If Not The Philippines, Then Where?

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

I began disengaging from Thailand after the 2006 coup. I knew what was going to happen and that it was going to beckon in a long period of instability and although i knew it wouldn't affect me directly I still knew it would not be as much fun anymore. By 2009, it was coming to a head and when i left Thailand that year I knew I would not be coming back soon. And I have not been back there since. But there is nothing wrong with the Thais themselves. They are basically just like Filipinos. It is the Khmers who are a bit strange. i have met people who have lived in Cambodia for years and frankly admitted that they still had not a clue about what made them tick, and i understood what they meant.

Americano
Posted
Posted

Today it was announced that the Thailand military declared Martial Law so I guess its not a good place to live in right now.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Today it was announced that the Thailand military declared Martial Law so I guess its not a good place to live in right now.

Yes. But when such happened some years ago, then it was (almost) no difference for people living in provinces, just stay away from government offices in the region capitals to not risk to get hurt by crossfire/bomb if it became a confrontation.

I find it VERY GOOD they protest against bad governments - Philippines need more such protests -

BUT I find it VERY BAD many of them protesting are PAID by the opponent politicians, which were crap them too, back when they had the power, and then made the other side similar...  So there are no good political alternative available to vote at, at least not at country level. But I find it funny when some Thai take money from MORE than one candidate to vote for them, and then they vote as they want themselves anyway   :lol:

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Mate, I have heaps of friends that have lived through countless coups in Thailand as full-time expats and been talking to a few today, they reckon that life still goes on, just stay away from the flashpoints, which they're all very aware of, and nothing changes.  Good friends of mine own the Roo Bar in Pattaya on Walking Street;  They reckon that business is fine.  I put it to you this way:  Would you not be in the US anywhere whilst the Rodney King riots were happening?  You get my point.  True, certain areas, be a dick and you'll get hammered, but for the most part life goes on. 

Edit:  What normally happens is the Royal Family says enough is enough and orders democratic elections, then it happens. Thais, even the military, hold the Royal Family in the utmost respect, almost to the point of worship.  There's a reason that Thailand, unique amongst SE Asian countries, has never been a colony of a foreign power, ever.  That and the fact that they kicked just about every whities arse that tried it on.  Much like the Maoris in NZ, there's a reason they have a treaty that's upheld in law whereas most other European colonised countries with indigenous peoples don't. 

Source: Me.  I did my research Masters in "A comparison of the reconciliation process of the indigenous peoples of Australia and New Zealand" so I may have half a clue as to what happens with regards to colonialism and current governments in the Oceanic/SE Asian region. 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Well. The King is worshipt, but very ill and the crown prince isn't popular, so unclear what will happen if the king die.

Good or bad having military take the power is the question. Both the crap political parts know such will probably happen if they just pay enough to make problematic enough protests...

If not having a profesional army, such can't happen, because if almost the whole army would be common people doing obligatoric military service for a short period (as e g in Sweden) then it's no chance anyone can make the big part of the army would support a coup...

There's a reason that Thailand, unique amongst SE Asian countries, has never been a colony of a foreign power, ever.
Not only unique in SE Asia, unique in the World  :) 

I'm pretty sure the only other one is Sweden.    Even the world stars at colonisation  = UK is colonised   :)     

(=Normand Wikings took England by the battle of Hastings 1066, after the English Army was exhaused after had fight other Wikings a few days earlier in East of England, so beside the battle, they had to walk fast and far too to reach Hastings.)

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

My 2nd choice was Thailand so if I get sick of the PI's I would go to Chiang Mai.  But I had no problems with the US.  I could go back to Texas - but I would have to get a job ha ha.  If money was not an issue I would live in Hawaii, with no hesitation!

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'd like Thailand too but probably Koh Samui.  After that Lombok in Indonesia; I'm relatively fluent in Indonesian so that's a bonus, the surfing is also great so another plus for me.  It's Bali but without Kuta, not a bad thing to my mind.  Batam Island, just a quick ferry ride from Singapore was a serious consideration for a long time as well.  When in the Navy, we spent up to 2-3 months a year in Singapore over the course of any 12 months and when the Lion City lost it's allure we'd hop on the ferry and head to Batam.  It's also where the HBO series Serangoon Road was filmed for all the trivia buffs.  

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

There's a reason that Thailand, unique amongst SE Asian countries, has never been a colony of a foreign power, ever.  That and the fact that they kicked just about every whities arse that tried it on. 

that is just not true, although I could easily imagine a militarist Thai nationalist trying to make such a claim. The Thais are fiercely proud of being able to claim they are the only country in Asia that managed to avoid colonisation but how they managed to avoid it, basically just boiled down to luck. They were able to 'exploit' their unique position of being in between the British and French spheres of influence in south east Asia, who both of them, the British and French alike, saw the value - with a bit of 'prodding'  from the Thais - of having Siam as a 'buffer state' between the two spheres. The Thais basically played one of against the other for a period of decades . As such, the avoidance of colonisation should be seen if anything, as victory for the Thai diplomatic service, and not the military one.

the Thai military did not 'kick the arse' of anybody, until they defeated the French in the French-Thai war of 1942. A largely forgotten war, these days. It was however the first time that an Asian power ever defeated a western one - over a decade before the Vietnamese defeated the at French Dien Bien Phu. This was a brilliant, opportunist victory for the Thais and led to them considerably expanding their territory. Territory which they still keep, to this day.

and Thai diplomacy won here too because they managed, incredibly really in retrospect, to keep these - the east of today's Thailand - 'spoils of war', despite being on the losing side in WW2. Because the Thais declared war on both Britain and the United States on the same day, January 25, 1942. Another thing that is almost forgotten today. You will never see any reference to this statement of fact, in any Thai museum. They have shoved it, under the carpet.

the United States allowed the Thais to get away with this, but did not forget that the Thais had declared war against them. They exacted their price when the Vietnam war escalated and the USA got involved. And so Thailand got turned into a military base, for the United States during that period. It was only then, that everything was forgiven and the Thais and the US resumed their normal status, interrupted by the short period of the Japanese occupation of Thailand, of being firm allies.

it is a matter of debate as to whether Thailand was ever colonised, or not. I would say no, they weren't. But there is no question that the Thais were invaded and occupied, if not colonised by the Japanese.

Jake
Posted
Posted

There's a reason that Thailand, unique amongst SE Asian countries, has never been a colony of a foreign power, ever.  That and the fact that they kicked just about every whities arse that tried it on. 

that is just not true, although I could easily imagine a militarist Thai nationalist trying to make such a claim. The Thais are fiercely proud of being able to claim they are the only country in Asia that managed to avoid colonisation but how they managed to avoid it, basically just boiled down to luck. They were able to 'exploit' their unique position of being in between the British and French spheres of influence in south east Asia, who both of them, the British and French alike, saw the value - with a bit of 'prodding'  from the Thais - of having Siam as a 'buffer state' between the two spheres. The Thais basically played one of against the other for a period of decades . As such, the avoidance of colonisation should be seen if anything, as victory for the Thai diplomatic service, and not the military one.

the Thai military did not 'kick the arse' of anybody, until they defeated the French in the French-Thai war of 1942. A largely forgotten war, these days. It was however the first time that an Asian power ever defeated a western one - over a decade before the Vietnamese defeated the at French Dien Bien Phu. This was a brilliant, opportunist victory for the Thais and led to them considerably expanding their territory. Territory which they still keep, to this day.

and Thai diplomacy won here too because they managed, incredibly really in retrospect, to keep these - the east of today's Thailand - 'spoils of war', despite being on the losing side in WW2. Because the Thais declared war on both Britain and the United States on the same day, January 25, 1942. Another thing that is almost forgotten today. You will never see any reference to this statement of fact, in any Thai museum. They have shoved it, under the carpet.

the United States allowed the Thais to get away with this, but did not forget that the Thais had declared war against them. They exacted their price when the Vietnam war escalated and the USA got involved. And so Thailand got turned into a military base, for the United States during that period. It was only then, that everything was forgiven and the Thais and the US resumed their normal status, interrupted by the short period of the Japanese occupation of Thailand, of being firm allies.

it is a matter of debate as to whether Thailand was ever colonised, or not. I would say no, they weren't. But there is no question that the Thais were invaded and occupied, if not colonised by the Japanese.

Hey guys,

This subject about Thailand (Siam) is very interesting.  I'm a history student primarily concern about the rise

and fall of a sovereign nation.  I sincerely hope this discussion continues in a healthy debate and NOT go into

sideline bickering or off topic.  Speaking of which.....perhaps we should open up another topic entitled

Turmoil in Thailand, Past and Present.

The OP written by Jeff R is requesting what other places to visit-stay, instead of the Philippines.  Personally,

I think a trip down south to Central America to explore future retirement communities would be my choice.

But in any country that Judy and I explore, we need to remain flexible to pack those suitcases again.  

Actually, we would probably end up in PI anyway.  I mean, where else can you get some nice cold halo-halo?

• Like 2

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

well, there has just been a another coup in jolly old Siam about 7 hours ago see here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-27517591

they are saying on some of the sites that there has been 11 coups in Thailand, since 1932.

but that is not true as those 11, are only the successful ones.