain't gonna look better on blu ray.

Where blu ray really shines are on modern, special effects laden films. For me therefore if the flick is a current fave (like the best Marvel movies) I buy the blu ray. otherwise I just steal the torrent. Oops - did I admit that?

IOW films like The Dark Knight or Ironman 3 or even an "oldie" like Saving Private Ryan are incredible on blu ray. The average comedy - makes no difference for me.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

OK, going a bit off topic!   :)  If you want a fantastic music DVD that rivals Blu Ray quality, buy The Eagles "When Hell Freezes Over".  Fantastic sound (DTS or Dolby Surround) and great HD video.  If you like the Eagles then this is a must have.

I just re-bought it and it will be coming in a BB box next month.  I left my original DVD in my Corvette when I sold it and it would have been a hassle to get it back, so I finally bought another last week on Amazon.  I guess it is becoming a collectors item as some sites were asking up to $90 for it.  You can get it for $23.95 on Amazon.

That one is not available in Blu-Ray but this one is:

http://www.amazon.com/Farewell-Live-Melbourne-Blu-ray-Eagles/dp/B00AR1G3FS/ref=sr_1_5?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1397008354&sr=1-5&keywords=the+eagles

It is probably the same concert music but I just went ahead and bought it too, for $16.88.  It has very good reviews on Amazon so it must be nice.