If Not The Philippines, Then Where?

Jeff R
Posted
Posted

Recently there was a thread in which some long-time expats expressed some disenchantment with living in the Philippines. The reasons varied. I'll be arriving to settle March 13. For you American expats who maybe haven't been back in a while, I say you can have it. The United States that I grew up in is not the United States today. It is one of the main reasons I chose to retire overseas. Regardless of my perspective on America, or your perspective on the Philippines, I would be curious to know if you have become dissatisfied with the Phils where would you now to choose to settle. Thailand, Cambodia, Central America or back to your native country?  

• Like 4

Curley
Posted
Posted

I spent years looking at various countries, spent months in the Phils after deciding that was where I should go. Finally ended up in Colombia, South America, however I may end up importing a Filipina to Colombia.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

Jeff, like you, for me the US is not the same place I was born anymore. My story is I saved up quite a bit and then lost it all when I became paralysed. I have been ambulatory for a few years now and have made some money back but I need a reasonably priced place if not really cheap. I could retire to rural Florida, for instance because my back kills me when it's cold.

From what I have seen, non first world countries that are recommended for retirement are usually centered on a city or couple of cities in that country because outside of that there isn't much, and one piece of equatiorial dirt looks much like another. I like the RP, including the month I spent living in a nipa hut on a farm with a spectacular view of mountains whenever the haze let up a little, great people who I could communicate with in english even if they wouldn't speak it. I met online a wonderful intelligent young woman from the Philippines but if I had not, I would be looking at Thailand, partly because there is so much information already, although I think it is not as cheap as it used to be because the word is out. I know a nice Thai lady here in Ft. Worth and she tells me that to live an identical lifestyle, that it costs just as much as it would in Ft. Worth Texas, which is reasonable. The recent unrest in Thailand might make things uncomfortable if not dangerous so I would take it off the menue for a little while.

At this moment, I would probably try Cambodia, I would enjoy sight seeing there, they use the USD and from what I have heard you can get services although the need for high speed internet may restrict where you can live. Visas are simpler, 1 year work visa for $230, it would be tough to beat that with a stick. Then too, if you are over 50 I believe they will not let you marry a local, "gee honey, I would but it's against the law". Much simpler than the RP. :)

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Much of Florida is like living in Puerto Rico or Cuba. That would be the last place I would go back to. If I went back it would be Texas but not likely. Probably stay here and look for good schools and tutors. I've already had my life, most of it anyway.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I spent years looking at various countries, spent months in the Phils after deciding that was where I should go. Finally ended up in Colombia, South America, however I may end up importing a Filipina to Colombia.

I was looking at Cali and Medillin, Colombia before I came to PI. What city are you near to? I am surprised that you may import a woman. She must be a good one that you know. Spanish women are very attractive but I am not sure how it is to live with one. Also, I would have to fly to Miami to connect and flying to USA is a pain now.

• Like 1

Jeff R
Posted
Posted

I agree Mike B. I live in Florida now and happen to be in Zephyrhills. Interesting in that it is a very large retirement/snowbird community. I saw exactly what life would be like retired here. NO THANKS! I strongly considered Panama but living with a Japanese woman for 17 years I come to be fascinated with the Asian culture. I also prefer Asian women to Western or Latina women. Not exactly sure if Filipinas are Asian or South Pacific. Another subject for another thread. Anyway, my next choice was Thailand until a good friend told me to strongly consider the Philippines. Yep! I'll be joining all of my fellow expats March 13. What the future holds for me, I don't know. I will not be returning to the US other than to visit family. After I am settled I plan on visiting Cambodia. There may be a future there.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Mike B, I did say rural Florida, it's not Cuba there yet, and I could fish every day! I used to swim with the alligators when I lived in Land O' Lakes in Pascal county and the fishing was good! :)

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I hear ya, I lived about 30 miles south of Orlando. Loved the wildlife there, really amazing. It's the one thing I really miss.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

If you are good with languages?  A friend just came back from 5 weeks in VietNam and says it would be a fantastic alternative to Philippines except that few speak any English.  It is not the same VietNam the vets remember any more.

• Like 2

Curley
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was looking at Cali and Medillin, Colombia before I came to PI. What city are you near to? I am surprised that you may import a woman. She must be a good one that you know. Spanish women are very attractive but I am not sure how it is to live with one. Also, I would have to fly to Miami to connect and flying to USA is a pain now.

I live an hours drive from Medellin, I'm a country boy at heart so have a place in the country overlooking a lake, 6,000 metres of gardens a 3 bed house plus maids quarters and a small pool IN MY NAME. I have known my filipina for two years, 26 1/2 slim, intelligent, she's learning Spanish on her own with some help from me and a cheap tablet i bought her.

Filipinas can visit Colombia without a visa for an initial 90 days and can then ask for an extension of up to 90 days more, we plan on a 90 trial.

I have a similar aged young local woman very interested, not as slim but a lovely girl........ single mum with two young boys and lives with her dad who is my age. Not sure that I want to take on a family. Slim attractive local girls of that age are not interested in a silly old fart unless they have kids.

Edited by Curley
  • Like 3